PDA

View Full Version : NFL Improves Diversity Hiring Practices

bobbyw24
09-28-2009, 05:35 AM
[Does this mean we will see more white football players???]

The league received an overall B grade in the report released Thursday by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida. It earned an A- for racial hiring practices and a C on gender hiring practices. Those are the highest grades the NFL has received from the institute over the years.

The study analyzed data provided by the league on the racial breakdown of players and coaches and the racial and gender breakdown of team and NFL management and other officials.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/25/sportsline/main5338610.shtml

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Ah yes, the pigment of your skin and the type of genitalia you are born with determine your job, not your qualifications! The world we live in, is so fucked.

Who the fuck cares, what gender or skin color gets hired.....as an Employer you should be able to hire anyone you fucking want. It's your business. Can we get rid of AA PLEEEEASE. :mad:

bobbyw24
09-28-2009, 05:42 AM
for the NFL, NBA or NHL?

Oh, they let merit decide who plays and who doesn't????

BlackTerrel
09-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Who the fuck cares, what gender or skin color gets hired.....as an Employer you should be able to hire anyone you fucking want. It's your business. Can we get rid of AA PLEEEEASE. :mad:

It shouldn't matter but for a long time sports in this country had exclusionary practices that made it difficult or impossible for blacks to play and later to coach. I have met quite a few players who talked of racism in the coach ranks and how black players were not given opportunities and white players were. This has rapidly changed and is not much of an issue anymore. But it is due to the work of certain organizations that we are now in the place that we are.

This clearly has been good business for the NFL that is now more popular and profitable than it has ever been.

thasre
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I have to say that I don't really care too much if private industry types want to make decisions based on race and/or gender if they're not being forced to by the government. It's when there are LEGALLY RECOGNIZED "differences" between people of divergent backgrounds that I get upset / concerned.

It sounds like this Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport is a private watchdog group that's just respectfully vigilant about equality though, which is, I think, a noble goal.

We libertarians always say the market and private organizations can do anything the govt claims it can do, and do it better... it might just be that this is a good way to combat racial inequalities.

Epic
09-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Shouldn't they get an "F" for not having enough white, hispanic, and asian players?

James Madison
09-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Shouldn't they get an "F" for not having enough white, hispanic, and asian players?

Shouldn't the NBA get an "F" in diversity as well for not having any short basketball players?:D

BlackTerrel
09-28-2009, 11:16 PM

The point is not and never was to get exactly the percentage of each race that there is in the population. As far as I know there is no one of any race saying that the NFL discriminates against players because of race.

In the past, there was a view among many black players (including a couple people that I know) that the NFL was systematically ignoring blacks when it came to front office positions. It is the opinion of most that I talk to that they have now rectified that issue.

And as I said that has worked out well for the NFL. Their attendance, popularity, and revenue are all at record highs.

bobbyw24
10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=213815

brandon
10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Shouldn't the NBA get an "F" in diversity as well for not having any short basketball players?:D

And the don't hire blind people either.