PDA

View Full Version : C4L site under hacker attack.

dr. hfn
09-25-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=25640

Right when the Audit the Fed hearings start

brandon
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
lmao it's always funny to hear people who don't understand computers talking about h4ck3rz.

Sounds like some kid ran a DoS attack for a few hours....welcome to the internet.

He even called the kid a "Cyber terrorist".... FACEPALM

angelatc
09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
lmao it's always funny to hear people who don't understand computers talking about h4ck3rz.

Sounds like some kid rand a DoS attack for a few hours....welcome to the internet.

He even called the kid a "Cyber terrorist".... FACEPALM

I've got your facepalm right here. He's the CFL's IT director.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/profile.php?member=Adam_de_Angeli

brandon
09-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I've got your facepalm right here. He's the CFL's IT director.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/profile.php?member=Adam_de_Angeli

Sounds like he should be looking for a new job!

angelatc
09-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Sounds like he should be looking for a new job!

He's a holdover from the campaign. That should speak volumes.

brandon
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM
He's a holdover from the campaign. That should speak volumes.

Yea I just read his review of For Liberty a couple days ago. He only gave it 3 stars because he feels the movie didn't give enough credit to the official campaign staff. :rolleyes:

AdamT
09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Yea I just read his review of For Liberty a couple days ago. He only gave it 3 stars because he feels the movie didn't give enough credit to the official campaign staff. :rolleyes:

I was a little surprised when I read that review. He made a bunch of assumptions that simply weren't true, but never asked us or even talked to us at the conference.

angelatc
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM

I ranted on that in another thread. Not the bad review, but I mean, how discouraging is it to see the "us vs them" mentality is still alive and well in the ranks of the paid staffers?

Original_Intent
09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
The paid staff thinks THEY are the R3V0Lution. :rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
The paid staff thinks THEY are the R3V0Lution. :rolleyes:
Yes. And our only purpose is to do what they tell us to do. Then if we're real good we'll get a 20% discount at the store.

dr. hfn
09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Snyder died for the campaign, doesn't that mean anything to you people? The campaign staff probably worked their assses off alot harder than any of us did. And his review was excellent. The movie doesnt point out anything we did wrong or include the official campaign at all. It will not stop us from making the same mistakes again. The movie is a complete love fest.

torchbearer
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Snyder died for the campaign, doesn't that mean anything to you people? The campaign staff probably worked their assses off alot harder than any of us did. And his review was excellent. The movie doesnt point out anything we did wrong or include the official campaign at all. It will not stop us from making the same mistakes again. The movie is a complete love fest.

was this suppose to be game film for our football team or a recuiting tool for future activist?
Or was it just the memories of the filmmakers put to film?

ronpaulhawaii
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

tkubic46 - please keep in mind that the producers honestly tried to include HQ in the movie (I was in the car in DC), and due to unresponsiveness from the staff had to make the movie with what they had. Also, the movie was not intended as an objective look at the campaigns successes and failures, but rather an exposure of the truth behind the medias lies and distortions about the r3VOLution; to show to those who are unaware of our efforts what we are about. If HQ had responded/followed up we would have asked them about the grassroots, just like we did with RP. Further, for many, the snowball incident was decried as a mistake...

Food for Thought...

IPSecure
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Further, for many, the snowball incident was decried as a mistake...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m275/jogi21/random/snow-ball-laucher-gun.jpg

Damn...

dr. hfn
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
tkubic46 - please keep in mind that the producers honestly tried to include HQ in the movie (I was in the car in DC), and due to unresponsiveness from the staff had to make the movie with what they had. Also, the movie was not intended as an objective look at the campaigns successes and failures, but rather an exposure of the truth behind the medias lies and distortions about the r3VOLution; to show to those who are unaware of our efforts what we are about. If HQ had responded/followed up we would have asked them about the grassroots, just like we did with RP. Further, for many, the snowball incident was decried as a mistake...

Food for Thought...

o! well see i didnt know that.

ronpaulhawaii
09-25-2009, 03:43 PM
o! well see i didnt know that.

I did not want to become embroiled in the debate. I sent Adam D a PM on CfL about his review and asking that he address the facts I have pointed out here. As usual, no response...The reason I posted here is because I like you, and RPFs deserves to know the truth, now that the issue has arrived here.

newbitech
09-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh I got my For Liberty CD today! Yayyy!!!!

to whoever posted this comment

Not sure how you guys store passwords, but as a web designer, the safest method I've come across is by hashing (MD5) the password, and storing it in it's hashed form. Only drawback to this method, is not only will the hackers not be able to read it, but neither will you! So you'd have to generate a password if they forgot it.
MD5 encryption protects against dictionary and brute force attacks against the database record that stores the password. If the hacker can read the database table a hacked password is the least of your problems.

Here is a MD5 tool available online that decrypts MD5 into the password string.

[/URL][URL]http://md5.gromweb.com/ (http://md5.gromweb.com/)

So you see, if I can read that database table that holds the MD5 encrypted string, then I can easily convert that to the real password.

But if I try to use a brute force injection attack on the sql that validates your password, I have to decrpt the checksum first which takes infinitely more time.

So here is my password MD5 checksum that would be stored in the database.

6b4b3e9d12cec52bddb28bc0f9f697c2
GotchaSucker
If you can hack my database then you can get that checksum and easily know my password.

But if you can't hack my database then you'll have to run some serious sql injection to bruteforce that checksum, and you obviously can't use a dictionary attack either.

BTW, MD5 with a password "salt" would prevent the hacker who has access to the database from using the online tool to decrypt the cipher, but like I said, if they can read your database MD5, then you have worse problems then that.

There are plenty of tools out there to thwart a low frequency DDOS which is what this appears to have been.

I would suggest to C4L to do some application hardening, but really the security issue they may have had is an artifact of poor planning of the site in the start up phase.

I remember signing up for C4L and not even having to provide email validation. I also remember some other user based issues in the beginning as well, but w/e.

I am sure that the one off principle of IT management that dominates most risk strategies will be implemented here. They will patch the server and wait until the next threat appears and deal with it then.

Such is the nature of living on the bleeding edge of tech.

Imperial
10-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Obviously this was an inside job!

Socratic Method
10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Hell no. In my opinion, the snowball incident was fine.

And should be remembered for what it was. The people vs the political elite.

A harmless snap shot of the passion felt by all of us.

Don't let the political correctness get you down folks.

Remember the origins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Liberty

Cheers,
SM.