PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Bill to Audit the Fed Now Is Now Veto-Proof

WarDog
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2009/09/ron-pauls-bill-to-audit-fed-now-is-now.html

jmdrake
09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
That's good. Now if they'll just let it get out of committee!

Captain Bryan
09-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Seriously. Needs to happen soon.

KAYA
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Amazing...

anaconda
09-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Wrong. It's not veto proof. When Barry Soetoro vetoes the bill, many Democrats will not vote to override the veto.

Imperial
09-16-2009, 09:15 PM
At least if Obama vetoes the audit bill, it will be his first veto. That will draw lots of eyebrows...

We need to get this thing some support in the Senate. Currently we have 24 cosponsors and a sponsor. My state is covered; is yours?

Liberty Star
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
About time.

What a difference exit of wealth worth trilions of dollars makes on people's thinking.

anaconda
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
At least if Obama vetoes the audit bill, it will be his first veto. That will draw lots of eyebrows...

We need to get this thing some support in the Senate. Currently we have 24 cosponsors and a sponsor. My state is covered; is yours?

My fascist collaborator Senator (Dianne Feinstein) would probably be the last one to ever back S. 604. Barbara Boxer is a mixed bag. Boxer challenged the 2004 Presidential election results, something that no Senator would step up and do in 2000, when gore conceded. So she can be a bit counter-establishment I guess.

anaconda
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Exactly. Ron Paul has more credibility than Obama and makes far more television appearances. RP will be able to put the White House on the defensive. Also, if we spin it correctly, we might be able to get all of the "town-hallers" protesting a veto...

lx43
09-16-2009, 11:20 PM
My Senators are covered.

Sandman33
09-16-2009, 11:31 PM
My fascist collaborator Senator (Dianne Feinstein) would probably be the last one to ever back S. 604. Barbara Boxer is a mixed bag. Boxer challenged the 2004 Presidential election results, something that no Senator would step up and do in 2000, when gore conceded. So she can be a bit counter-establishment I guess.

I LOATHE the politicians in this state. I wrote Boxer and Feinstein about 1207 and received the standard bullshit reply about keeping politics OUT of the monetary policy. As if having Congress control the money like the constitution says so would be a bad thing.

Matt Collins
09-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Here is what will happen.

1207/604 will be attached to a bill that (unconstitutionally) grants more power to the Fed. BO himself has said that if we are going to give the Fed more power, then there should be more transparency.

That ladies and gentlemen is what modern American politics calls a "compromise".

Dr.3D
09-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Here is what will happen.

1207/604 will be attached to a bill that (unconstitutionally) grants more power to the Fed. BO himself has said that if we are going to give the Fed more power, then there should be more transparency.

That ladies and gentlemen is what modern American politics calls a "compromise".

Even if that is how it happens, once the stuff the Federal Reserve does becomes public, it just might kill it anyway.

s35wf
09-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Even if that is how it happens, once the stuff the Federal Reserve does becomes public, it just might kill it anyway.

and if we are successful in ending the fed; with whats happening elsewhere with the imf; they'll just make a new global super fed or whatever...its almost like the octupus arm's are everywhere...what to do?:(

tremendoustie
09-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I LOATHE the politicians in this state. I wrote Boxer and Feinstein about 1207 and received the standard bullshit reply about keeping politics OUT of the monetary policy. As if having Congress control the money like the constitution says so would be a bad thing.

Well, it would be a bad thing, but it would be a heck of a lot better than having a bunch of secretive, unaccountable, corporatists in charge of it, as we have now.

rrcamp
09-17-2009, 02:41 AM
My two senators (PA) are still not on board, so I sent this out this morning:

----------

A few weeks ago Chairman Bernanke was testifying to Congress and was asked by Alan Grayson which foreigners received half a trillion dollars from the Fed. He replied "I don't know".

Currently, you are not a co-sponsor of Sen. Bernie Sanders' S 604 Bill: "The Federal Reserve Sunshine Act of 2009"

The way I see it, your lack of support for this bill is assisting in the cover-up of a transfer of public wealth - $1700 for every man, woman, and child - into the hands of unknown foreigners.

Though most Americans are numb to criminal acts by their elected representatives, I'd still encourage you to reflect on this situation; think about whether or not you want to be a silent partner in the theft of public wealth into private hands.

----------

To me, their non-action is the same as somebody who sees a robbery takes place, but fails to report it to the police.

The Deacon
09-17-2009, 03:18 AM
The senators from PA (my state as well) are going to be a pain in the ass. We will probably need to deluge their email inboxes.

rrcamp
09-18-2009, 03:17 AM
I got a reply from Casey:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts regarding the Federal Reserve System, commonly known as the Federal Reserve. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

The recent financial crisis has led to a high level of involvement on the part of the Federal Reserve in our economy. Since late 2007, the Federal Reserve, along with central banks around the globe, has lowered interest rates and pushed an unprecedented amount of money into the financial markets. In doing so, the Federal Reserve has attempted to stimulate lending activity by banks and other financial institutions in an effort to grow the economy.

Apart from the current crisis, the Federal Reserve plays a pivotal role in managing the long term health of our economy by enacting policies to promote stable inflation, maximize employment and moderate long-term interest rates. In fact, the Federal Reserve's policy decisions affect issues ranging from housing to international trade.

Given the unprecedented steps taken by the Federal Reserve to combat the recession, I understand your concerns. Moreover, I have recently heard from many constituents about the Federal Reserve Sunshine Act of 2009, which would establish a one-time audit of the Federal Reserve by the Comptroller General, who would report the findings to Congress and present legislative recommendations as appropriate. To the extent that such an audit would increase transparency with respect to policies and decisions undertaken to stabilize the economy, I believe it could be beneficial. At the same time, however, I believe the autonomy of the Federal Reserve with respect to establishing and implementing monetary policy should not be compromised. Please be assured, as efforts to increase government transparency come before the Senate, I will weigh this balance carefully.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my web site, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

To which I replied:

Mr. Casey,

You have written or copied the following statement:

> At the same time, however, I believe the autonomy of the Federal Reserve with respect to
> establishing and implementing monetary policy should not be compromised.

Just so I'm clear on this point, it's your belief that the Fed has a
right to send $1,700 for every man, woman, and child in America to
unknown foreigners without ever having to clarify why to Congress or
the American people? You know as well as I do that an audit does
nothing to compromise the autonomy of the Fed. The given argument that
Congress could pressure the Fed to keep interests rates low via
threatening audits is a joke: interest rates have been low enough to
inflate two bubbles in a decade, all without threats of audit from
Congress.

> to promote stable inflation, maximize employment and moderate long-term interest rates.

Yeah, and how's that worked out so far? The dollar has lost 95% of its
value since the creation of the Fed and real unemployment is at 16%.

I really hope you are not as clueless as your reply has suggests; it
will give me at least some comfort knowing that you're a typical,
corrupt politician covering up the misdeeds of a quasi-government
organization. The alternative - that you really believe the talking
points you spill out below - is much more frightening, because it
means the citizens of Pennsylvania have elected a representative
completely incapable of forming an independent thought.

Still nothing from that fool Spector. It's entirely frustrating trying to communicate with an automaton who spews nothing but a form-letter full of talking points.