PDA

View Full Version : Coke CEO Calls Obama a Commie

lx43
09-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes another Tax from our friend's in the govt. As a shareholder of Coca Cola I'm glad to see the chairman speaking out.

http://reason.com/blog/show/136106.html

Things are getting rough out there. President Barack Obama called Kanye West a "jackass" yesterday, the same day that the CEO of Coca-Cola basically called the president a commie:

Coca-Cola Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Muhtar Kent said the idea of a federal tax on soft drinks, under consideration by the U.S. Congress and President Barack Obama, is “outrageous.”

“I have never seen it work where a government tells people what to eat and what to drink,” Kent said today, responding to an audience question at the Rotary Club of Atlanta. “If it worked, the Soviet Union would still be around.”

The Coke CEO was responding to a quote from Obama in the October issue of Men's Health, about the president's openness to anti-obesity soda taxes.

‘‘I actually think it’s an idea that we should be exploring. There’s no doubt that our kids drink way too much soda.”

In fact, this seems to be a bit of a nothing-burger (which has no calories!), since Obama follows up on the quote with this:

"Obviously there is resistance on Capitol Hill to those kinds of sin taxes....Legislators from certain states that produce sugar or corn syrup are sensitive to anything that might reduce demand for those products. And look, people's attitude is that they don't necessarily want Big Brother telling them what to eat or drink, and I understand that."

In his heart of hearts, Obama would clearly love to tax soda. And he may yet get his wish. But for the moment he is worn down, beaten by uppity legislators and people who like fizzy, corn syrupy* drinks. Having the CEO of an all-American/massive multi-national company compare his administration's policies to those of the Soviet Union should be good for another few weeks of presidential despair.

Keep it up, Mr. Kent, and you too might earn the coveted Presidential Jackass Medal.

Via CCF

UPDATE: No namecalling on the floor of the House, though:

[Under section 370 of the House Rules and Manual it has been held that] a member could not:

• call the President a “liar.”
• call the President a “hypocrite.”
• describe the President’s veto of a bill as “cowardly.”
• charge that the President has been “intellectually dishonest.”
• refer to the President as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy.”
• refer to alleged “sexual misconduct on the President’s part.”
* Apologies to readers who get upset about a mention of corn syrup without the mandatory we-must-end-corn-subsidies disclaimer. You are very right, my brothers. We must end corn subsidies. They make no sense and cause an impressive array of negative unintended consequences. Down with corn subsidies!

I will be more vigilant in the future. But just in case: Henceforth, please read every instance of the words "corn syrup" within the reason.com domain as "corn syrup, which should really, really not be subsidized by the federal government." Thanks

Vessol
09-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, because Coca-Cola definitely cares about liberties and justice.

http://www.endevil.com/blacklist.html#Coca-Cola

Flash
09-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, because Coca-Cola definitely cares about liberties and justice.

http://www.endevil.com/blacklist.html#Coca-Cola

Corporate Influence Under a contract signed in 1997, the Colorado Springs school district will receive $8.4 million over ten years to sell a requirement of 70,000 cases of Coke products a year. The company urged school administrators to increase sales of Coke products by allowing better and unlimited access to machines and by allowing students to drink in classrooms. The company said it planned to spread this model throughout America. Will the UK be next?

In November 2000, Coca-Cola settled a class-action lawsuit by paying a record $192.5 million in settlements. The company was charged with racial discrimination, allegedly denying African Americans adequate pay, promotions, and performance evaluations. The lawsuit was filed by four past and current employees, ranging from a security guard to a former executive, on behalf of as many as 2,000 black employees who currently work for or have had salaried positions at Coca-Cola throughout the United States since April 1985. The plaintiffs claimed that Coca-Cola paid its average black employee nearly $27,000 a year less than its average white employee and limited black workers´ chances for promotion. In 2001, while Coca-Cola´s shares fell 23%, CEO Douglas Daft´s pay and bonus increased 17%, and he was given stock options worth up to $45.7 million and restricted stock work $47.9 million.

What is so bad about this? I thought this board was about free markets? If the Coca Cola company doesn't want to give blacks (who may have gotten into their position through AA in the first place) a raise, then should the government interfere with this? No one is forcing blacks to work for Coca Cola.

dannno
09-16-2009, 04:23 PM
CAN THEY STOP SUBSIDIZING HFCS FIRST?!?!?!??!?!?

HOLY JEEEBUS THIS IS RIDIcuLOUS!!!

If they stopped the subsidies on HFCS, the price of soda would go up and the government would have more money for other things like balancing the budget!! Same effect, no tax at the register, less tax payer money being stolen going to giant undeserving corporations!

Why is this so simple yet nobody can see it?

lx43
09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/2009/01/16974/the-wackiest-obama-items-ever/

How can I get Obama's communist hat to appear on this?

Mini-Me
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
What is so bad about this? I thought this board was about free markets? If the Coca Cola company doesn't want to give blacks (who may have gotten into their position through AA) a raise, then should the government interfere with this? No one is forcing blacks to work for Coca Cola.

What about the part about school district (government) contracts though? That's not exactly the free market.

More importantly, there are allegations about Coca-Cola running death squads - yes, you heard me right, death squads - in South America. Run a search on Coca-Cola and death squads and you'll turn up some dirt...

EDIT: Actually, Vessol's link touches on this too.

InterestedParticipant
09-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised he didn't call him the "N"-word... now that would have gotten the public riled up!

It's like we're watching World Wide Federation of Wrestling, or whatever it's called. Everything is Britney type in-the-gutter infotainment.

Mods, can we get a subforum exclusively for propaganda infotainment, so that the rest of us don't have to filter through this garbage? Please Josh, please help us save our own sentience.