PDA

View Full Version : Primary Debates

Dreamofunity
09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Are there primary debates where Rand can go against Grayson head on?

I realize if there are debates they'll be closer to the primary and not anytime soon, but I'm just curious if/when/and how many.

ljwestmcsd
09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Are there primary debates where Rand can go against Grayson head on?

I realize if there are debates they'll be closer to the primary and not anytime soon, but I'm just curious if/when/and how many.

At the very minimum, there will be the Kentucky Educational Television (KET--our version of PBS) debate, about two weeks or so before the primary. My guess is that Mr. Gray's son will try to avoid debating Rand since it will give Rand more credibility as a candidate. After the filing deadline is over in late January, and we know how many candidates there really will be, then we might get a better idea of the debates scenario.

If I were Rand, I would challenge the opponents to one debate in each congressional district -- six in all.

Dreamofunity
09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
If I were Rand, I would challenge the opponents to one debate in each congressional district -- six in all.

I'd love to see that.

Even if Grayson doesn't want to debate Rand, does he have (not necessarily have to, but customary for him to go) to go to the KET one?

spotics
09-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd love to see that.

Even if Grayson doesn't want to debate Rand, does he have (not necessarily have to, but customary for him to go) to go to the KET one?

He doesn't have to, but I would guess he would.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-26-2009, 02:54 PM
The general rule is you accept debates with viable opponents and refuse with candidates who stand no chance.

So one would think Grayson would debate Rand Paul, but not Bill Johnson.

HarryBrowneLives
09-26-2009, 03:42 PM
At the very minimum, there will be the Kentucky Educational Television (KET--our version of PBS) debate, about two weeks or so before the primary. My guess is that Mr. Gray's son will try to avoid debating Rand since it will give Rand more credibility as a candidate. After the filing deadline is over in late January, and we know how many candidates there really will be, then we might get a better idea of the debates scenario.

By then, we MIGHT debate Grayson and that might give HIM more viability as a candidate.:D I've become more convinced every day that we're gonna win this thing.

ljwestmcsd
09-26-2009, 07:52 PM
The general rule is you accept debates with viable opponents and refuse with candidates who stand no chance.

So one would think Grayson would debate Rand Paul, but not Bill Johnson.

I believe if the debate is sponsored by a non-profit organization, such as the League of Women Voters or the American Family Association, it is required that you invite everyone.
The Fancy Farm picnic people specifically do not call what they have a "debate," as that would mean that they would have to include independent candidates.

thisisengage
09-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Ive thought for a while this would be a great thing for our campaign, as Rand would probably eat Gayson alive, but a couple points. Just in one of the posts above its written that Gayson would only debate candidates who stand a chance, excluding Bill Johnson. But in essence, who really is the deciding factor on who 'has a chance'. From the Gayson camp's view, Rand doesnt stand a chance.

Its very true that is Gayson debates Rand it shows Rand as a viable candidate which in obvious turn hurts Gayson. If it does happen, it will be so late in the game it probably wont have much of an effect on voters or the numbers involved. A shame, really—

Brett
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I would love for Rand to simply host a public speaking event and invite Greyson to show up. If he doesn't, Rand makes a point of it in his speech, if he does, Rand destroys him in debate.

Matt Collins
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Just in one of the posts above its written that Gayson would only debate candidates who stand a chance, excluding Bill Johnson. But in essence, who really is the deciding factor on who 'has a chance'. From the Gayson camp's view, Rand doesnt stand a chance.They will look at fund raising and polling to determine the cutoff threshold of who gets into the debates. Rand has a chance to win when viewed with both factors, and by now, might even be the front runner on both!! :D

TruthisTreason
09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
They will look at fund raising and polling to determine the cutoff threshold of who gets into the debates. Rand has a chance to win when viewed with both factors, and by now, might even be the front runner on both!! :D

The skinny on debates at this point is:

A couple of places are asking the candidates, but want to wait until the filing deadline to register to be a US Senate candidate before having any. From my understanding, even Jill will be invited.

Austin
09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
The skinny on debates at this point is:

A couple of places are asking the candidates, but want to wait until the filing deadline to register to be a US Senate candidate before having any. From my understanding, even Jill will be invited.
Bohnson?

TruthisTreason
09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Bohnson?

Assuming she hasn't spent herself into a bigger hole this quarter.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Will Brian Douglas Oerther (http://www.opensecrets.org/races/election.php?state=KY) be allowed in too?

If you're going to let one no-hoper running a total vanity campaign (Bill Johnson) in, you might as well let them all.