PDA

View Full Version : Gay lawmakers push anti-bias workplace bill

bobbyw24
09-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Gay lawmakers push anti-bias workplace bill

Sam Hananel ASSOCIATED PRESS

Two openly gay members of Congress on Wednesday urged their colleagues to pass a sweeping job discrimination bill that would - for the first time - protect gays and transsexuals from workplace bias.

The testimony from Reps. Barney Frank, Massachusetts Democrat, and Tammy Baldwin, Wisconsin Democrat, comes as supporters of the measure think Congress is closer than ever to banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Mr. Frank told the House Education and Labor Committee that opponents of the bill often accuse the gay rights community of pushing a "radical agenda."

"Trying to get a job or join the military has not been the hallmark of radicalism," he said.

Miss Baldwin, whose home state of Wisconsin was the first to pass a law protecting gay employees from bias in 1982, said it was time "to bring our laws in line with the reality of American life."

The Employment Nondiscrimination Act would ban employers from making any decisions about hiring, firing, promotions or pay based on a worker's sexual orientation or gender identity. It would exempt the military, religious groups and businesses with fewer than 15 employees.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/24/gay-lawmakers-push-anti-bias-workplace-bill/?feat=home_cube_position4

NYgs23
09-24-2009, 05:47 AM
Freedom of association is as dead as a doornail.

SelfTaught
09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Freedom of association is as dead as a doornail.

Exactly. Next, it'll be the transgendered. Just wait until that girl that's been flirting with you at the water cooler turns out to be a guy.

Then they enact an anti-bias dating/marriage law prohibiting you from discriminating on the basis of gender. Oh no!!!:eek:

fisharmor
09-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah... my employee handbook says explicitly that I am not to bring firearms to work.
Yet the right to bear arms is spelled out in pretty plain English.

Nobody cares about that. But we can't set up special castes of protected people fast enough.

Crazy times we live in. At this point, I'm having to look out a window every time someone says "Good Morning", just to see if it's night outside.