PDA

View Full Version : 12% Say U.S. Should Be World's Policeman, 74% Opposed

RonPaulFanInGA
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/united_nations/12_say_u_s_should_be_world_s_policeman

As President Obama draws America back from the "nation-building" era of his predecessor, George W. Bush, just 12% of U.S. voters continue to believe that the United States should be the world's policeman.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 74% of voters disagree and oppose the United States in such a role.

Lisle16
09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Most Americans believe in friendly relations with other nations and a non-interventionist foreign policy.

If only Congress represented most Americans.

Cowlesy
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
"No I don't believe in being world-cops, but we should win Iraq and Afghanistan" --- 80% of Republican Voters (in my non-scientific, cynical mind)

erowe1
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/united_nations/12_say_u_s_should_be_world_s_policeman

So why do people who do want us to police the world overwhelmingly win congressional and presidential elections? Seriously, what do we have to do to get people to vote for what they actually want?

And what is with the opening line of that article. "As President Obama draws America back from the "nation-building" era of his predecessor, George W. Bush..."? Is that guy serious?

Lisle16
09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
So why do people who do want us to police the world overwhelmingly win congressional and presidential elections? Seriously, what do we have to do to get people to vote for what they actually want?

Most Americans vote for the person they know, who is the incumbent. Also, congresspeople cultivate relationships with their constituents carefully.

erowe1
09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Most Americans vote for the person they know, who is the incumbent. Also, congresspeople cultivate relationships with their constituents carefully.

Well in the 2008 presidential primaries there were no incumbents, and people overwhelmingly rejected anyone in either party who came anywhere close to saying we shouldn't police the world.

kahless
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
The 8% of that 12% probably work for the military industrial complex or are neocon journalists with the remaining 4% being the Neocon followers.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Well in the 2008 presidential primaries there were no incumbents, and people overwhelmingly rejected anyone in either party who came anywhere close to saying we shouldn't police the world.

I guess some people care more about other issues, besides foreign policy.

Lisle16
09-28-2009, 01:47 PM

In Presidential primaries, electability and charisma are everything.

Most Americans don't think someone like Ron Paul can be elected.

erowe1
09-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Yeah, but if this poll is accurate, then that means that there's a huge vacuum in the political spectrum on a hugely important issue. Since politicians chase votes, this vacuum should be filled, not just by someone on the margins that people think is unelectable, but by lots of politicians in both parties who recognize the opportunity to fill that niche.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-28-2009, 01:55 PM
"No I don't believe in being world-cops, but we should win Iraq and Afghanistan" --- 80% of Republican Voters (in my non-scientific, cynical mind)

"I dont believe we should torture. But waterboarding isnt torture. Neither is electrocution of the nipples and genitals. Neither is thumb screws. Neither is boiling people alive."

RM918
09-28-2009, 02:03 PM
As President Obama draws America back from the "nation-building" era of his predecessor...

Really? When's he plan on doing that?

Todd
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

I had a conversation with a friend Friday. He said that Ron didn't look capable of leading and that he seemed whiney. He said "I don't want a whiney President".

I guess it's the packaging. :(

torchbearer
09-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I had a conversation with a friend Friday. He said that Ron didn't look capable of leading and that he seemed whiney. He said "I don't want a whiney President".

I guess it's the packaging. :(

I guess he had nothing of substance to say.
He'd rather have Stalin because he wouldn't whine.

Todd
09-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I guess he had nothing of substance to say.
He'd rather have Stalin because he wouldn't whine.

My thoughts exactly.
The conversation was civil, but really went nowhere after that. Also made "conspiracy" comments regarding Paul.

I don't see him enough to really try to convince him otherwise.

Bruno
09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

nail on head there

Cowlesy
09-28-2009, 03:07 PM
"I dont believe we should torture. But waterboarding isnt torture. Neither is electrocution of the nipples and genitals. Neither is thumb screws. Neither is boiling people alive."

I disagree with these things unless they're being done to someone who someone else told me doesn't like me for driving an SUV and having a nice house. Then it's okay.

Freedom 4 all
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Apparantly this poll shows 12% of people are morons.

BlackTerrel
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM

A couple things - foreign policy is not issue #1 with most voters. Beyond that - A lot of people would consider Iraq/Afghanistan "fighting terrorism" rather than "being the world policeman". I disagree with that view - but if you worded the poll "do you support Obama's efforts in Afganistan" I would guess you would get considerably more than 12%

torchbearer
09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
A couple things - foreign policy is not issue #1 with most voters. Beyond that - A lot of people would consider Iraq/Afghanistan "fighting terrorism" rather than "being the world policeman". I disagree with that view - but if you worded the poll "do you support Obama's efforts in Afganistan" I would guess you would get considerably more than 12%

true.