PDA

View Full Version : How to grow the party!

Wampy
09-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I alluded to this, in an ironic fashion in another post, but it is a very serious suggestion. The LP needs both donations and exposure. Our population is stuck with two parties. It’s the way it is, the way it “always” has been, and always will be. This is a perspective problem, not a factual one. It’s the way it seems, it’s the way most everyone grew up. It’s just an excepted and expected thing. Most people have no reason to look at a 3rd party. It does not occur to most people to even bother to have the thought, much less actually look around. They will not come to you, except in small, sporadic numbers. You have to go to them.

3rd parties are psycho, fringe, one issue nut jobs and not even worth notice. That’s the general view. Hell, from what I’ve seen, that’s how most of them act anyway. Few people know that there are a very few serious alternative parties, with comprehensive platforms. Again, they are not going to bother to find out otherwise. Call them “sheeple”, call them whatever you like, that’s reality. Reality is that you will not attract a lot of conservatives by highlighting the idea of legalizing drugs. Conversely, you will not attract a lot of moderate liberals by highlighting the idea of dismantling the welfare state. Reality is, the LP is not going to suddenly get a 60 percent majority and have a chance to push these things anyway, there is no reason to trumpet these sorts of things.

About 20 to 30 percent of voters are die hard liberals (I’m being nice here) who you will never reach. About the same will be die hard conservatives (ditto) who you will never reach.

There is, perhaps, about 10 percent who might vote libertarian if they knew the party even existed without any further prompting. That leaves about a third of the electorate somewhere in the middle that you might convince, if they know who you are and that there is even a 3rd choice to look at. This is the third that the two parties are always fighting over. Right now, the discontent and disgust with the fed and the parties is at a tremendous high. People, who have never protested before, are getting out of there chairs and say they will not take it anymore. Unfortunately, most of these people have no idea where to turn. They latch on to people that they think represent a “protest vote” within the two parties. We need to give them an option outside the party. This requires money and exposure. I know, none of this is rocket science. It’s politics 101, right?

***Editing***

disorderlyvision
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I am trying to get the LP off the ground in my county. I was appointed the chair of my county a couple months ago. I created a website, and got an op/ed in my paper today. so far I have 6 members signed up on my site and a few stragglers that haven't signed up. Hopefully we will get the ball rolling, get some candidates running (I am strongly considering a run at city council) and have an active group here. it is a small area, so I am pleased with the progress thus far.

I think people from the LP need to focus on local elections, as we have a much better shot of winning, especiall in non-partisan races, such as city council.

Kasey1
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I agree with you .http://www.photosnag.com/img/4673/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif