PDA

View Full Version : My congress critter's response to auditing the fed.

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Dear Mr. Drake:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me in regards to Ron Paul's legislation, H.R. 1207, which would audit the Federal Reserve. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I have heard from many constituents about this particular bill, and agree with the principles of transparency and openness. I have long supported measures that increase the government's transparency, and share your concerns with how funds are being distributed. However, I do not believe the audit authorized by this bill is the best way forward. The audit would not be completed until the end of 2010, and it would be duplicative of several reports and audits currently being undertaken. The Fed's independent Inspector General, the Special Inspector General for the TARP, the TARP Congressional Oversight Board, and the Fed itself will publish reams of audits and reports on the TARP and Fed activities between now and the end of next year. Many of these reports were recently created in response to calls for greater openness and transparency, such as the Fed's Monthly Report on Credit and Liquidity Programs, which it first published in June.

No one in Congress takes their responsibilities to oversee the actions of federal agencies more seriously than I do. Last year, President Bush signed into law my Inspectors General Reform Act, which brought greater autonomy and authority to the IGs who serve as our first line of defense against waste and fraud in the federal government.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Sincerely,
Jim Cooper
Member of Congress

I'm not surprised. He's also for cutting the deduction for charitable giving. And he has the nerve to call himself a "fiscal conservative".

ItsTime
09-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Well write them another letter reminding them you will not be voting for them next election.

Working Poor
09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
blah blah blah means he ain't voting for it...

muh_roads
09-17-2009, 06:13 PM
The audit would not be completed until the end of 2010, and it would be duplicative of several reports and audits currently being undertaken.

He's dancing as this is not true. Ron Paul's audit is calling for much more than what they give to the GAO.

This proves we need a full audit, right down to the cost of the cheese they use for the mouse traps in the office.

YouTube - Alan Grayson (High Quality Version): Is Anyone Minding the Store at the Federal Reserve? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqM2tFOxLQ)

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Well write them another letter reminding them you will not be voting for them next election.

I already played that card multiple times. But I can play it again. It's funny, when "cap and trade" was up for a vote I called and told his assistant "If he votes for this I will do everything in my power to see that he loses the next election." But I couldn't resist telling the assistant (who lives 5 miles from me) who I was. He just laughed at that point. :p Cooper knows he's in an extremely safe seat. Little silver spoon prick. (His daddy used to be governor).

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Jmdrake, I feel that I must stand up for the underrepresented here, and point out that many small woodland creatures, squirrels, mice, and the like, are friendly and welcome members of the ecosystem. They live out their lives mostly without harming anyone, and when they become "pests" it is only out of ignorance, not any malintent or arrogance. They are only looking for a warm place to sleep or something to eat. In that context, I consider your attack on them unfounded, and ask that you retract your slur as soon as possible.

:p

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Jmdrake, I feel that I must stand up for the underrepresented here, and point out that many small woodland creatures, squirrels, mice, and the like, are friendly and welcome members of the ecosystem. They live out their lives mostly without harming anyone, and when they become "pests" it is only out of ignorance, not any malintent or arrogance. They are only looking for a warm place to sleep or something to eat. In that context, I consider your attack on them unfounded, and ask that you retract your slur as soon as possible.

:p

Good one! :D

amy31416
09-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey JMDrake, keep at it. I thought for sure that my congresswoman would never co-sponsor it and we pressured the hell out of her--she's now a co-sponsor.

bunklocoempire
09-17-2009, 06:31 PM
No one in Congress takes their responsibilities to oversee the actions of federal agencies more seriously than I do.

Oh really?

The Fed's independent Inspector General, the Special Inspector General for the TARP, the TARP Congressional Oversight Board, and the Fed itself will publish reams of audits and reports on the TARP and Fed activities between now and the end of next year.

Of course they will, just like I get to audit myself...:rolleyes:

You may want to clue him in to how common audits are done and why -I'm sure Cooper knows this already. I highly doubt audits in Coopers state are allowed to be run like he suggests. (My wifeys an audit gal)

TARP: something you throw on a piece of junk when you don't want to fix or look at it.

Bunkloco

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
He's dancing as this is not true. Ron Paul's audit is calling for much more than what they give to the GAO.

This proves we need a full audit, right down to the cost of the cheese they use for the mouse traps in the office.

YouTube - Alan Grayson (High Quality Version): Is Anyone Minding the Store at the Federal Reserve? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqM2tFOxLQ)

I'll send him this youtube. I'm not expecting that it will do any good, but it can't hurt.

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey JMDrake, keep at it. I thought for sure that my congresswoman would never co-sponsor it and we pressured the hell out of her--she's now a co-sponsor.

Thank you for your perseverance! We'll keep trying. Also I wish I could just get my two republican senators to sign on. They sometimes seem more wedded to big government than the dems. :(

amy31416
09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Thank you for your perseverance! We'll keep trying. Also I wish I could just get my two republican senators to sign on. They sometimes seem more wedded to big government than the dems. :(

I got very similar responses to the one you received. Just keep up the pressure, think outside the box--do whatever it takes.

I think I sent her 5 emails, called 4 times and every one was civil until the last email I sent where she said "this is a very important issue" and I sorta went off on her, saying something along the lines of "If it were not an important issue, do you think I'd be writing you? Do you think it's a great idea to write condescending emails to those you represent? etc. etc."

I took the very polite route for quite a while, then I just couldn't handle the condescension, I gave it right back.

Good luck, and keep it up.

lx43
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Keep contacting this turd, he'll support it eventually.

pinkmandy
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Should it really matter what he thinks? Isn't he supposed to represent the views of the people who elect him?

These form letters piss me off when they start explaining how they respect your views but they don't agree thus will not be supporting that view with their vote that is *supposed* to represent your views....

pinkmandy
09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I got very similar responses to the one you received. Just keep up the pressure, think outside the box--do whatever it takes.

I think I sent her 5 emails, called 4 times and every one was civil until the last email I sent where she said "this is a very important issue" and I sorta went off on her, saying something along the lines of "If it were not an important issue, do you think I'd be writing you? Do you think it's a great idea to write condescending emails to those you represent? etc. etc."

I took the very polite route for quite a while, then I just couldn't handle the condescension, I gave it right back.

Good luck, and keep it up.

Same here. I'm pretty sure the Virginia fusion centers have my number. I reached my breaking point w/politeness during the big banking bailout last fall. :mad: I was half expecting the MIB to show up on my doorstep.

Matt Collins
09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Well write them another letter reminding them you will not be voting for them next election.Yeah, unfortunately that has no effect.

Cooper is safe, at least until the Republican legislature in TN redraws the district after the census.

YumYum
09-17-2009, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=jmdrake;2321547][i]Dear Mr. Drake:

: "I have heard from many constituents about this particular bill, and agree with the principles of transparency and openness. I have long supported measures that increase the government's transparency, and share your concerns with how funds are being distributed."

We want know who controls the Fed. If the truth ever comes out as to who actually owns and controls the Fed, I believe there will be anarchy in this country. Beck will start crying and his listeners will start shooting. I am greatful that everybody here is for peace and love.:p

thasre
09-17-2009, 10:30 PM
blah blah blah means he ain't voting for it...

Ah, you gotta give him at least a little credit for responding civilly, and not saying something like "OMGZ you oppose the FED you must be RACIST" or something

LittleLightShining
09-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Don't give up. Remind your Senators that every Republican Congressman voted or it in the House.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=17250

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=17616 (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=17616)

The above links are a record of what we did to get our Rep on board. I don't know what committees Cooper is on, but that would be good to know. Also, I think a key question to ask is not if he will cosponsor but why not. Then you can go from there.

rrcamp
09-18-2009, 03:29 AM
I feel your pain. So far I've gotten the same form-letter reply from one Senator and no reply at all from that scumbag Specter.