PDA

View Full Version : Peter Schiff Announces Senate Campaign on Morning Joe!

ClayTrainor
09-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Just thought this deserved a thread in our most active section of the forum :)

YouTube - Peter Schiff Announces Candidacy for Senate Against Dodd!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evplaWAqLL0)

cbc58
09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Is he going to be a full-time Senator and give up his Euro-Pac business and new investment fund?

Arklatex
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
He has my support.

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-17-2009, 08:45 AM
i didn't even know the morning joe existed until i tuned in to see him

MRoCkEd
09-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Amazing.
Peter Schiff is awesome!

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Is he going to be a full-time Senator and give up his Euro-Pac business and new investment fund?

Even the appearance of impropriety . . .

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Amazing.
Peter Schiff is awesome!

He did a terrific job. It was like they were just waiting for him to announce, and suddenly a half a dozen new people popped up on the screen to, er, question him intensely shall we say.

Most of it was fair, except perhaps the "but, but, FEC!" bit, and the local media bit. You could see the switch go off for these people, however. The environment has changed drastically since RP dealt with it, but I think we can expect much harsher treatment from the media for active candidates.

I think there may generally be a skepticism regarding grassroots, somewhat populist candidates who have not been in the political arena. You could see them begin to use some of the same brushes they used on RP. The dem's "large following" statement hinted at a possible future attempt to demonize Schiff supporters, as they did with RP.

It's good to see that PS is so good on his feet.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Just thought this deserved a thread in our most active section of the forum :)

YouTube - Peter Schiff Announces Candidacy for Senate Against Dodd!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evplaWAqLL0)

3:17

"We need to have a sound economy before we can AFFORD THE LUXURY of troops around the world."

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 09:06 AM

"We need to have a sound economy before we can AFFORD THE LUXURY of troops around the world."

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into that. I think he opposes interventionism on principle as well. It was just his way of saying "we can't afford it, because we're broke".

He'll need to add an issues page to his senate site.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into that. I think he opposes interventionism on principle as well. It was just his way of saying "we can't afford it, because we're broke".

Words matter.

If we have learned NOTHING ELSE, not one other thing, we have learned that it is foolish and irresponsible and dangerous to give the benefit of the doubt to aspiring politicians.

MRoCkEd
09-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Right. He very much opposed the War in Iraq from the beginning, not just for economic reasons but because it was an unwinnable war that would lose us lives and stick us in a quagmire.

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Words matter.

And anyone who is still giving the benefit of the doubt to aspiring politicians hasn't learned a goddamned thing.

We'll find out one way or another, when he puts an issues page up. He's called himself a constiutionalist before, I believe, and opposed troop intervention on those grounds.

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Right. He very much opposed the War in Iraq from the beginning, not just for economic reasons but because it was an unwinnable war that would lose us lives and stick us in a quagmire.

Exactly.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Got himself tripped up on whether or not government should be in healthcare, too. Government shouldn't be in healthcare, government makes everything worse, blah blah. What about cases like Alabama with only one insurance carrier? In cases like that, yeah, government SHOULD get involved . . .

[I realize these are not exact quotes. Kindly endeavor to focus on the POINT instead of the minutia.]

Shouldn't the SEC have done more? It's the FED, the FED should have done LESS. But c'mon, ALSO the SEC . . . Well, blah blah.

White Collar Assholes are breaking laws right, left and center. We have ANTI-TRUST laws, and for good reason. The right working of a free market is predicated on an absence of philanthropists and an ABSENCE OF THIEVES.

If he doesn't bang the PROSECUTION OF WHITE COLLAR CRIMINALS INCLUDING THOSE IN PUBLIC OFFICE drum loudly and clearly and sustainedly, he is full of shit.

MRoCkEd
09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Got himself tripped up on whether or not government should be in healthcare, too. Government shouldn't be in healthcare, government makes everything worse, blah blah. What about cases like Alabama with only one insurance carrier? In cases like that, yeah, government SHOULD get involved . . .

He thinks people should be able to purchase insurance outside of state lines which is a legitimate use of the commerce clause.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:20 AM
We'll find out one way or another, when he puts an issues page up. He's called himself a constiutionalist before, I believe, and opposed troop intervention on those grounds.

Fine. Then he is CARELESS. Perhaps born of CONCEIT? Or his "handlers" aren't up to snuff.

People get dogged for an entire campaign over shit like that.

Ron Paul devotees need to cop to their propensity for Cult Of Personality.

cbc58
09-17-2009, 09:22 AM

amen.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
He thinks people should be able to purchase insurance outside of state lines which is a legitimate use of the commerce clause.

I understand that. So do patients . . . healthcare consumers, in Schiffville.

THE POINT IS THE EXISTING MONOPOLY, achievable in that industry ONLY by criminal means. It stands to Reason.

What does Peter Schiff mean to do about WHITE COLLAR CRIME = THE PRINCIPAL AND THE PRINCIPLE CAUSE OF THE CLUSTERFUCK?

gls
09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Fine. Then he is CARELESS. Perhaps born of CONCEIT? Or his "handlers" aren't up to snuff.

People get dogged for an entire campaign over shit like that.

Do you actually have a complaint about his position on the issue or are you just trying to start shit?

max
09-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Much better than talking about "our global empire" like RP used to do. Like it or not, we have to tread carefully in a GOP primary

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Do you actually have a complaint about his position on the issue or are you just trying to start shit?

I have a history of posts -- both count and content -- that suggests you are being SNOTTY AND DEFENSIVE on Peter Schiff's behalf for asking that question that way.

Cult of Personality.

cheapseats
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Much better than talking about "our global empire" like RP used to do. Like it or not, we have to tread carefully in a GOP primary

Which brings me full circle to the ASININITY of supposed free-thinkers running as Republicans, and the HYPOCRISY of people who bemoan the two-party stranglehold nevertheless perpetuating the two-party stranglehold because "it's the only way to win."

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Which brings me full circle to the ASININITY of supposed free-thinkers running as Republicans, and the HYPOCRISY of people who bemoan the two-party stranglehold nevertheless perpetuating the two-party stranglehold because "it's the only way to win."

If you were sincerely opposed to partisan politics, you would not judge a candidate based on their label, but their ideas. Opposition to the state-by-state regulation of insurance companies is absolutely liberty oriented, and so is bringing our troops home. Teasing some sort of belief that military intervetionism is a good thing out of his use of the word "luxury", in contrast to everything else he's said on the subject is absurd. You're fishing for something that's not there, and creating conflict where it need not exist.

gls
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a history of posts -- both count and content -- that suggests you are being SNOTTY AND DEFENSIVE on Peter Schiff's behalf for asking that question that way.

Cult of Personality.

I've never said or done anything on "Peter's Schiff's behalf". Your refusal to answer the question makes your intentions obvious.

ramallamamama
09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Heh, cheapseats is on fire today.

Good to seeya.

Pauls' Revere
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
bump

G-Wohl
09-17-2009, 11:00 AM

You're an idiot and every logical thinker on this board knows it.

How many Republicans and Democrats have won elections?
How many independents have won elections?

Do the math.

[I realize these are not exact quotes. Kindly endeavor to focus on the POINT instead of the minutia.]

Shouldn't the SEC have done more? It's the FED, the FED should have done LESS. But c'mon, ALSO the SEC . . . Well, blah blah.

White Collar Assholes are breaking laws right, left and center. We have ANTI-TRUST laws, and for good reason. The right working of a free market is predicated on an absence of philanthropists and an ABSENCE OF THIEVES.

If he doesn't bang the PROSECUTION OF WHITE COLLAR CRIMINALS INCLUDING THOSE IN PUBLIC OFFICE drum loudly and clearly and sustainedly, he is full of shit.

He didn't trip up on anything. The government should allow individuals to purchase health care across state lines. That's the government GETTING OUT of regulating the health care industry, not government regulation.

There's a good reason for anti-trust laws? What the hell kind of a capitalist are you? The right working of a free market is the separation of government and economy. That means: no anti-trust laws.

So if he doesn't speak obnoxiously about "white-collar crime" like you do, he's full of shit? I'm sure Peter Schiff respects the law just like you do. He's been pretty vigilant about his belief that Bernanke should be in jail, and that Dodd is a criminal.

Are you from Connecticut? Didn't think so - leave Peter Schiff alone. I don't want my potential future senator trampled on because he couldn't help but get so many lunatics and frauds attached to his persona.

jmdrake
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Where on earth do you get your misinformation from?

http://www.gohealthinsurance.com/insurance/states/Alabama

I see 12 on the above website alone.

And that list isn't exhaustive because it doesn't cover Blue Cross of Alabama.

https://www.bcbsal.org/index.cfm

Peter Schiff called for the arrest of Bernanke and Paulson. What else do you want?

s35wf
09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
i think it was a good interview. we NEED more liberty mind folks in congress. people like Paul, Rand Paul, Schiff, Kokesh we Need; whether they have the same mindset on ALL issues or Not!

If this country is Ever gonna get turned around we Need to replace the career politiceans cuz if they've been in office for more than 4-6 years they are PAID for by someone! and i dont mean us taxpaying americans! and yes if shiff's way of getting us out of useless wars is "The Economy Stupid" so be it it will help those that think we need to be there change their minds to get us the f*ck out of there we're broke!

mtj458
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought he played the war part very well. He's running for a party that generally supports the war, so he has to give them a reason that they would understand for withdrawing troops. It may not be completely honest, but its what you have to do to get elected.

Brian4Liberty
09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Most of it was fair, except perhaps the "but, but, FEC!" bit

Actually, that was a softball. It was about the SEC, and it's a point that Cody Willard is constantly making: that the fools at the SEC didn't enforce any of the existing laws (which would have stopped the Credit Default Swaps, among other things). Peter's respsonse was totally correct, but it left out that tidbit that Scarborough was probably expecting to be part of the answer.

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Actually, that was a softball. It was about the SEC, and it's a point that Cody Willard is constantly making: that the fools at the SEC didn't enforce any of the existing laws (which would have stopped the Credit Default Swaps, among other things). Peter's respsonse was totally correct, but it left out that tidbit that Scarborough was probably expecting to be part of the answer.

Yes, lol, SEC, sorry about that.

You make a good point. The only reason I felt it was somewhat unfair was the phraseology -- "Yes, there's the Fed, but don't you think we need to also ..." rather than "Do you think we also ...". But then, that's par for the course these days.

TCE
09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
I pray he was pandering to Neo-Cons with the Tort Reform statement. Constitutionalists are against capping lawsuits.

YumYum
09-17-2009, 01:50 PM

No, he is going to combine them. His business will now be called Euro-SenPacific.:p

NerveShocker
09-18-2009, 01:14 AM
No, he is going to combine them. His business will now be called Euro-SenPacific.:p

Just joined this month eh? Yeah that's all I have to say to you. Ok now for the people who are serious about peace, prosperity, and freedom this is what we've been waiting for. We all have been pushing for him to actually put his neck on the line since he is one of many people we've been able to look at as a leader in this movement. Now he made the sacrifice, and if as many people want to change this country and I think they do he will never regret this move. Let's show him our support, I know I'm with him 110%.

Bman
09-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Words matter.

If we have learned NOTHING ELSE, not one other thing, we have learned that it is foolish and irresponsible and dangerous to give the benefit of the doubt to aspiring politicians.

My gosh. If you think Peter's about dropping bombs you obviously don't understand someone who takes an Austrian economic stance. I think he's saying it's not even a relevant point to debate. It would be like me and my wife arguing over who gets to drive the Mercedes S 500 that we cannot afford to buy. Pointless.