PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Single-Day Unified Money Bomb

RyanRSheets
09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Currently our strategy seems to be to just throw money bomb events out there constantly for our candidates. We find ourselves fighting over who should be allowed to have a money bomb and when. Rather than having a unified effort to take this country back, we have a factionized warzone where each man has his favorite and puts that candidate before any of the others. I'm not saying this is the wrong mentality to have on a personal level, but we cannot afford to have factions! That is why I am pushing for a unified, single day money bomb event that focuses on getting all of our wonderful candidates the funding they need to be competitive in their primaries.

Most people seem to want to dismiss the idea of a multi-candidate money bomb without any conversation on the subject. I was one of those people, actually up until today. The immediate assumption is that a multi-candidate money bomb would be an attempt to split donations between multiple candidates. Obviously this would be incredibly confusing, cumbersome and a waste of time.

What I'm thinking, though, is that we could all decide on a date. I suggest December 16th. On that date, we will all donate to our favorites. The catch is that we will promote the event as a single body and we will use a single website as its vehicle. I will go into more detail about what I want to see on the website below, but the main thing I think would be good would be a single, unified ticker displaying total donations for the day among all involved candidates. This would give it the feel of a big money bomb like we used to have with Ron Paul and it would generate much more excitement.

The ultimate goal of all of these campaigns is to take the country back, right? I feel that this approach is more in line with the premise of the money bomb. It used to be that we had money bombs so we could all get together and donate for the cause of Liberty on the same day. Does it not make sense that we should do the same today?

Furthermore, how much easier would it be to promote a national, full-scale event for candidates all over the country than a single candidate? We would truly be taking a stand for a cause, not a man. This would be a pretty unique event that would generate natural buzz. It has the potential to go viral for that reason.

This would demonstrate to those who are on the edge that we mean to take this country back, and it would probably bring a lot of new people on board. We could use the website as a platform to do mass email campaigns on media personalities and I'm sure we could get people like Glenn Beck to talk about it. This idea would spread like wildfire at tea parties.

So, now that I've given some of my reasoning, here is what I envision for the web site.

1) Unified ticker - This is the single most important part. We want to demonstrate to the country and to ourselves that we can raise a ton of money for our cause. We did it for Ron in 2007 and I'm positive we can do it again; the movement has grown.
2) A goal - Add up what we think each candidate will need to make it past their primary and total it together. That's the long term goal. Obviously we want to be careful how high we set the goal per event, but if we promote it well we can bring in millions.
3) A sidebar showing each candidate's progress toward their goal, updated in realtime.
4) The website should have the ability to direct people toward's candidates. I want this to be as much about having a free choice as possible, but I want to emphasize that it's about getting all of these candidates what they need to compete. This is about taking the country back, not a single office. Obviously money is going to gravitate toward the Senate campaigns, but this feature would help us fund the Representative campaigns.
5) The pledge system, in my opinion, should only request an email address. We don't need to know how much money people are willing to give until the day of the event. The focus should be solely on ensuring that as many people as possible hear about the event.
6) Bios and stats for every candidate are a must. These could be written by the candidates themselves.
7) The system we will use for deciding who makes the list should be debated heavily. I want there to be a consensus that the list is made up of good, honest candidates who will absolutely take their oath seriously. We should probably also have a priority system.

I'll probably add more later as I think of it, but what does everyone think? I want this to be truly grassroots and I want it to be based on the will of the people. I don't want to push for any candidates that have no chance of winning, nor do I want to push for any candidates that aren't really supported by you guys. I want this to be about unifying people and empowering campaigns that might otherwise be forgotten.

Kotin
09-24-2009, 06:07 PM
nope.. I am glad your brainstorming but this will work just like any multi-candidate money bomb and will difuse and dilute the strength of the moneybomb..

the only way it has ever worked is 1 candidate, 1 day.

RyanRSheets
09-24-2009, 06:20 PM
nope.. I am glad your brainstorming but this will work just like any multi-candidate money bomb and will difuse and dilute the strength of the moneybomb..

the only way it has ever worked is 1 candidate, 1 day.

Donations to any other candidate have the same effect. If I drop $100 on Rand Paul's campaign, that $100 can't go toward Peter Schiff's campaign. Following your logic, since this is the case, the only logical solution would be to ignore all other candidates, right? If we should only be trying to win one race, what's the point of even trying?

Is there a precedent for a multi-candidate money bomb? And has it been tried in a way that wasn't about trying to get people to split their donations up? This could be promoted as a money bomb for a single candidate or as a money bomb for the 2010 campaigns. Either way, both sides work toward eachother.

What's wrong with taking all of the people who have their favorites and having them donate on the same day rather than donating all throughout the month? Not only is it confusing as hell to stagger money bombs, it causes resent for other candidates.

nayjevin
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
It definitely has allure, but much of that is based on the 'central planning' fallacy.

I don't believe it dilutes anything, I believe it would bring more into the fold. But, as with everything else, I would like to see MORE competition in moneybombs.

There is room for a 'central moneybomb location' to compete in the 'free market' -- and to encourage folks to sign up so that a tangible total can be shown and referenced in media. Definitely value to that.

I would hate to see, however, for that solution to claim that it is the voice of a collective 'movement'.

I don't think candidate bio's are a must have.... you could link straight to the candidates' pages, so as not to introduce any intermediary bias.

No 'system' to determine included candidates can satisfy all people, and so the best route is an individual or small group of people who vet the candidates, share how they were vetted (transparency) and let individuals decide whether to throw candidate support under that branding solution (which has benefits).

It's a good idea that should be tackled on an individual basis, not on the basis of representing 'the movement'.

RyanRSheets
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't think candidate bio's are a 'must have'.... you could link straight to the candidates' pages, so as not to introduce any intermediary bias.

Good point, and good insight on everything. I would definitely provide links directly to the candidate's website, but I was thinking bios written by the candidates to give them an opportunity to sell themselves.

Vetting would be immensely important. I won't pretend to know much about all the various candidates, and I would certainly encourage people to scrutinize the list and make sure that everyone on it is firm in their beliefs in limited government and the Constitution.

Ultimately I would hope to have someone else design the website. I could do it myself, but it has been a few years since I've done any serious web design and I think for something on the scale I am hoping for it would have to be pretty good.

Also, good point on who it would represent. I don't want to pretend to represent the Liberty movement, but I would like to provide a basic, simple platform that every candidate has to agree to.

As far as central planning goes, the farthest I want to go with that is providing a website that explains what we're doing and tell people to go out and talk about that website. I want the candidates, the content of the website and most everything else to be really decided on by the people.

RyanRSheets
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Bump for a few edits and because the vote is pretty close.

Still about 50/50.

Anyone good with web design want to work on something like this? If not I'll probably work on a shell for an example and put it up on my server.

RyanRSheets
09-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Bumping because the other thread really needs to be deleted or merged with this one. I need to know if this is half way viable; the vote has been pretty much 50/50 all the way with a slight advantage to 'no'.