PDA

View Full Version : Police embroiled in violent battles with G20 protesters

disorderlyvision
09-24-2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6848176.ece

Anti-G20 protesters rampaged through the city centre of Pittsburgh tonight, smashing up shops and throwing rocks at police, as officers used tear gas and baton-charges in an attempt to bring them under control.

In riots which continued through evening rush hour, about 300 protesters were reported to have remained from an initial crowd of 2,000 in Bloomfield, Pittsburgh’s Little Italy.

Frustrated in their attempts to reach the venue where world leaders are meeting the crowd, many of whom wore face-masks and armed themselves with rocks, broke windows at fast-food restaurants, a BMW dealership and a bank in the area, about a mile from the fenced-off convention centre.

Police in body armour and armed with plastic shields threw pepper gas canisters to disperse the protesters, charging in to make some arrests.

Some reports also suggested that rubber bullets had been used, but police tonight confirmed that they had fired pellet-filled “beanbags” to combat the rioters.

“In response to having sticks, bricks and rocks thrown at them in the Shady Side neighborhood of Pittsburgh, police responded with bean bag rounds and dispersed the crowd,” Bill Crowley, an FBI agent, told the AFP news agency.

So-called bean bags - or flexible baton rounds - are fired from an officer’s riot shotgun. Pittsburgh police spokeswoman Diane Richard said they were “softer” than rubber bullets. “The police had sticks, rocks and other instruments thrown toward them so in defence of that, that was their way of dispersing the crowd. They had trash cans thrown at them, all kinds of different things,” she said.

Anti-capitalist protests have marked major gatherings of world leaders on the economy for years, sometimes turning violent and forcing summit organisers to use fortress-like security.

Earlier, police dispersed the 2,000 people who had gathered during lunchtime for a march. “You must leave the immediate vicinity regardless of your purpose,” officers said, and warned that gas and other “non-lethal force” would be used.

The main clashes took place in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Protesters threw bottles and police responded by sending up to 10 canisters of tear gas into the crowd. The sharp smell of the gas irritated the eyes and throats of protesters, some of them vomiting as they ran.

“We have seen police use rubber bullets, batons and gas,” said Noah Williams, a spokesman for the anti-capitalist Pittsburgh G20 Resistance Project.

Leaders of developed and developing economies are meeting in Pittsburgh for a gathering to discuss how to improve financial reforms to avoid another global economic crisis.

Pericles
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
TEA party protest = no violence

anti - capitalism protest = violence

Now who is it that needs to be watched for violent tendencies again?

Standing Like A Rock
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM

good point....

BenIsForRon
09-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Come on man, you know most of the protesters are peaceful. And with the few violent ones, most of THOSE are police provocateurs.

The tea party protests don't really challenge the world order, the G20 ones do.

LibertyWorker
09-24-2009, 10:01 PM

TEA party protesters = Ask permission from there masters if they can protest them.

anti - capitalism protest = F#&k The masters

i am not anti-capitalist but i say F@$K the masters and the goons that protect them.

RonneJJones
09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Come on man, you know most of the protesters are peaceful. And with the few violent ones, most of THOSE are police provocateurs.

The tea party protests don't really challenge the world order, the G20 ones do.
Yup, the G20 protests are brought to you courtesy of Soros.

LibertyWorker
09-24-2009, 10:11 PM
you should be against the G20. they are the ones scheming behind our backs right now trying to find a way to hold on to power and money though the Federal Reserve system.

LibertyWorker
09-24-2009, 10:13 PM
anyone think its odd that the hearings on HR1207 are going on at the same time the G20 is having there little meeting ?

surf
09-24-2009, 10:20 PM
it doesn't matter what you're for or against relative to G20 meetings (or WTO - i remember that vividly) - the sad thing is that the police forces from around the area team up to control the citizens, many of whom are probably their neighbors. it was incredible to see the army mentality in Seattle and some of the pictures of cops staring down citizens with guns (even if they were rubber bullets or pepper spray guns) were downright scary. i'm not talking about the Turtles or the "anarchists" or the folks busting shit, i'm talking about people trying to get out of Seattle and go home following a day of work.

my opinion then as it is always is that if the cops would simply protect the property - i.e. stores, cars, houses, etc. - that the majority of this conflict and nearly all the destruction would dissipate.

dannno
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
It's not an anti-capitalist protest, it's an anti-world bank protest.

Even leftists protest the world bank.

The violent ones are paid provocateurs, or are being lead by a paid agent provocateur.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I'd say framing this as anti-capitalist versus capitalists is pretty much wrong, and meant to confuse.

In April, the G20 "pledged the first-ever global regulation of hedge funds and private-equity firms, big players in global finance that have enjoying operating under the regulatory radar. They agreed to require banks to set aside more capital in good times to help them function in bad times. They vowed to crack down on tax haven nations that allow the wealthy to escape taxation. And they pledged $1.1 trillion to the International Monetary Fund and related institutions to help revive the global economy."

That doesn't sound much like capitalism to me. Global regulation? Vowing to "crack down" on "tax haven nations?"

These aren't business people making private plans for consensual business. They're political people.