PDA

View Full Version : Romney fundraising

Bradley in DC
09-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Report to Show Romney Fortune's Bigger Role
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/29/AR2007092901537.html?wpisrc=newsletter

By Matthew Mosk and Perry Bacon Jr.
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, September 30, 2007; Page A05

When former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney closes the books on his latest campaign finance report today, it will reveal a slow but steady shift from a candidacy built on thousands of individual donations to one relying increasingly on his own personal fortune.

Top Romney advisers said last week that they expected his campaign to raise almost $40 million in the first nine of months this year. And though they have not released a firm figure, they expected that Romney will have supplemented those contributions with nearly $15 million of his own money. . .

Over the next three months, the balance between the money Romney raised from contributors and the money he drew from his own accounts began to shift. His fundraising haul dropped to $14 million, compared with the $17 million total of one of his top rivals, former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and the more than $32 million taken in by Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.). But Romney also lent himself an additional $6.5 million. . .

Romney's aides have signaled that he will report putting in about $6 million more of his own money over the past three months, and there are reasons for this. Romney's poll numbers in New Hampshire are slipping; and with him still running fourth among the leading GOP contenders in national surveys, his campaign sent out a memo both to reassure supporters and to lower their expectations.

MsDoodahs
09-30-2007, 08:00 AM
YAY YAY YAY!

Thank you for posting this Bradley!

Corydoras
09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
'He presented at an event in California a new rationale for doing this -- far from the "nightmare" he had described earlier -- telling supporters that, by dipping into his pocket, he would not be "beholden to any particular group for getting me into this race or for getting me elected."'

Like, say, the American people.

Johnnybags
09-30-2007, 08:14 AM
'He presented at an event in California a new rationale for doing this -- far from the "nightmare" he had described earlier -- telling supporters that, by dipping into his pocket, he would not be "beholden to any particular group for getting me into this race or for getting me elected."'

Like, say, the American people.

Flipping and soon the FLOP. Mitts on the downside, he is saturated and his message is non existent. I cannot wait for NH'ers to crush him at the primaries. He is on TOP of the polls there so there is nowhere to go but down.

Omnis
09-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I hope Mitt goes broke doing this.