PDA

View Full Version : What Is Ron Paul's Position On Nuclear Power?

Objectivist
09-19-2009, 05:25 PM
DOing a search didn't get me much in the way of a conclusive position and I know many of you have probably come across something in the past. Any help?

Matthew Zak
09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I would guess that he doesn't think it's necessary (because it's expensive to have and excessive in war) but we are not in any position to tell other nations what kind of weapons they can have.

Edit: Oh, you said power, not weapons. lol

pcosmar
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
He spoke of nuclear power in a positive light when asked about energy, and lamented that we have had no new plants for over 20 years.
He is in favor of alternatives to oil being explored by a free market.

no links, I just remember what he said.:o

Ok, found a couple bits,
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=318

As economist Thomas DiLorenzo points out, the fundamental problem is government interference with supply in the electricity market. The nation’s population has risen dramatically in the last 30 years, causing a huge increase in demand for electricity. But supply has increased little if at all, thanks to environmentalists and land-use bureaucrats at both the state and federal levels. The Neo-Luddites, as DiLorenzo terms them, are adamantly against building new nuclear power plants, hydroelectric dams, and especially coal or natural gas-fired electric power plants. When demand grows without a corresponding increase in capacity, the entire electric grid becomes overloaded. Last week demonstrates that it doesn’t take much to tip the balance and crash the system over a large area.
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=433

Most Americans agree that the American economy should not be dependent upon Middle East oil. Economist George Reisman, however, explains that our own domestic regulations make us slaves to OPEC: “Today, it is possible once again to bring about a dramatic fall in the price of oil- indeed, one even larger than occurred in the 1980s. And it could begin right away. All that is necessary is to abolish the U.S. government’s restrictions on domestic energy production inspired by the environmentalist movement.”

Reisman also explains how abolishing restrictions on coal production, natural gas production, and nuclear power would further reduce the OPEC stranglehold. By increasing the supply of these other energy sources, demand for oil would decrease and prices would drop.

Probably more, but I have to feed the puppy.

tajitj
09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Before reading the post above, my first thought was, only if not govt funded and subsidized.

But they have to deal with the local outrage which comes with the idea of a nuke plant in their backyard.

If they do it clean and the locals are ok with it then why not.

The current GOP or at least old McCains position was YES, and we will use billions of govt money to fund plants. And if locals dont want it, to bad, I Mr President with help of Congress will pass a law making it so.

brandon
09-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Why should be it necessary for a politician to have an opinion on nuclear power?

Captain Bryan
09-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Why should be it necessary for a politician to have an opinion on nuclear power?

I don't think it is. I think he was just asking what, if any his opinion was on it.

Objectivist
09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't think it is. I think he was just asking what, if any his opinion was on it.

Thank you!

Yes, it is nice to know where a person stands on positions central to a prosperous economy, nuclear energy is central to that idea.

kahless
09-19-2009, 07:19 PM
If a politician is discussing nuclear power it usually includes taxpayers paying to build the plants and then footing the bill for the waste. I therefore do not think he would be for it in the traditional sense unless the unless private industry is paying for it.

Objectivist
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM
If a politician is discussing nuclear power it usually includes taxpayers paying to build the plants and then footing the bill for the waste. I therefore do not think he would be for it in the traditional sense unless the unless private industry is paying for it.

You really are lacking in understanding how the system is set up, you know that.

kahless
09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
You really are lacking in understanding how the system is set up, you know that.

I guess I just imagined John McCain's 30 new nuclear power plants proposal paid for by the US taxpayer. :rolleyes:

Objectivist
09-19-2009, 07:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Verde_Nuclear_Generating_Station