PDA

View Full Version : Concord Monitor coverage of RP in Manchester 9/29 ("Many awakenings")

LizF
09-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Many awakenings
Ron Paul is as surprised as anyone at the near messianic zeal he inspires

"Ron Paul doesn't understand his own success. He didn't know his calls for an end to the Federal Reserve and the Department of Education would draw cheers, that his anti-income tax, anti-foreign intervention and libertarian message would resonate. He was reluctant to run for the Republican presidential nomination, he said yesterday: He was convinced it would take another "generation for education" before his message - rooted in Paul's reading of the Constitution - gained traction.

"I have been just dumbfounded about what's happening," Paul said yesterday in Manchester's Veteran's Park, where roughly 500 sup

porters gathered for a glimpse of the presidential candidate. "I've been talking this way for 30 years. But something, something special is happening."

To attend a Ron Paul event is to see where some disaffected Democrats and Republicans have turned. There were anti-war activists and fiscal conservatives, opponents of the North American Free Trade Agreement and proponents of tougher border security. And there were those who scarcely paid attention to politics before discovering Paul, many driving hundreds of miles for the hour-long rally.

Many of them supported Paul's candidacy with an almost messianic zeal.
"He's the most wonderful human being in America now!," Sydney Walsh of Troy exclaimed after posing with Paul for a photograph. She quickly modified the statement with "besides my husband."

The conclusion of Paul's speech elicited a reaction worthy of a rock concert. Members of the audience chanted his name. Several jumped up and down. Descending from the stage (which was outfitted with a sign sporting a giant picture of the candidate), Paul found himself surrounded by supporters snapping cell-phone photographs. Two women turned so Paul could sign the backs of their T-shirts.

Surrounding the park, cars sported license plates from throughout New England. Along with his wife and daughter, Travis St. Germaine drove four hours from his home in Plattsburgh, N. Y., to see the man St. Germaine described as "a champion of the Constitution." Tom Sheehan, of Norwich, Conn., walked the park in what he described as a "colonial, Minute Man" get-up: white socks pulled over the bottom portion of his pants, vest, old-fashioned backpack with a Ron Paul sign extended from the top.

Joan Donahue, of Nashua, described her Paul awakening as "an epiphany; it's the wake-up-from-the-slumber thing." Previously a registered Democrat, Donahue learned about Paul on an anti-war website (among Republican presidential candidates, Paul was the sole opponent of the war in 2002). "He's the only anti-war candidate, and the only candidate who puts America first." "

For full article click: http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/NEWS01/709300331

Hurricane Bruiser
09-30-2007, 06:43 AM
nice article. Note that the above is just an excerpt

ItsTime
09-30-2007, 06:52 AM
getting a lot of good press in the papers. the local tv news is only talking about the handful of people that showed up to meet McCain and Obama.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2007, 07:27 AM
getting a lot of good press in the papers. the local tv news is only talking about the handful of people that showed up to meet McCain and Obama.

Dang. I thought New Hampshire was the Live Free or Die state?

Corydoras
09-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Dang. I thought New Hampshire was the Live Free or Die state?

I am under a general impression that the NH papers are dominated by old-time NH people and the NH TV stations are dominated by Boston establishment types.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-30-2007, 10:17 AM
maybe the people of NH should lynch these neo cons :D

I'm very anti-death penalty... but I must say, I really hate these people LOL