PDA

View Full Version : Ron Reagan (son of President Reagan): why I'm an atheist (youtube)

emazur
09-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Well I was coming back home today on my bike and noticed a stereo and CDs placed by the dumpster and took them home with me. While I was testing it (works perfectly BTW) I turned on the radio and heard Ron Reagan's talk show on Air America, and he mentioned that he had almost always been an atheist. I had no idea and was pretty surprised, and I searched the internet to see if I could find the recording but found something better - a radio interview from '07 on how he became an atheist. I tubed it:
YouTube - Ron Reagan (son of President Reagan): why I'm an atheist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAN6HyV_uA)
That's only a portion of their weekly show - I enjoyed the whole thing, and they have all their archives available free of charge which I plan on listening to. I think other atheists will like it. Probably not for Christians, but the hosts aren't hateful or militant or anything like that, so they might find it worthwhile to listen to just to understand the "opposition".

LibertyEagle
09-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Why surprised? He never agreed with the principles that his father espoused. Note that I said ESPOUSED.

emazur
09-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Why surprised? He never agreed with the principles that his father espoused. Note that I said ESPOUSED.

I already knew he was liberal, but that doesn't mean he would be atheist. I had no idea and figured I would have heard about it by now (I'll bet plenty of other people here never knew either - like he said, he doesn't go around wearing a sandwich board saying "kiss me, I'm atheist"). I was also surprised the first time I heard Cheney had a gay daughter.

Spot the Fed
09-23-2009, 03:45 AM
isnt this the dancer? Big shocker.

randolphfuller
09-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Wasn't Reagan deeply estranged from all four of his children? Maureen took out an advertisement in several national newspapers announcing she had had an abortion. This at a time when her father was the darling of the Christian right? Patty wrote that book pretty derogatory of her father and spilling family secrets while she was living openly as the concubine of a member of a hard acid rock group? Michael embarrassed his father by openly soliciting retainers as a lobbyist as soon as his father became President. Ronaldwas a ballet dancer married toa woman 12 years his senior? There were never any happy Thanksgiving family dinners together and according to Barbara Bush in eight years none of the children were ever invited to Camp David. This from the principal advocate of family values. John Stuart Mill called the Conservatives "the stupid man's party." He had never really considered our American Republicans.

Spot the Fed
09-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Wasn't Reagan deeply estranged from all four of his children? Maureen took out an advertisement in several national newspapers announcing she had had an abortion. This at a time when her father was the darling of the Christian right? Patty wrote that book pretty derogatory of her father and spilling family secrets while she was living openly as the concubine of a member of a hard acid rock group? Michael embarrassed his father by openly soliciting retainers as a lobbyist as soon as his father became President. Ronaldwas a ballet dancer married toa woman 12 years his senior? There were never any happy Thanksgiving family dinners together and according to Barbara Bush in eight years none of the children were ever invited to Camp David. This from the principal advocate of family values. John Stuart Mill called the Conservatives "the stupid man's party." He had never really considered our American Republicans.

so because Reagan was a bad parent, that means his politics are fail? Well hell, if that is the basis for judging a politician, then Carter must have been a huge success.

angelatc
09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Nancy was part of the problem there too, I believe. I believe the kids eventually grew up and reconciled with him. I suppose a guy can run the country, or he can run his family.

TGGRV
09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Reagan is the best president the US had since 1900. lol. Even though he fucked up on a bunch of things.

angelatc
09-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Reagan is the best president the US had since 1900. lol. Even though he fucked up on a bunch of things.

Coolidge ftw.