PDA

View Full Version : Are You Better Off Now Than You Were Two Years Ago?

KCIndy
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Okay...

Two years ago at this time, those of us who were already involved in the Ron Paul campaign were getting excited about the upcoming "Fifth of November" money bomb. That donation drive, together with the subsequent "Tea Party" money bomb went on to make political history, generating over ten million dollars between the two of them.

The recent fund raising money bomb drives for Rand Paul and Peter Schiff were, at least in the eyes of some, a disappointment. (I'm not sure if I would use that word, considering we're talking state level primaries during a midterm election.)

At any rate, it got me thinking:

During the last two years, our country has suffered horrendous job losses, and at present the government reported unemployment level is nearly ten percent. That's not counting those who are underemployed, nor those who have simply given up. I'm beginning to wonder if the poor economy is having a major effect on the fund raising efforts of our Liberty candidates.

So my question, for anyone who cares to answer, is simple: Financially speaking, are things better, worse, or the same as two years ago?

tmosley
09-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm better off only because I have gotten a number of promotions and raises through my hard work, almost doubling my salary. If I were still in the same situation I was two years ago, with normal raises, I would be destitute.

As it is, I'm making it, paying the bills, putting some back, and preparing. Most of all, preparing.

Original_Intent
09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm worse off. Still doing the same job, this last year there were NO merit increases, not because the company didn't do well (it did) but bcause they could get away with it due to the lousy job market.

Seeing as how merit raises were only averaging 3% before that, I am significantly worse off than I was even 5 years ago. Other than I am more prepared than I was 5 years ago, but standard of living based on income alone - very, very tight.

KCIndy
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
:(

I should have added that my status is "still employed, but worried." I've voluntarily changed jobs over the last couple of years, and am still making about the same. Sadly, jobs are getting cut left, right and center, so I'm working with an attitude of "it could happen at any time..."

Frankly, as much as it really irks me, I've simply not been able to donate as much as I would have liked to the various candidates who have been supported by these boards. I can still swing a hundred bucks every month or so, but I'm hardly in a position to "max out" on any of the candidates here...

Hence the poll, I was wondering if anyone else was being similarly affected.

heavenlyboy34
09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Jobs and income are much scarcer, so I'm still unemployed, and prices are going up, which squeezes me on the other end at the same time

pcosmar
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I was unemployed 2 years ago. I still am with no prospects.
Things are still going downhill for the country. Still preparing for the final crash.

Yup same stuff.:(

Matthew Zak
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I chose no difference, because I'm making about 64 cents per hour more, while working a few hours less/week. However, inflation is always there, and with Obama in office screwing with the economy I suppose it's ignorant not to say worse off.

1000-points-of-fright
09-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Didn't get much of a raise this year but I've still got my job. The company is doing well but not as well as years past. Other than my mortgage, I have no debt. My spending habits haven't changed.

Only problem is my house and 401K are worth about half what they used to be. If I thought I could sell my house for a decent price, I would probably buy a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood.

Elwar
09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I got a $5k raise and $10k bonus to change jobs last year, I moved from Texas to Florida where I found a great deal on a gulf front property on a short sale. My wife gets everything on craigslist from people who need to sell their stuff to get some quick cash...

I work for defense contractors...had Ron Paul won, I would be happily out on my ass looking for a private sector job. I don't see my job going away any time soon.

Liberty Rebellion
09-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Didn't vote in the poll b/c I don't agree that this is a great economy.

I am doing much better than I ever have in my career in IT since it began back in 2001.

About 3 years ago I was fired from Reuters and went back to pizza delivery. The next IT job I landed I was given 90% more than I was making at Reuters. I was even given $15K more than I asked for just b/c I had my CCNA. Last March, I was promoted to IP Egineering and I saw a 20% raise which was quite a shocker and am also now get bi-annual bonuses of up to 10% of my salary.

In the time I have been with my current employer I have paid off a little over $35K in debt, accumulated PMs, & a decent amount of savings.

So, I'm doing okay, but I suffer no illusions on the state of the economy.

newbitech
09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
worse, I lost my career job when the tremors started hitting the mortgage industry back in fall of '07. I recovered pretty quick in a different field, but then lost that earlier this year when the big waves of layoffs started hitting.

I am into the second half of my savings now, but have made huge lifestyle adjustments to compensate. I am definitely worse off.

Pete
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I have been sort of semi-employed, taking care of elderly parents the past couple of years. I have two small businesses (accounting and woodworking) and am as busy as I care to be with them. Incoming new business is slow and competition has increased, but it doesn't matter at the moment. I am glad for the break.

My wife is kicking butt, having changed companies and then gotten promoted last year. She is getting a big pay raise and bonus this year and is the main breadwinner now. She has always been smart and a hard worker; this was a lucky break.

We are using the extra money to pay off debts we accumulated during harder times (for us, not the general economy).