PDA

View Full Version : A Look Back: Daily Kos: The Problem with Libertarians

clb09
09-16-2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/7/131550/7297

Traditional "libertarianism" holds that government is evil and thus must be minimized. Any and all government intrusion is bad. While practical libertarians (as opposed to those who waste their votes on the Libertarian Party) have traditionally aligned themselves with the Republicans, it's clear that the modern GOP has no qualms about trampling on personal liberties. Heck, it's become their raison d' etre.

The problem with this form of libertarianism is that it assumes that only two forces can infringe on liberty -- the government and other individuals.

Epic
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/7/131550/7297

Haha, well, by definition that's true...

There are individuals in the government, and individuals outside the government.

There are no other entities. People either work for the government or don't.

Who are these other forces that can infringe people's liberties?

Quite simply, the dailykos doesn't know what liberty is, so how can they accurately classify which forces can initiate force against people/property?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Haha, well, by definition that's true...

There are individuals in the government, and individuals outside the government.

There are no other entities.

You forget about the EVIL STINKING CORPORATIONS!!!!!! BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. WALMART IS PUTTING LOW PRICES IN OUR GOVERNMENT WATER!

pinkmandy
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Good post. I wonder if Kos reads here and can see the hypocrisy? I just did a search there and pulled this one up How It Looks From The Outside (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/3/22/314991/-How-it-looks-from-the-outside) and the comments alone make me wonder wth happened to them?

democrat has the guts to stand up and say enough is enough. we are done with this war.
The only way to support the troops is to bring them home now.

The more we make it apparant to voters that the republicans are not even remotely interested in ending the war, the sooner things will come to an end. We have to put it in front of people's faces over and over again by making them vote down bills to stop the war. America will see that, and it makes the 2008 elections that much easier.

anyone know what this war is doing to our country and the world?
stop mental matrubation

that will ultimately be the platform Democrats run on in '08 -- not just the presidential nominee but congressional Democrats, too. What Dems are doing in the Congress right now matters, but people have to understand we won't be able to stop the war from the Congress with the numbers we have. This is about the message -- either by ending the war in '09 or (ha, ha) forcing the president to do it before that. Don't count on the latter, but it all guarantees that the Iraq War remains Bush's war and the Republican Party's war.

...if it is to be a message, I'd like a ROBUST one.

I know, I know, baby steps...but families all over the US and the Middle East are paying the cost in more than appropriations.

this bill will not stop bush/cheney and their war machine. only cutting the funds will do that, and the Progressive Caucus knows that - and I am proud of them for being so smart and for trying so hard in the face of so much stupidity in America and in Congress.

A narrative the Dems are finally taking control of.

We're doing what we can to bring the troops home. But the Republicans want them out there getting killed.

This message will filter to every American family with adolescent boys.

I would not want to be a Republican politician at this point.

And I hope the Democrats are finally realizing just how evil and how craven Bush is. They've been in denial about that too long...

You are turning into little cynical Roves

this is nt a game - many are dying.

Would you die for a lie? For a headline" For spin? For an election?

As long as there's a Republican President and Republican rubberstamp congress Americans will still be dying in Iraq.

Talk until it's time to vote, and then vote. It's our system. I want a lot of things.

*sigh*

BuddyRey
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
The DailyCooze can kiss my ass. They're just a bunch of pro-war, pro-PATRIOT Act, foaming-at-the-mouth nationalists now. Principle and ideological consistency have been thrown out the window at that site.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
The DailyCooze can kiss my ass. They're just a bunch of pro-war, pro-PATRIOT Act, foaming-at-the-mouth nationalists now. Principle and ideological consistency have been thrown out the window at that site.

It was never about the ideals. Its about the team. They want their team to be in control. Its not about what the team does, just so long as they win the elections.

BuddyRey
09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
It was never about the ideals. Its about the team. They want their team to be in control. Its not about what the team does, just so long as they win the elections.

I'm just now beginning to realize that, and much to my own chagrin, since I used to be one of them. In fact, I still, to this day, consider myself an ally of independent-minded liberals, yet now they seem to have sacrificed their consciences for power. 8 years spent building alliances and common ground with these folks, and they suddenly become the very enemy they once hated! :(

The Deacon
09-17-2009, 01:43 AM
But [government] sure as heck is effective in checking the power of corporations.

The government is such a threat to those corporations!

Unbelievable that so many believe this crap.