PDA

View Full Version : London Telegraph: Neo cons handpicked Sarah Palin

max
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
The female George Bush. Hopefully, this article from 2008 will disabuse some of you of the silly idea that Caribou Barbie is a conservative/libertarian who is sympathetic to us...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/sarahpalin/2827217/Neoconservatives-plan-Project-Sarah-Palin-to-shape-future-American-foreign-policy.html

Neoconservatives plan Project Sarah Palin to shape future American foreign policy

Neoconservatives whose influence had been waning in Washington have hitched their colours to rising star Sarah Palin in a bid to shape US foreign policy for another decade.

By Tim Shipman in Wasilla, Alaska
Published: 8:52AM BST 13 Sep 2008

Comments by the governor of Alaska in her first television interview, in which she said Nato may have to go to war with Russia and took a tough line on Iran's nuclear programme, were the result of two weeks of briefings by neoconservatives.

Sources in the McCain camp, the Republican Party and Washington think tanks say Mrs Palin was identified as a potential future leader of the neoconservative cause in June 2007. That was when the annual summer cruise organised by the right-of-centre Weekly Standard magazine (Kristol's rag) docked in Juneau, the Alaskan state capital, and the pundits on board took tea with Governor Palin.

Her case as John McCain's running mate was later advanced vociferously by William Kristol, the magazine's editor, who is widely seen as one of the founding fathers of American neoconservative thought - including the robust approach to foreign policy which spurred American intervention in Iraq.

In 1988, Mr Kristol became a leading adviser of another inexperienced Republican vice presidential pick, Dan Quayle, tutoring him in foreign affairs. Last week he praised Mrs Palin as "a spectre of a young, attractive, unapologetic conservatism" that "is haunting the liberal elites".

Now many believe that the "neocons", whose standard bearer in government, Vice President Dick Cheney, lost out in Washington power struggles to the more moderate defence secretary Robert Gates and secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, last year are seeking to mould Mrs Palin to renew their influence.

A former Republican White House official, who now works at the American Enterprise Institute, a bastion of Washington neoconservatism, admitted: "She's bright and she's a blank page. She's going places and it's worth going there with her."

Asked if he sees her as a "project", the former official said: "Your word, not mine, but I wouldn't disagree with the sentiment."

Pat Buchanan, the former Republican presidential candidate and a foreign policy isolationist, who opposes the war in Iraq, the project most closely associated with the neocons, said: "Palin has become, overnight, the most priceless political asset the movement has.

"Look for the neocons to move with all deliberate speed to take her into their camp by pressing upon her advisers and staff, and steering her into the AEI-Weekly Standard-War Party orbit." The AEI, or American Enterprise Institute, is a free-market think-tank with many neo-cons among its members.

In the two weeks since she was named as Mr McCain's running mate that is just what has happened. While Mr McCain was publicly distancing himself from the policies and personalities of the Bush administration, Mrs Palin was sequestered with a series of former aides to George W. Bush.

Mr McCain's chief foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, an influential neoconservative, wasted no time in briefing Mrs Palin. He quickly made Steve Biegun, a former number three on the National Security Council, her chief foreign policy adviser.

Steven Clemons, of the New American Foundation think tank in Washington, a chronicler of the ebb and flow of neocon power in the White House, bemoaned the appointment, saying Mr Biegun "will turn her into an advocate of Cheneyism and Cheney's view of national-security issues."
Eyebrows were also raised when, on the Tuesday after her selection, Mrs Palin was ushered into the company of AIPAC, the pro-Israeli lobby group in Washington.

In her first television interview, she was on message, agreeing with Mr McCain that Israel has the right to take military action against Iran if necessary. "I don't think that we should second-guess the measures that Israel has to take to defend themselves and for their security," she said.

Jacob Heilbrunn, author of They Knew They Were Right: The Rise of the Neocons, said the interview was "further evidence that she has soaked up the neocon view of the world." He was particularly alarmed by her suggestion that war with Russia is "perhaps" a possibility.

"The neocons surrounded Dan Quayle, with William Kristol becoming his main tutor. Now both McCain and Palin are being closely advised by neocons. Far from being chastened by the Iraq debacle, the neocons are now poised for their moment of greatest influence." Mr Buchanan has predicted Mrs Palin will become a major player for years to come.

"In choosing Palin, McCain may also have changed the course of history," he said. "Should this ticket win, Palin will eclipse every other Republican as heir apparent to the presidency and will have her own power base, wholly independent of President McCain."

Original_Intent
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Yep. And then the right gets to call the left sexists whenever they disagree with anything she tries to do.

Brian4Liberty
09-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Shocking! ;)

IPSecure
09-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Amazing, amazing...

yokna7
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Yep. And then the right gets to call the left sexists whenever they disagree with anything she tries to do.

Ah, a taste of their own medicine;)

I am surprised she was "handpicked", I thought she just fell out of the sky - perhaps a angel sent from the heavens, from the Gods themselves!:rolleyes:

Jk, but I do miss her getting all "mavricky" on the liberals!:rolleyes:

Original_Intent
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Ah, a taste of their own medicine;)

I am surprised she was "handpicked", I thought she just fell out of the sky - perhaps a angel sent from the heavens, from the Gods themselves!:rolleyes:

Jk, but I do miss her getting all "mavricky" on the liberals!:rolleyes:

Lol, the only problem is the "taste of their own medicine" still falls within the FALSE right left paradigm. It should be more looked at as

Under Obama anyone that argues with the agenda is labelled a racist.
Under Palin the same agenda is moved forward and anyone who disagree is labelled a sexist. (With Obama it is "conservatives" that are attacked, with Palin it would be the left (although it would be kind of weird to see the left attacked for any kind of "ism" since that is their control mechanism)

I guess my point was it's all the same puppeteers, and they are just using sock puppets that have handy characteristics that they can then attack ANY opposition with. My point was NOT finally the left can get a taste of their own medicine, although I am sure that is how the MSM/meme manipulators will present it.

yokna7
09-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Lol, the only problem is the "taste of their own medicine" still falls within the FALSE right left paradigm. It should be more looked at as

Under Obama anyone that argues with the agenda is labelled a racist.
Under Palin the same agenda is moved forward and anyone who disagree is labelled a sexist. (With Obama it is "conservatives" that are attacked, with Palin it would be the left (although it would be kind of weird to see the left attacked for any kind of "ism" since that is their control mechanism)

I guess my point was it's all the same puppeteers, and they are just using sock puppets that have handy characteristics that they can then attack ANY opposition with. My point was NOT finally the left can get a taste of their own medicine, although I am sure that is how the MSM/meme manipulators will present it.

Yea, I agree. I was just making a an example, I wouldn't say it's justified.

The nature of the two party system of politics is simple. They latch onto anything they can and use it against their opponent. At the end of the battle, whoever has made the public feel more guilty or instills more fear in the public wins! They prefer to use the first one and use the latter as last resort.

The left utilizes special interest groups like feminist orgs, minority orgs, enviornmental orgs and the right typically relies on populist sentiment.

zach
09-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I want to hear her accent again. :(

Mini-Me
09-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Argh, this is the worst! I hate all of the ridiculous and liberally applied broad brush labeling that goes on now. Under Bush, anyone who disagreed with him and the neocons too much was a "truther," "nutjob/crank/wingnut," or "America hater." Under Obama, anyone who mistrusts or disagrees with him and the liberals too much is a "birther," "teabagger," "Tenther," or "racist," and they're now reusing all the other labels too except for "America hater." Whether or not Palin ever gets power she doesn't deserve, it's only a matter of time before we're all sexists, too. It's like a disturbing proportion of people just go batshit fucking insane whenever "their team" is in power. It upsets me far more now though than it did under Bush, because the liberals SHOULD KNOW BETTER by now! ARGGGGGGGGGGGH.