PDA

View Full Version : Fewer Rules = Better Behavior

CCTelander
09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
At least with traffic, fewer rules make for better behavior
September 18, 1:38 PMCivil Liberties ExaminerJ.D. Tuccille

Officials in Drachten, Holland, wanted to reduce accidents and injuries on the town's roads, so they turned to a traffic engineer with an unusual idea: eliminate rules. Hans Monderman believes that people are more careful when they are subject to fewer commandments and less direction. So he removed road signs, traffic lights and even markings. The so-far positive results suggest that better results may well come from letting people make ad hoc arrangements on the spot than from subjecting them to top-down control.

Part of the problem is that regulations seem to create a false sense of security -- and entitlement. A recent British study found that drivers actually give bicyclists less room when cycle lanes are explicitly marked on the road. Leaving the road unmarked creates greater perceived danger and forces drivers to make their own arrangements -- generally creating a safer situation for bicyclists. The same dynamic, Monderman claims, prevails in all traffic situations. Leave drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to their own devices, and they come to better arrangements than any that can be forced on them.

So far, the data seems to support Monderman's theory. At least one report (PDF) on Drachten's traffic experiment found a significant drop in accidents and injuries after traffic signals were removed at a busy intersection -- from between four and ten a year before the change to one per year thereafter. Traffic also began to move faster through the intersection even as it became safer. "On the busiest streets average times to cross the intersection have fallen from 50 seconds to about 30 seconds."

There's a concept called "spontaneous order" popular among many philosophers and economists. The idea is that people are perfectly capable of adapting to new situations and establishing rules of the game for dealing with one another that are better than those imposed from above. The Drachten experiment looks to be an example of spontaneous order in action, as people create, on the fly, safe, sane ways to negotiate their way through busy roads.

Monderman's ideas are now being implemented in other municipalities in Holland and Germany, and are under consideration in the United States.

But left for the future is the idea that there might be wider lessons to be drawn from Drachten's experiment in letting people negotiate their relationships with one another with fewer rules standing in the way of better outcomes.

http://www.examiner.com/x-536-Civil-Liberties-Examiner~y2009m9d18-At-least-with-traffic-fewer-rules-make-for-better-behavior?cid=examiner-email

The evidence continues to mount, and be ignored.

heavenlyboy34
09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
saw this earlier. Glad you posted it-I hope people read this and consider it. :) Freedom FTW!

ScoutsHonor
09-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Paraphrasing Dr. Ron Paul: Freedom is Practical!

:)

dannno
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
LOL, this article is a libertarian's wet dream for sure..

CCTelander
09-22-2009, 06:10 PM
saw this earlier. Glad you posted it-I hope people read this and consider it. :)

Me too. It seems to be off to a good start, anyway.

Original_Intent
09-22-2009, 06:10 PM
LOL, this article is a libertarian's wet dream for sure..

or an anarchist's...

dannno
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
or an anarchist's...

True dat..

Justin D
09-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I think I read this on Lewrockwell.com. The liberals in NY state would laugh at the thought of "spontaneous order". No, everyone must be controlled by the state!

There's an issue on Long Island about red light cameras catching people making right turns after not making a complete stop while at a red light. The state wants people to make a complete stop before turning. If you don't, you get a ticket by the camera. Apparently, the people who write to Newsday want this system because they want to catch these "criminals" who don't make a complete stop. They argue that "it's just like having a cop where you need one the most, even if one is not around".

Here's what I think. They should take the people who root for the state like this and they should attach GPS units to their cars. That way, when they go over the speed limit, they automatically get a ticket from the satellite. If they go over the limit more than once a day, the ticket doubles for every time it happens. Collection will be by the IRS. If you don't pay, you must travel 50 miles to court. If you don't show for trial, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Then your property will be seized by the state. I can defend this system using the same argument for the red light camera issue.

Conclusion: the state doesn't need to micromanage how people make turns. I say that if no one is coming from the left and there are no predestrians, then make the turn. People shouldn't be forced to stop. That's annoying, especially for people with manual transmissions. If you crash into someone, then you are responsible. No need to micromanage.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-22-2009, 06:27 PM
nt

heavenlyboy34
09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
or an anarchist's...

:D w00t!