PDA

View Full Version : David Gay 2010?

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Last year I was endorsed by Ron Paul to run for Congress...

I couldn't make it on the ballot (NY State requirements are near impossible for a candidate who is not backed by a major party!), but I was able to raise issues to the public and in the news for a few months while still campaigning.

Is it worth it to try again? Would I receive support this time, even though I failed to get on the ballot last year?

Indy Vidual
09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Did you enjoy at least part of the experience? If so, try again. :)

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I enjoyed it... I also saw first hand how disgusting politics is, and why things never change for the better in this country... but with the proper coordinated effort, we CAN change that... If I can rally enough volunteers and nationawide internet support from my fellow 'Ron Paul Revolutionaries' then I might join the race... so far no one has announced to challenge the Democrat, and I certainly don't "trust the party" to give me a valid candidate. Perhaps we'll get a mildly conservative contender, but never a constitutionalist unless a private citizen like myself stands up to do it.

angelatc
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Can you make it on the ballot this time?

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
That's the thing... so many people encouraged me to run, but so few people volunteered to help with petitioning... maybe some of the people who weren't able to come out last year might want to help now... it's really about rallying local volunteers and internet interest right now... exploratory as it were.

angelatc
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
That's the thing... so many people encouraged me to run, but so few people volunteered to help with petitioning... maybe some of the people who weren't able to come out last year might want to help now... it's really about rallying local volunteers and internet interest right now... exploratory as it were.

I feel your pain. It's a problem that all campaigns have. If you need somebody to join a Facebook group they're totally in, and they'll even come to the "fun" things like sign waves, but getting people to knock on doors or gather sigs is a job in itself.

Aratus
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
the qualifying time for our own special election for teddy kennedy's senate seat had me
groaning and morphing back to a very shamefaced couch potato! in New York state, if you
have longer to collect up signatures than baystate we do right now, if you can run... RUN!

justinc.1089
09-22-2009, 01:58 PM
HELL YES YOU SHOULD RUN!!!

If you can do it then it is your duty as an American to serve our country! I wish I had the ability to run but I'm just a broke college student lol. I'm too young and too in-experienced, but in the future one day I hope I will be able to run at the very least for a state position.

I think since there is no Republican yet you should absolutely run. If the area usually votes Democrat, and I assuming it does, capitalize on the anti-war feelings and criticize the Democrats for not ending the war yet. Then maybe you could win.

I think we need every person running that can possibly run. We MUST have our first victory this election cycle.

If there would be any way I could help you over the internet I would give you all the help I could. I can't be there in person to help since I'm in Tennessee but I would help anyway I could still through whatever means, probably the internet I guess.

I really hope you will run as the Republican nominee though. If its not a situation where you have a real chance to win though I wouldn't suggest trying to get tons of money when it is needed by candidates that are likely to win, but if you have a real shot you must go for it.

Its only the power-hungry madmen that WANT to be politicians. Normal good people don't want it, and those are who we need, and who MUST run when they are able to do so. Its our patriotic duty to fight for our country since we were given a republic with freedom.

Please give it serious consideration. I know its probably very hard, and very frustrating, but it is the most important thing you could possibly do for your country that I can think of.

Politicallore
09-22-2009, 03:50 PM
David...

We need people like you. I can help you and make sure you get the news coverage you need.

Heck, I might be willing to travel to NY if I had to occasionally.

Send me an email.

Nathan Hale
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Last year I was endorsed by Ron Paul to run for Congress...

I couldn't make it on the ballot (NY State requirements are near impossible for a candidate who is not backed by a major party!), but I was able to raise issues to the public and in the news for a few months while still campaigning.

Is it worth it to try again? Would I receive support this time, even though I failed to get on the ballot last year?

If you can get on the ballot under a major party label, it's worth it.

If not, don't bother. NY is a bad state to run as a third party, so you'd really just be chewing up dollars and activist hours. Instead, take that energy and transfer it to another venture, such as local C4L, Y4L, 9/12, Tea Party, etc. Your time will be better spent on that front because you won't have to worry about jumping through all the hoops you'd otherwise have to jump through in order to run a political campaign.

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
If you can get on the ballot under a major party label, it's worth it.

If not, don't bother. NY is a bad state to run as a third party, so you'd really just be chewing up dollars and activist hours. Instead, take that energy and transfer it to another venture, such as local C4L, Y4L, 9/12, Tea Party, etc. Your time will be better spent on that front because you won't have to worry about jumping through all the hoops you'd otherwise have to jump through in order to run a political campaign.

I can if I primary. I'm still registered Republican. I doubt the Republican Party will endorse me, but the grassroots movement in my region has grown tremendously since Obama came in. People have been flocking to the local meetup sites that I organize... So I know I can get the word around. I don't want to start fundraising immediately this time. I need to get a direct mail campaign started to take the local temperature and find out if I can garner up any volunteers from it. Any suggestions on direct mailings, anyone?

Nathan Hale
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I can if I primary. I'm still registered Republican. I doubt the Republican Party will endorse me, but the grassroots movement in my region has grown tremendously since Obama came in. People have been flocking to the local meetup sites that I organize... So I know I can get the word around.

Yes! I bet you can. That's the Kokesh plan, the Rand plan, and (hopefully) the Schiff plan. You absolutely can and should try to primary as a Republican.

I don't want to start fundraising immediately this time.

If you can afford it, go for it. Fundraising is only necessary early in the campaign if you cannot afford to pay the startup costs yourself. But it doesn't hurt to fundraise early if only to get a head start on the process. If early donors don't max out, you can hit them again later in the campaign.

I need to get a direct mail campaign started to take the local temperature and find out if I can garner up any volunteers from it. Any suggestions on direct mailings, anyone?

Postcard. It's cheaper. Plus, you never want to mail a #10 envelope, it gets lost in the shuffle too easy. You want a large postcard mailing (no envelope), preferably wider than a #10 and of a color other than white, so that it stands out in the mail pile. Don't pack it with information, 300 words or less on both sides. Include a picture of yourself on one side that takes up at least a quarter of the surface area of the postcard. Your text should be a 50 word biography, five bullet point issue summaries, your web address (prominent), a campaign slogan, and whatever incidental language you find to be necessary. On the other side of the postcard, leave space for addressing and devote the rest of the space to an issue statement - generic constitution watermark with quote by a founder and a picture of said founder will do.

It's a costly venture, however, even if you get a bulk rate on postage. Between postage and production you're spending close to $0.50 per unit - imagine what that adds up to when you're doing a mailing to three counties. In order for it to be profitable, you need to focus on your conversion rate (the number of people who take the time to research you further by visiting your web site or attending your events). In direct mail sales, a 1% conversion rate is fine. That won't work in politics, though, because at the end of the day you're going to need at least a 20% conversion rate in order to it to have any meaningful effect on the voting population before election day. So don't get too revolutionary in what you say. Consider the mailing a sales pitch for a job interview. Cite more your credentials as a community leader than your ideology. The one and only goal is to get the conversion - spark enough interest to the greatest number of people for them to type your URL into their browser or stop by your local meetup group - so make sure to include both forms of contact on your mailings.

Cowlesy
09-24-2009, 06:19 PM
David -- Why not start by getting on city council, or running for mayor, or for a NY State seat --- why go right for U.S. Congress? I admire the push to go full bore to the big leagues, but in order to raise funds and get the required local support, I think you need to show you can get elected to something first, and build a reputation at the local level.

Whatever you decide, I wish you best because you care, and are trying to do something. I just wanted to inject my $0.02 of pragmatism.

randolphfuller
09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Mr. Cowlsley gave good advice.Which district are you considering running in?Those the political wervices have tagged as safe Democratic will be easiest for you to get a Republican nomination. If there is a Democratic incumbent in a marginal district, the Republican Establishment will almost certainly be successful in installing their favorite. If the seat in Republican but undesirable hands, this may be the best shot for a freedom movement candidate. The incumbent is almost certain to have favored the invasion of Iraq, the TARP bailout, the stimulus package etc. Best of Luck!

TCE
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
If you can get in as a Republican in New York's 25th, you stand a great chance. Good luck to you!

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
If you can get in as a Republican in New York's 25th, you stand a great chance. Good luck to you!

That's the goal... and at this point, I'm going to do it. A website will be coming soon.

I'm not "starting small" and neither is Adam Kokesh. Plus, I ran last year, so the locals do know who I am. I just wasn't able to get on the ballot due to poor volunteer assistance... the good thing is that many of them now regret not helping me, and pledge to be there 100% this time. Plus, there's MANY new supporters since Obama got into office.

justinc.1089
09-24-2009, 11:26 PM
That's the goal... and at this point, I'm going to do it. A website will be coming soon.

I'm not "starting small" and neither is Adam Kokesh. Plus, I ran last year, so the locals do know who I am. I just wasn't able to get on the ballot due to poor volunteer assistance... the good thing is that many of them now regret not helping me, and pledge to be there 100% this time. Plus, there's MANY new supporters since Obama got into office.

You realize if you can make it in at least competing to run for the Republican nomination for the 25th district and get a moneybomb organized for you by the grassroots online you stand an extremely good chance of winning the entire thing don't you?

I just read that the current representative there is a democrat that won the past two elections, but before that there was a 10 term republican? If thats right or close to right, that means your district is probably about to swing back republican judging from what I read.

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-27-2009, 12:54 PM
You realize if you can make it in at least competing to run for the Republican nomination for the 25th district and get a moneybomb organized for you by the grassroots online you stand an extremely good chance of winning the entire thing don't you?

I just read that the current representative there is a democrat that won the past two elections, but before that there was a 10 term republican? If thats right or close to right, that means your district is probably about to swing back republican judging from what I read.

I do realize that! In fact, the current Rep is in his FIRST year... prior to that he challenged the incumbent Republican and lost. He won on his second try. He can be removed by the correct effort. I am currently forming an exploratory committee here at home... we should have some activity going on pretty soon.

angelatc
09-27-2009, 12:56 PM
David -- Why not start by getting on city council, or running for mayor, or for a NY State seat --- why go right for U.S. Congress? I admire the push to go full bore to the big leagues, but in order to raise funds and get the required local support, I think you need to show you can get elected to something first, and build a reputation at the local level.

Whatever you decide, I wish you best because you care, and are trying to do something. I just wanted to inject my $0.02 of pragmatism.

This is what I was going to type, except probably not as succinctly.

justinc.1089
09-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I do realize that! In fact, the current Rep is in his FIRST year... prior to that he challenged the incumbent Republican and lost. He won on his second try. He can be removed by the correct effort. I am currently forming an exploratory committee here at home... we should have some activity going on pretty soon.

Thats great to hear, good luck sir!

TCE
09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
For anyone who wants to see that David is correct in his electoral history:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York%27s_25th_congressional_district

How hard will it be to get the Republican nomination? Is there anyone currently running for it? I imagine this will be a huge seat for the RNC, so they will likely try to pummel you in the primary. If you do get the Republican nomination, we should be able to rally the movement to support you monetarily, given the fact that the chances are great for an upset.

justinc.1089
09-27-2009, 04:54 PM
For anyone who wants to see that David is correct in his electoral history:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York%27s_25th_congressional_district

How hard will it be to get the Republican nomination? Is there anyone currently running for it? I imagine this will be a huge seat for the RNC, so they will likely try to pummel you in the primary. If you do get the Republican nomination, we should be able to rally the movement to support you monetarily, given the fact that the chances are great for an upset.

We need to get the grassroots to support him while he is still running for the nomination to run against the dems, not just after he is nominated because if he gets the nomination he has an excellent chance to win against the dems.

TCE
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
We need to get the grassroots to support him while he is still running for the nomination to run against the dems, not just after he is nominated because if he gets the nomination he has an excellent chance to win against the dems.

That was misstated. I meant to say after we see the field, chances, etc.

justinc.1089
09-27-2009, 05:52 PM
That was misstated. I meant to say after we see the field, chances, etc.

Gotcha, I had a feeling that was what you meant.;)

David A. Gay, Sr.
09-28-2009, 04:14 PM
the Republican nomination? Is there anyone currently running for it? I imagine this will be a huge seat for the RNC, so they will likely try to pummel you in the primary. If you do get the Republican nomination, we should be able to rally the movement to support you monetarily, given the fact that the chances are great for an upset.

I spoke to a GOP insider today who says the GOP has "no serious candidate" of yet... even though they've been talking this spring about the "long list of qualified names interested in running"

I don't believe they can get anyone serious to run! I'm the first Republican to join the race... just like I was last year... only this time, I'm entering much earlier.

I will be setting up my exploratory committee this week and we'll take it from there. I just hope I can get support from the Revolution.

P.S. Last year I was endorsed by Ron Paul... and I just got an email from Tom Woods... he's endorsing me, too!

David A. Gay, Sr.
10-01-2009, 01:43 PM
new meetup for y'all to join:

http://www.meetup.com/davidgay2010