PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: You're president, and...

Patriot123
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM
...you're all for a Constitutionally limited government. According to the Constitution, the cabinet system is illegal. George Washington is the one who set this precedent, of having a cabinet, if we recall. Would you remove the cabinet system? Would you keep it? Would you push for a constitutional amendment allowing the cabinet system? (even though that would make you look like a complete idiot?)

lx43
09-19-2009, 11:28 PM
I believe they are Article II, Section 2. The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States; he may require the opinion, in writing, of the principal officer in each of the executive departments, upon any subject relating to the duties of their respective offices, and he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.

james1906
09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm sure the Cabinet is Constitutional. it's just that the majority of the depts aren't.

I'd say the only ones allowed are:

Defense (Veterans's Affairs should be rolled into this)
State
Treasury (and NO FED!)
Justice (although the role would be limited, such as settling disputes between states, etc)

lx43
09-19-2009, 11:53 PM
James1906 I agree.