PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson for President Effort Gaining Steam

Elwar
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
With conservative/libertarian Republicans upset with their party and what President Obama is doing, many are looking at 2012 already. Sites like JohnsonforAmerica.com, GaryJohnson2012.com, GaryJohnson2012.blogspot.com and a Facebook page are all up and running in a effort to draft Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson was the Governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. He was elected as a Republican during a time when New Mexico’s party registration was 2-1 Democrat. He ran both his initial campaign and his re-election campaign as 100% positive, never mentioning his opponent once.

For the full eight years of his administration, New Mexico never experienced a tax hike (previously, New Mexico had never gone more than six years without a rise in taxes), and furthermore saw taxes fall by over $120 million annually. He cut the rate of government growth in half, left the New Mexico state government with a budget surplus and 1000 fewer employees (without firing anyone), privatized half of the prisons in the state, fought for a state-wide school voucher system, oversaw the construction of 500 miles of new highway (which were designed, financed, built, and guaranteed by the private sector), shot down campaign finance reform and hate crime legislation in his state, and vetoed 750 bills (more than all the vetoes of the other 49 Governors in the country at that time, combined) with only 2 overrides, earning him the nickname Gary “Veto” Johnson.

Gary Johnson opposes the War on Drugs, opposed the Iraq War from the start, and was the only Republican Governor in 2000 to not endorse George W. Bush for President. In 2008, he was the only Republican Governor to endorse Ron Paul for President. He is also a triathlete, having scaled Mount Everest.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/news.php

yokna7
09-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Sure wish he would come up with a more comprehensive site. The johnsonforamerica site is a good site, but it's a politician site. He's a libertarian, he has nothing to hide, so lets hear more, not just vague political banter.

Gaius1981
09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree, and hope we'll see a Johnson'12 website in a style similar to that of Peter Schiff's. The notion of Johnson/Schiff in 2012 is particularly enticing.

Elwar
09-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Johnson has created no sites...the sites that are up now are Draft Johnson sites.

I'm all ears to any concrete suggestions (and any help from web developers) for garyjohnson2012.com...

Matt Collins
11-10-2009, 06:14 AM
YouTube - Gary Johnson 2012: Meet Gary Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSao9_JiIXc)

tajitj
11-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Gary Johnson's actual website will be at

http://ouramericainitiative.com/

Once it is up and running anyone interested in Gary's positions or ambitions to run for President can turn there.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 07:30 AM
We should be drafting Ron Paul not Johnson. If Johnson gets the nod, I'll probably end up voting for the LP candidate (Unless they do something stupid and nominate someone like Barr, and not the Ruwart/Badnarik/Brownes). I don't see him endorsing abolishing income taxation, ending the IRS, ending Afghanistan and Iraq ASAP, ending the Fed, ending the welfare State completely, neutering the MIC, and understanding the mechanics of Austrian Economics and Laissez-Faire, ending 98% of the Government Departments, among other things.

I'm not going to vote for anyone who merely re-arranges the deck chairs. Oh, my, he's going to lower taxes! Then the next clown who gets elected raises them right back up. Amazing progress! Come on folks, can you not see the lunacy of such exultation?

Ron Paul or bust 2012. RON PAUL 2012!

It seems like you guys are still stuck supporting the re-structuring and alignment of the chairs, and not the dry-docking and total mock up of the ship.

jmdrake
11-10-2009, 07:33 AM
He's catching on I'm telling ya! :D

Ok, couldn't resist. If RP decides not to run I'll line up 100% behind Gary Johnson. But the key to a liberty victory in 2012 is making some big wins in 2010. Rand takes KY, we take the whitehouse.

jmdrake
11-10-2009, 07:35 AM
We should be drafting Ron Paul not Johnson. If Johnson gets the nod, I'll probably end up voting for the LP candidate (Unless they do something stupid and nominate someone like Barr, and not the Ruwart/Badnarik/Brownes). I don't see him endorsing abolishing income taxation, ending the IRS, ending Afghanistan and Iraq ASAP, ending the Fed, ending the welfare State completely, neutering the MIC, and understanding the mechanics of Austrian Economics and Laissez-Faire, ending 98% of the Government Departments, among other things.

I'm not going to vote for anyone who merely re-arranges the deck chairs. Oh, my, he's going to lower taxes! Then the next clown who gets elected raises them right back up. Amazing progress! Come on folks, can you not see the lunacy of such exultation?

Ron Paul or bust 2012. RON PAUL 2012!

It seems like you guys are still stuck supporting the re-structuring and alignment of the chairs, and not the dry-docking and total mock up of the ship.

I doubt he would have endorsed Ron Paul if he didn't at least support pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Give him a chance to announce a platform. So far he hasn't even announced a run.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I doubt he would have endorsed Ron Paul if he didn't at least support pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Give him a chance to announce a platform. So far he hasn't even announced a run.

New Mexico has an income tax, correct? He was Governor, correct? Did he try and do anything to repel New Mexico's income tax? What about using Nullification and Interposition? No? Did he talk about or try to reform the law so it follows the NAP, and not a subjective morality based code? Did he cut any state departments?

I'm not interested in moderation. 1776 was radical. 2012 must be radical. Ron Paul or bust.

eok321
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
If Johnson gets the nod, I'll probably end up voting for the LP candidate (Unless they do something stupid and nominate someone like Barr, and not the Ruwart/Badnarik/Brownes). I don't see him endorsing abolishing income taxation, ending the IRS, ending Afghanistan and Iraq ASAP, ending the Fed, ending the welfare State completely, neutering the MIC, and understanding the mechanics of Austrian Economics and Laissez-Faire, ending 98% of the Government Departments, among other things.

I also would like to see ron run and win but if Ron feels he's not up to campaigning 24/7 around the early primary states then i think Gary Johnson is a pretty good back up.

From listening to him he seems to be pretty close on the important positions to RP.

http://reason.com/blog/2008/01/21/gary-johnson-for-ron-paul

I am endorsing Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for President because of his commitment to less government, greater liberty, and lasting prosperity for America. We are at a point in this country where we need to reduce our dependency on government and regain control of our future. To this end, Ron Paul will bring back troops, end the War in Iraq, and will strengthen the U.S. dollar and the economy. For these reasons and more, Ron Paul has my support, respect, and vote.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I also would like to see ron run and win but if Ron feels he's not up to campaigning 24/7 around the early primary states then i think Gary Johnson is a pretty good back up.

From listening to him he seems to be pretty close on the important positions to RP.

http://reason.com/blog/2008/01/21/gary-johnson-for-ron-paul

I am endorsing Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for President because of his commitment to less government, greater liberty, and lasting prosperity for America. We are at a point in this country where we need to reduce our dependency on government and regain control of our future. To this end, Ron Paul will bring back troops, end the War in Iraq, and will strengthen the U.S. dollar and the economy. For these reasons and more, Ron Paul has my support, respect, and vote.

Everyone would like to see Ron run, but yet there are no grassroots campaigns to do so....yet, here I see Johnson fellated. On that point, perhaps I shall take up the banner for Ron Paul 2012 and get something started. Let it be said that we did nothing. We should be campaigning for Ron Paul for 2012, if he declines, then we should vet Johnson more. If he doesn't hold up to the Ron Paul ideals, then I'll search elsewhere, but if we want reformation, if we want a revolution, in 2012 it will only happen with Ron Paul.

As an aside. I know I'm probably one of the more vocal and radical members of the board, but these times call for radical changes....Really though, how is returning to Jefferson's Presidency a radical change....

constituent
11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

So how many of these would he have to meet before you greet him with anything short of scorn?

I'm not asking this provoke or antagonize you, just wanting to know.

Thanks.

Elwar
11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
New Mexico has an income tax, correct? He was Governor, correct? Did he try and do anything to repel New Mexico's income tax? What about using Nullification and Interposition? No? Did he talk about or try to reform the law so it follows the NAP, and not a subjective morality based code? Did he cut any state departments?

I'm not interested in moderation. 1776 was radical. 2012 must be radical. Ron Paul or bust.

Johnson cut taxes 14 times in a state dominated 2 to 1 by Democrats. He cut 1000 government jobs. He privatized the prisons, he worked to end the Department of Education but the best he could get was a voucher program put in place.

He used his veto power as his major tool. If the Democrats brought him something that had a possible tax raise for anyone or even if it was called a fee he would veto it. If it was a spending item over budget he would veto it.

“I am endorsing Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for president because of his commitment to less government, greater liberty, and lasting prosperity for America. We are at a point in this country where we need to reduce our dependency on government and regain control of our future. To this end, Ron Paul will bring back troops, end the War in Iraq, and will strengthen the U.S. dollar and the economy. For these reasons and more, Ron Paul has my support, respect, and vote.” -Gary Johnson

constituent
11-10-2009, 08:16 AM
1) We should be campaigning for Ron Paul for 2012, 2) if he declines, then we should vet Johnson more. If he doesn't hold up to the Ron Paul ideals, then I'll search elsewhere, but if we want reformation, if we want a revolution, in 2012 it will only happen with Ron Paul.

1) Why does it have to be about one or the other?

2) Why wait? Do you believe time is really on "our" side?

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 08:27 AM
So how many of these would he have to meet before you greet him with anything short of scorn?

I'm not asking this provoke or antagonize you, just wanting to know.

Thanks.

I'm meeting with scorn because he is a more moderate politician that uses the same talking points as Ron Paul and is competing directly with him. I'm also not convinced that he can carry the mantle that Ron Paul does. Ron Paul unites An-Caps because he speaks our language. Gary Johnson does not. Gary Johnson is your de-facto Ronald Reaganite. I want Thomas Jefferson, Howard Buffet, Murray Rothbard radicalism. Ron Paul meets that criterium. So far, I don't see the same from Johnson except the same old "lower taxes". I want NO TAXES!

Endgame
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Ron Paul unites An-Caps because he speaks our language.

Oh, big selling point. :rolleyes:

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh, big selling point. :rolleyes:

Indeed. :D Oh and you know been apart of Mises Institute for 20+ years....that helps. Oh, and was a close friend with Murray Rothbard....

constituent
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I want NO TAXES!

...and how's that been workin' out for ya?

low preference guy
11-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm not interested in moderation. 1776 was radical. 2012 must be radical.

Johnson vetoed more bills more than all the other Governors combined. Not radical enough? Johnson did everything that was possible to advance libertarianism in a NOT libertarian state with a statist political class. Maybe you should research him more. His positions are, for all practical purposes, identical to Ron Paul's.

Johnson will make a great president. Said that, I still think Ron Paul should run. If both run, that will be OK too. If Ron is more popular -and I think he will be-, then Johnson can drop out, endorse Ron Paul, and become his VP later.

eok321
11-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Johnson vetoed more bills more than all the other Governors combined. Not radical enough? Johnson did everything that was possible to advance libertarianism in a NOT libertarian state with a statist political class. Maybe you should research him more. His positions are, for all practical purposes, identical to Ron Paul's.

Johnson will make a great president. Said that, I still think Ron Paul should run. If both run, that will be OK too. If Ron is more popular -and I think he will be-, then Johnson can drop out, endorse Ron Paul, and become his VP later.

This should be the strategy.I cant see any problems arising from both running other than we double up on the amount of ground covered with the same message.

Its win/win

RevolutionSD
11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
With conservative/libertarian Republicans upset with their party and what President Obama is doing, many are looking at 2012 already. Sites like JohnsonforAmerica.com, GaryJohnson2012.com, GaryJohnson2012.blogspot.com and a Facebook page are all up and running in a effort to draft Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson was the Governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. He was elected as a Republican during a time when New Mexico’s party registration was 2-1 Democrat. He ran both his initial campaign and his re-election campaign as 100% positive, never mentioning his opponent once.

For the full eight years of his administration, New Mexico never experienced a tax hike (previously, New Mexico had never gone more than six years without a rise in taxes), and furthermore saw taxes fall by over $120 million annually. He cut the rate of government growth in half, left the New Mexico state government with a budget surplus and 1000 fewer employees (without firing anyone), privatized half of the prisons in the state, fought for a state-wide school voucher system, oversaw the construction of 500 miles of new highway (which were designed, financed, built, and guaranteed by the private sector), shot down campaign finance reform and hate crime legislation in his state, and vetoed 750 bills (more than all the vetoes of the other 49 Governors in the country at that time, combined) with only 2 overrides, earning him the nickname Gary “Veto” Johnson.

Gary Johnson opposes the War on Drugs, opposed the Iraq War from the start, and was the only Republican Governor in 2000 to not endorse George W. Bush for President. In 2008, he was the only Republican Governor to endorse Ron Paul for President. He is also a triathlete, having scaled Mount Everest.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/news.php

What's his stance on the income tax?

Elwar
11-10-2009, 10:02 AM
What's his stance on the income tax?

From the http://www.garyjohnson2012.com (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php) site:

Does not believe in raising taxes. Just throwing more money at difficult problems does not solve anything

While he was Governor of New Mexico, Gary Johnson, vetoed 750 bills that were sent to him by the Democratic controlled legislature. He vetoed many of the bills because he believed they were fiscally irresponsible. Johnson was able to lower the cost of government in New Mexico and never raised taxes. When discussing balancing the budget and lowering taxes –Actions speak louder than words.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
From the http://www.garyjohnson2012.com (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php) site:

What's Ron Paul's stance on the income tax?

-- Abolish immediately along with the IRS

I'm telling you Johnson is no Austrian.

Aren't you people aware that taxes are like a game? A game in which the chairs are switched around every 4 to 8 years? Our goal should be to abolish taxation, not to piddly wink around the issue so you don't sound "radical" and you have "electability", all in the name of Status Quo. If Johnson understood the horrible consequences of the income tax he would be vehemently against it. Where do you learn the insipidness? Austrian Economics.

So, excuse me if I'm not at all too thrilled about a Reaganite. I want a Rothbardian, and my friend that is what Ron Paul is. By all means though, you can go and support Johnson and get him to run, but I believe it is to the detriment to this country. We need Ron to run in 2012. Even though I believe that we need to control one state first to enact real reform (Nullification/Interposition), Ron is only guy who will return this country to our founding ideals in the Declaration of Independance.

Imagine if Debra won in 2010 and Ron in 2012. What a dream. He would never dare raise any aggression against the citizens of this country. Of course that means he would probably be assassinated, but hell would break loose if that ever happened. We are one group they do not want to piss off.

klamath
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
....and people think there won't be a forum blood bath if both Gary Johnson and RP run through the primaries.

RevolutionSD
11-10-2009, 10:39 AM

So he's FOR the income tax but just not raising it. Not a libertarian. :(

constituent
11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
....and people think there won't be a forum blood bath if both Gary Johnson and RP run through the primaries.

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor235/fullscale/pompom-c.jpg

Get busy, I guess.

constituent
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
So he's FOR the income tax but just not raising it.

I don't see where he said that. Can you point me to the specific statement he made that you've drawn this conclusion from?

Jamsie 567
11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Johnson is not a super powerful speaker and how do I say this politely he comes off a bit gay... I am for Ron Paul / Schiff or Paul / Napolitano.

I commend this guy for his hard work and I know we haven't heard the last from Johnson. What it comes down to is we need to elect someone and if we are going to flex our political muscle we need to back our leader. RON PAUL!!

I am for freedom of expression and for civil liberties but I just don't think the guy has a shot.

The thing that intrigues me is...

Do any of us actually think they will allow Ron Paul in the debates again? He shattered the main stream politicians and I do believe votes were tampered with in the primary. I can only hope and pray they do not hold back the will of the people. ~RON PAUL 2012~

Elwar
11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
So he's FOR the income tax but just not raising it. Not a libertarian. :(

He's running to become president and actually win.

This will not be an educational campaign.

klamath
11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor235/fullscale/pompom-c.jpg

Get busy, I guess..

You assume I am for it. The direction of this thread is what I was warning about. Both sides are digging in and tearing apart the opposition even though the two candidates are very close. Time for flak jackets and kevlar helmets.

Elwar
11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Both sides are digging in and tearing apart the opposition even though the two candidates are very close.

Please show where both sides are tearing apart the opposition.

Matt Collins
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I completely agree. I would like to see what comes directly out of the man's mouth. I would also like for his record as governor to become a bit more accessible. If I don't like what I see then I won't support him. Until them I will continue to raise his name awareness so that when he does decide to run it'll be that much easier for him.

Elwar
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I completely agree. I would like to see what comes directly out of the man's mouth. I would also like for his record as governor to become a bit more accessible. If I don't like what I see then I won't support him. Until them I will continue to raise his name awareness so that when he does decide to run it'll be that much easier for him.

"We believe in a strong defense both at home and abroad. However, Gary Johnson was opposed to the war in Iraq as Governor of New Mexico and continues to believe that the United States should withdraw our troops from Iraq as soon as effectively possible. The United State should only be involved in just causes and should not engage in military action except when needed to protect its specific interests. The United States should be protected from terrorism and those that attack America should be brought to justice quickly and efficiently."

klamath
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Please show where both sides are tearing apart the opposition.
In this thread so far Johnson is taking the hits. In other threads I have seen remarks about RP's age, the news letters, doesn't speak well, (EDIT) Idol RP worshipers, . Many Johnson supporters will never attack RP as they know him as the father of the movement but others only hold back on these forums because if they open up on RP at this time they will be outgunned. As Johnson loyalists gain in strength they will be emboldened to attack. I can guarantee you that in the ranks of the "RP ran a horrible campaign, I wasted my money camp" real hate is ready to come out.

Meatwasp
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
In this thread so far Johnson is taking the hits. In other threads I have seen remarks about RP's age, the news letters, doesn't speak well, etc. Many Johnson supporters will never attack RP as they know him as the father of the movement but others only hold back on these forums because if they open up on RP at this time they will be outgunned. As Johnson loyalists gain in strength they will be emboldened to attack. I can guarantee you that in the ranks of the "RP ran a horrible campaign, I wasted my money camp" real hate is ready to come out.

I wouldn't worry about a blood bath as if you noticed it is the same people over and over. Like GARY JOHNSON IS BUILDING STEAM. I laughed at that.

Elwar
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Many Johnson supporters will never attack RP as they know him as the father of the movement but others only hold back on these forums because if they open up on RP at this time they will be outgunned. As Johnson loyalists gain in strength they will be emboldened to attack. I can guarantee you that in the ranks of the "RP ran a horrible campaign, I wasted my money camp" real hate is ready to come out.

I agree, there are a lot of sideline RP supporters that were very quick to point out everything wrong once they realized he wasn't going to win the primaries. Even if they're supporting Johnson, they'll also be sideline supporters for him as well. The differences aren't big enough to take someone seriously who adamantly supports one over the other based on the underlying principles.

I do see Johnson as bringing in some people who like the message but for some reason were scared off by some meaningless propaganda used against Paul that kept them away. The biggest advantage there is that I can see the benefit of supporting Johnson even if Ron Paul is running, knowing that I'm helping to gather supporters that Paul hasn't tapped and when the time comes if Johnson steps down, he will have shared the liberty message with them and endorsing Ron Paul will give him those votes.

Badger Paul
11-12-2009, 01:10 AM
The only way Ron Paul runs in 2012 is if no one steps up takes the Freedom mantle. Gary Johnson has show he's thinking about doing so and I believe persons should reserve judgement until we hear more from him. Right now he's taking his first step into the area.

Imperial
11-12-2009, 01:27 AM
I think Gary Johnson has to take a conservative VP in order to wrap up his base. It would have to be someone who had untouchable scruples in their appearance too, for reasons we all know. Rand Paul actually would be good in this regard except for him being a political neophyte in 2012 who would need at least until 2016.