PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore City Trans Fat Ban Starts Sunday

disorderlyvision
09-20-2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.wbaltv.com/health/20993133/detail.html

BALTIMORE -- According to the National Institutes of Health, more than 12.5 million Americans have congestive heart disease, a stat that's part of the reason why Baltimore officials voted to make the city trans-fat free.

Anytime you see the ingredient partially hydrogenated oil on a label, that means it has trans fats in it, and trans fats are a significant contributor to heart disease and stroke. They are also associated with a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes, according to doctors.

As of Sunday, all city food establishments will have to ditch the trans fats when preparing food. The ordinance has been more than two years in the making but one that is still catching a few people off guard.

"All food service facilities must serve and sell food that doesn’t have an amount of trans fat," said city spokeswoman Olivia Farrow.

Food prepared on-site can only contain 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving or less, meaning no cooking with vegetable shortening, margarine or any kind of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Doctors said most trans fats are artificial fats, which elevate LDL levels, or bad cholesterol, which are the leading cause of heart disease. At the same time, trans fat lowers good cholesterol, or HDLs.

Heart disease is a problem nationwide and is one of the leading causes of death in Baltimore, health officials said.

"We know that in 2008, over 1,600 deaths were attributed to heart disease right here in the city of Baltimore," said City Councilwoman Agnes Welch.

That information prompted Welch to author a bill that bans the fat. Mayor Sheila Dixon signed the bill in March 2008.

"By removing trans fats from prepared foods, we have the potential to save lives throughout this city," said Assistant Deputy Mayor Janie McCullough.

New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and the state of California have banned trans fat from their eateries. The only exception to the rule is packaged foods that stores sell in-house.

YumYum
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Well, its a start at least. Now, if I can just get the government to remove the dog shit from the Chinese buffet where I live.

amy31416
09-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, its a start at least. Now, if I can just get the government to remove the dog shit from the Chinese buffet where I live.

Uhhh, why wouldn't you just stop eating there? You need the government to impose dietary restrictions?

No comprende.

SelfTaught
09-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Well, I assume you're not talking about dog shit literally.

I'm Chinese, and I can tell you that most Chinese buffets are garbage. There are a couple good ones, but for the most part they are straight up garbage. Ever get steamed fish or a bird's nest with scallops and shrimp? If not, you are going to the wrong places.

My uncle owns a chinese take out place that caters mainly to Americans, particularly black Americans, and what we serve them is probably the most unhealthy food. Trust me, I used to cook in the kitchen. Lard instead of oil, extra soy in the fried rice, and deep fried eggrolls by the hundreds served up with high fructose sweet and sour. Why does he do it? Because that's what sells. Most people get turned off when you talk about leafy vegetable dishes or steamed dishes. They want that orange chicken or General Tsao's which is probably the worst stuff you can order.

Americans make bad eating decisions but they know what they want. It all comes down to a matter of choice. You are going to see a whole lot of unhappy fat motherfuckers in Baltimore.

amy31416
09-20-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm Chinese, and I can tell you that most Chinese buffets are garbage. There are a couple good ones, but for the most part they are straight up garbage. Ever get steamed fish or a bird's nest with scallops and shrimp? If not, you are going to the wrong places.

My uncle owns a chinese take out place that caters mainly to Americans, particularly black Americans, and what we serve them is probably the most unhealthy food. Trust me, I used to cook in the kitchen. Lard instead of oil, extra soy in the fried rice, and deep fried eggrolls by the hundreds served up with high fructose sweet and sour. Why does he do it? Because that's what sells. Most people get turned off when you talk about leafy vegetable dishes or steamed dishes. They want that orange chicken or General Tsao's which is probably the worst stuff you can order.

Americans make bad eating decisions but they know what they want. It all comes down to a matter of choice. You are going to see a whole lot of unhappy fat motherfuckers in Baltimore.

Please, please please start a thread about some of your recipes/methods. I grew up cooking what I think is "real" Chinese food and learned it from my father and grandmother (who actually did travel to China and Japan relatively regularly.) I'm sure that I could learn a lot more though and would love to read about the real deal.

If you don't feel like it, just please point me toward a book or a chef to look into.

Many thanks!

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Isn't this kind of stuff how big government gets started? People demand the government to make this and that illegal and what not, when all it takes is a little boycotting.

james1906
09-20-2009, 09:49 PM

It's all you can eat for five bucks, stop your bitching!

sratiug
09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Lard is good for you. High fructose corn syrup or sugar, not so much.