PDA

View Full Version : A different look at the multi-candidate money bomb idea

RyanRSheets
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Just trying to see what people think.

I think part of the problem with our 2010 efforts is that it is all perceived as something so small. A lot of people are running and a lot of people are out there, and I think we can gain a lot by working together. We can keep our favorites, but if we agree on a date and make a massive effort to promote that single date we can do a lot more. All I'm saying is we should unify our efforts in one place, work together for a massive promotion and agree to do something all on the same day, then have a unified ticker for the excitement factor.

The multi candidate money bomb idea has potential I think, but only with a severe spin on it. We don't want to try and tell people to donate to all of these guys on one day. It would be way too confusing and everyone would ignore it. What we could do, though, is have a website that directs people toward candidates in some smart way and gives a visual display how much money has been donated to all candidates in total that day.

What I would do is make a website that unifies all the different campaigns and I would use that website as a vehicle for a major fundraising date. That date would have to be a little while off since it would have to be very well promoted. A realtime ticker would show the total raised for all candidates that day giving it the look and feel of an enormous moneybomb. The sheer size of this would be enough to bring in more people, I think.

On the website we would have information, links, bios and so on for all of our candidates and we would have goals for those candidates as well as the unified, total goal. I'm envisioning a sidebar with Rand and Peter at the top with all the aspiring representatives below and bars representing their progress toward their own goal. Maybe I'll try to draw up what I'm thinking tonight.

I think non profit organizations could actually promote something like this without breaking FEC rules, but I guess it would be very risky regardless.

Anyhow, I have more ideas on it, but I wanted to put these ones out there and see what people thought.