PDA

View Full Version : People are clueless, we still have a lot of work to do

libertarian4321
09-30-2007, 06:24 AM
I wear my Ron Paul Tshirts almost everywhere I go.

Every once in a while, someone will ask me "who is Ron Paul?" While I'm glad they ask, it also concerns me greatly. A lot of these folks are not stupid, they are just utterly clueless- they have no idea who Ron Paul is, despite the fact that Ron has been in all the debates, all the internet exposure, the grassroots effort, and his MSM appearances (not to mention that I live only 40 miles from Ron Paul's congressional district).

My conclusion is that most Americans simply have no awareness of whats going on around them- they don't watch the debates, they don't watch TV news shows, they don't go to political web sites, they don't listen to talk radio. They are blissfully ignorant.

So we need to reach out to the ignorant masses- I think that may mean spending less time worrying about "straw polls", online polls, gallup polls, political events, etc and more time going to events where the average clueless American goes.

If you are going to "set up a booth" or do some campaigning (even if its just wearing your Tshirt and keeping a supply of business cards in your pocket for anyone who asks about RP), try hitting events that have NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS- sports events, flea markets, malls, restaurants, walmart on payday (thats when you'll be seen by the most people), etc.

Go out and RP hang signs around your town, too- even if they are just something you made from a cardboard box and some old paint you had in the garage. If every RP supporter put up 2 signs somewhere other than their front yard, that would help a lot.

constituent
09-30-2007, 06:40 AM
simple solution...

see: here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=20812)

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Every once in a while, someone will ask me "who is Ron Paul?" While I'm glad they ask, it also concerns me greatly. A lot of these folks are not stupid, they are just utterly clueless- they have no idea who Ron Paul is, despite the fact that Ron has been in all the debates, all the internet exposure, the grassroots effort, and his MSM appearances (not to mention that I live only 40 miles from Ron Paul's congressional district).

My conclusion is that most Americans simply have no awareness of whats going on around them- they don't watch the debates, they don't watch TV news shows, they don't go to political web sites, they don't listen to talk radio. They are blissfully ignorant.

So we need to reach out to the ignorant masses- I think that may mean spending less time worrying about "straw polls", online polls, gallup polls, political events, etc and more time going to events where the average clueless American goes.

If you are going to "set up a booth" or do some campaigning (even if its just wearing your Tshirt and keeping a supply of business cards in your pocket for anyone who asks about RP), try hitting events that have NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS- sports events, flea markets, malls, restaurants, walmart on payday (thats when you'll be seen by the most people), etc.

Go out and RP hang signs around your town, too- even if they are just something you made from a cardboard box and some old paint you had in the garage. If every RP supporter put up 2 signs somewhere other than their front yard, that would help a lot.

Yeah, it's time we did some old-fashioned campaigning.

Please everyone... please check out and see when the gun shows are going to be happening close to you and arrange for a table or something. Gun owners should be extremely easy sells for Ron Paul. This is what you might call, low hanging fruit and we need to pick it, so to speak. :)

There are good flyers out there targeted towards gunowners in the Campaign Materials section of this forum. If anyone wants to do this, but needs some help with printing costs, PM me and I will help out.

american.swan
09-30-2007, 07:40 AM

AMEN!! Preach it!!

Geronimo
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
My conclusion is that most Americans simply have no awareness of whats going on around them- they don't watch the debates, they don't watch TV news shows, they don't go to political web sites, they don't listen to talk radio. They are blissfully ignorant..

A lot of these people can be easily reached through myspace.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 09:43 AM
What about all those who do not use the internet at all, or just use it for email? Should we just forget all these people?

jjockers
09-30-2007, 10:50 AM
It's important to keep in mind that only 25% of the people vote in the general election. How many vote in the primaries? You can't expect that many people to pay attention to RP when so few care in the primaries.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-30-2007, 10:53 AM
maybe they're saying "who's ron paul?" as a gimmick? lol

goRPaul
09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
It's important to keep in mind that only 25% of the people vote in the general election. How many vote in the primaries? You can't expect that many people to pay attention to RP when so few care in the primaries.

Its about 50% in presidential elections, 30-35% in off-year elections, and 10-15% in presidential primaries.

We need to be selective with the people we want to spread the message to. We can't target everybody- that's not feasible, and time will tell if the MSM will do that for us. We can't target people who are so far engrossed with their own candidate, they just won't listen so its a waste of time.

But we can target the politically disaffected, the people who have an interest but have never found anyone who is working for them. These people probably don't look up politics on the internet, but if they got to see and hear Ron speak, they'd really like what he has to say. This group of people are often very young, or people who have grown up and realized that the two major parties are taking government too far.

Our message is best heard by those with open ears. We need to be selective and try to reach out to these people. That's how we can most effectively boost our numbers.

mconder
09-30-2007, 11:59 AM
10-15% in presidential primaries.

It's hard to believe a small majority of this already small percentage has such an impact on this nation's fate.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-30-2007, 12:00 PM
why do they even bother voting

Bradley in DC
09-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Its about 50% in presidential elections, 30-35% in off-year elections, and 10-15% in presidential primaries.

I'm pretty sure those rough percentages are of registered voters--not of all eligible voters. The number actually voting in the presidential primaries is amazingly small. In those circumstances, an enthusiastic, dedicated group can register their support in a very disproportionate way (think online polls and straw polls!). If only we could get the Ron Paul base enthused! :)

dircha
09-30-2007, 01:30 PM
A lot of these folks are not stupid, they are just utterly clueless- they have no idea who Ron Paul is, despite the fact that Ron has been in all the debates, all the internet exposure, the grassroots effort, and his MSM appearances (not to mention that I live only 40 miles from Ron Paul's congressional district).

Most televised primary debates draw less than 1 million viewers, out of a current U.S. population of about 300 million.

Most of Paul's "MSM" appearances have been on cable news networks. Cable news networks are hardly MSM. Even very popular shows such as O'Reilly draw miniscule crowds compared to broadcast television.

If you are reading this post right now, you are not mainstream.

We take these things for granted, but many people on a forum like this spend more time in a month talking and thinking about politics than probably most people will in their entire adult lives.

Jimmy
09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Getting people lined up to vote in the primaries is going to be the main deal. I'm doing my part to get my family and group of friends, that vote, to vote Ron Paul and those that usually don't vote in the primaries interested in doing so for RP. Also spreading the word anywhere I can.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-30-2007, 01:43 PM
How about we knock on every door in America? leave literature for people that don't answer