PDA

View Full Version : Drug thugs ban flavored cigarettes

disorderlyvision
09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tobacco23-2009sep23,0,5421012.story

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday banned cigarettes with fruit, candy or clove flavors.

Authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act enacted in June, the ban represents an effort to reduce an easy entry point for youth into smoking and tobacco addiction. Some cigarette makers favored and others opposed giving the FDA this new authority.

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Bye bye, cloves.
:(

Dionysus
09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm not a smoker, but in the past I've smoked clove and vanilla flavored cigarettes, and they're good. Now there's another pretense for the cops to search people and throw them in jail.

Dreamofunity
09-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Sucks to be the maker of Cloves

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Black market time.:)

disorderlyvision
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Black market time.:)

also known as the free market:D

LittleLightShining
09-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a friend in his 70's who is rippin' about this. He's been on a mission al summer to stock up on all the cherry and vanilla cigarettes he can find.

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I can't seem to find out when this goes into effect. Anyone know?

Bruno
09-23-2009, 06:52 PM
also known as the free market:D

This

Dionysus
09-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I've smoked cherry flavored tobacco out of a hookah, in some kind of coal form, is that banned? You can buy flavored pipe tobacco. What if you roll at home? What if you grow tobacco and roll your own and decide to flavor it? This is so stupid.

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I wonder if they're gonna ban the flavored paper, yeah..

Bruno
09-23-2009, 06:59 PM
This is utter bullshit, really. The vast majority of youth who start smoking, do not try clove cigarettes first anyway. I don't know one smoker who tried cloves first, though there may be some.

That is in addition to the fact that they are just applying the failed Gateway Theory logic using against marijuana to cloves.

As if either one really matters, when the real issue is you should be able to smoke whatever you want to.

Dionysus
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Lettuce is next. Wait for the Congressman's speech!

YouTube - Smoking Lettuce: Auto Tune the News #5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqTrUpmwPg)

Bruno
09-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Good stuff! ^

LittleLightShining
09-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I've smoked cherry flavored tobacco out of a hookah, in some kind of coal form, is that banned? You can buy flavored pipe tobacco. What if you roll at home? What if you grow tobacco and roll your own and decide to flavor it? This is so stupid.

I was rolling my own for a while but then I got lazy and started buying packs. I used to put a teeny little bit of clove oil on the tobacco. It smelled good but lacked that sweet-lips effect. I never could figure out how to do that.

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 07:08 PM
This is utter bullshit, really. The vast majority of youth who start smoking, do not try clove cigarettes first anyway. I don't know one smoker who tried cloves first, though there may be some.

That is in addition to the fact that they are just applying the failed Gateway Theory logic using against marijuana to cloves.

As if either one really matters, when the real issue is you should be able to smoke whatever you want to.

I tried my first and only cigarette which was a clove at the age of 21.
I am probably not normal.:)

Bruno
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I tried my first and only cigarette which was a clove at the age of 21.
I am probably not normal.:)

You're not normal in that you only tried one cigarette. ;)
Glad you had just the one.

Wish I would have stopped at one! I smoked my first cigarette at five with some older kids, and started at 15. I tried quitting countless times, was successful for more than a year a number of times, and kept coming back to it, always when I was drinking.

Wife and I quit four years ago and haven't had one since! :)

Reason
09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
What about prime times and such?

pcosmar
09-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, the ignorance.
one step forward, two steps back

YouTube - Mellow Yellow by Donovan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCCjv2OiTxE)

Captain Bryan
09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
You're not normal in that you only tried one cigarette. ;)
Glad you had just the one.

Wish I would have stopped at one! I smoked my first cigarette at five with some older kids, and started at 15. I tried quitting countless times, was successful for more than a year a number of times, and kept coming back to it, always when I was drinking.

Wife and I quit four years ago and haven't had one since! :)

It was pretty strange. I got some headaches from not having more, I honestly would have smoked more, but I was too lazy at the time to buy more, and by the time I was going to get some I didn't feel like it anymore. So, yay lazyness?
I got pretty lucky, I suppose.
I've had my health problems at a pretty young age, so I'm thinking as long as I don't smoke or drink a lot my 30-70s are going to be smooth sailing.:)

Dreamofunity
09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Someone brought this up, but no one answered; does this effect shisha as well?

Bruno
09-23-2009, 08:29 PM
It was pretty strange. I got some headaches from not having more, I honestly would have smoked more, but I was too lazy at the time to buy more, and by the time I was going to get some I didn't feel like it anymore. So, yay lazyness?
I got pretty lucky, I suppose.
I've had my health problems at a pretty young age, so I'm thinking as long as I don't smoke or drink a lot my 30-70s are going to be smooth sailing.:)

In this case, Laziness ftw! :D

Hope its nothing but smooth sailing from here on for you, too! :)

Scofield
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
And they have the constitutional authority to do this how...?

Wampy
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I had this whole long post that was pithy and clever and sarcastic, but after paying 5 bucks for a pack of cigs, I found I had no energy left to be that clever.

I’ll just have to leave it at giving the communists permission to kiss my rear end. I’ll be clever and witty later.

Dr.3D
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM
So does this mean menthol flavored cigarettes will also be banned?

Ninja Homer
09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

I haven't read it yet, but pipe tobacco and cigars are usually left out of these bans/restrictions/taxes. RYO tobacco was hit with the most recent fed tax increases with over a 1200% increase, so now RYO tobacco is about the same price as buying commercial cigarettes in cartons. Big tobacco lobbied against this tax increase until the RYO increase was added. You can now get pipe tobacco for about half the cost of RYO... and the only difference between the two is that pipe tobacco is cut a little thicker. I'm guessing the reason that pipe tobacco and cigars are left out of this BS is because politicians are more prone to have the occasional puff on the pipe or cigar.

I wonder if menthol is considered a flavored cigarette? If so, a lot of smokers are about to have a shit-fit. Most menthol smokers will not just switch to regular cigarettes without doing a hell of a lot of complaining.

By the way, any smoker is a prime candidate for becoming a Ron Paul Republican. Just talk to them about government tobacco taxes and bans and 95% of them will be converted in about 20 minutes.

Dionysus
09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Chomsky's real far left, but he's very smart. I heard him predict the total criminalization of cigarettes years ago. He said whenever a drug becomes primarily associated with the working class, it gets criminalized. On the other hand, pot smoking hippies turned yuppies have practically legalized pot in CA. Oh, you have to go to a pot doc to get a prescription, but after that, it's legal.

risk_reward
09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
So does this mean menthol flavored cigarettes will also be banned?

No, phillip morris makes those. The flavored cigs were starting to take away from their business.