PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale for Liberty

ronpaulhawaii
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.kokeshforcongress.com/node/325

By Mark Johnson, on Sep 23, 2009
https://kokesh.netboots.net/sites/kokesh.netboots.net/files/imagecache/fullsize/images/Andrew_Sharp/yardsaleforliberty.jpg

What a success! Creativity at its finest!

On Friday September 18th and Saturday September 19th Michael and Flower Scallia -- Michael being an exceptional $1K Challenger -- held a Yard Sale for Liberty. Michael and Flower Scallia raised $225 basically in one day. Great work! I say “basically in one day” because the second day of the sale was rained out after an hour and a half, yet they still managed to raise $75 in that time. Impressive!

more at link

disorderlyvision
09-24-2009, 07:18 AM
great idea.

the grassroots should have yard sales all over the country and donate the proceeds to the candidates.

better be careful though so you do not get a $15 million dollar fine from the gov.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=211546

kaleidoscope eyes
09-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Ha , i was just thinking of this! how funny.
either that, or a bake sale :)

KCIndy
09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Ha , i was just thinking of this! how funny.
either that, or a bake sale :)

Hey, people often scoff at things like bake sales, but they can be highly effective when done by a motivated group.

Bake sales, car washes, yard/garage/rummage sales, or barbecue/cookout events are all good fund raising tools that are probably being overlooked by the grassroots.

ronpaulhawaii
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey, people often scoff at things like bake sales, but they can be highly effective when done by a motivated group.

Bake sales, car washes, yard/garage/rummage sales, or barbecue/cookout events are all good fund raising tools that are probably being overlooked by the grassroots.

+1

Also events, like a "For Liberty" showing, with silent auctions/etc...

Mandrik
09-24-2009, 06:27 PM
I just started selling baklava online yesterday (taking preorders, starting to ship October 1). I've gotten a ton of orders already from just posting in a couple different forums I frequent. I thought about posting something here and donating some of the proceeds towards Rand/Schiff/Kokesh. The only reason I haven't is because how could I prove that I donated the proceeds? I don't want to do this and have people think I'm scamming them. I would never do it without proper admin approval.

My baklava is the best, though. :)

kaleidoscope eyes
09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I just started selling baklava online yesterday (taking preorders, starting to ship October 1). I've gotten a ton of orders already from just posting in a couple different forums I frequent. I thought about posting something here and donating some of the proceeds towards Rand/Schiff/Kokesh. The only reason I haven't is because how could I prove that I donated the proceeds? I don't want to do this and have people think I'm scamming them. I would never do it without proper admin approval.

My baklava is the best, though. :)

no way, my grandma's baklava was the best! :P BTW good idea mandrik!

Mandrik
09-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I love & miss my grandmother who passed in Feb (My wife & I even named one of our twin daughters after her-Maria), but even she was impressed with the way I make my baklava. Almost everyone I know uses basic clover honey, but I use buckwheat honey. That stuff looks like tar, but it is amazing in the baklava syrup. I also use a lot more layers and grind the walnuts very fine so the flavor of everything is balanced out. It's something I've worked on mastering since I started making it back in '94 as a teenager.

I do miss her spanikopita, though. Thankfully she taught a lot of us in the family how to make that a couple years ago, including how to make her home made phillo dough (which is thicker than the boxed kind and tastes amazing!). Sigh, I miss my yiayia. :( She was a kind and gentle woman.

Sorry for digressing here.

KCIndy
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought about posting something here and donating some of the proceeds towards Rand/Schiff/Kokesh. The only reason I haven't is because how could I prove that I donated the proceeds? I don't want to do this and have people think I'm scamming them. I would never do it without proper admin approval.

You're right - getting admin approval is both correct and polite.

Beyond that, I can see a real potential - either on this site or some other site set up for this specific purpose - to do some stuff like this as a fund raiser. People could offer items for sale (or auction?) with the specific, stated purpose that all raised funds would go to the candidates or campaigns.

The problem of "scamming" could be solved by use of third party verification. Say in the above scenario with Mandrik, I agreed to buy something he offered for sale in order to raise funds for Adam Kokesh (just to pick one candidate for the example). Let's say I agreed to donate $100 to the Kokesh campaign in exchange for two pounds of his wonderful, incredibly tasty Baklava.

If someone either: A) at the Kokesh campaign, or B) willing to volunteer as a trusted third party would agree, in this scenario I could mail/call/PayPal in the donation to said person, who in turn could simply send Mandrik a "Yes, we got it!" confirmation email. At that point, Mandrik could mail out the goodies.

Advantages:

*It is human nature to donate more when the donor is getting something back in return, even if it's a token something. More donors might be tapped via this method than would normally volunteer to simply make a donation.

*It would act as a "cash multiplier" for many potential donors. Again, to cite the above scenario, let's say that Mandrik puts $25 into supplies and postage. (I have NO idea what the actual cost is, I'm just using this as an example!) By doing this, his $25 is suddenly turned into a $100 donation.

*Unique items might stir up more interest and get more people donating to the campaigns via these purchases.

Suggestion: In order not to swamp the "third party" person doing the verifications, it might be wise to set a minimum donation amount, say $100 - $200 or thereabouts as a cutoff point. There would be little point for any third party, especially one already involved in a busy campaign, to do all this extra work for a $15 donation.

This is just a stray thought, written down far too quickly because I have to get off my *ss and get busy doing work in the real world... but it is a thought nonetheless.

Thoughts, anyone?