PDA

View Full Version : Left is crediting Ron Paulers for DC March

Deborah K
09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Lifted this from another thread. Cred goes to Primbs.

Ron Paul Rallies v. 2009 (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/09/ron-paul-rallies-v2009.html)

But strip away the angry rhetoric and easily-mocked signs to listen to what people are complaining about--and, perhaps more tellingly, what they are not complaining about--and the protesters sound eerily Paulesque. They are complaining about government intrusion: oppressive use of government (czars!), too much intervention in personal lives and markets (death panels!), long-term debt obligations (where will the money come from?!), and the proper role of the federal government (it's all so unconstitutional!)--that is, they fret that Obama is going to destroy America and American values from within.

catdd
09-15-2009, 12:38 PM
"they fret that Obama is going to destroy America"

I'm waiting for the racist charge any moment. But still, I think it's a good thing that we get the credit.

pinkmandy
09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, where will all the money come from?

Why can't they simply discuss these issues instead of turning their answers into personal attacks?

And this would indicate not that the rallies were mostly Paulites (don't we all wish!) but they were neocons.

Granted, a plausible explanation for a general absence of defense or foreign policy critiques is that the national conversation right now is focused squarely on health care coverage, deficits and debt, and domestic policy more generally. It may well be that if I poked a Saturday protester in DC he or she would have had something critical to say about Obama’s foreign and defense policies, too. Still, it's interesting to consider the possibility that the town halls of Summer 2009 are a rekindled version of Ron Paul rallies in 2007 and 2008. And one of the reasons I suspect this is the nature of the fervor itself--its tenor, its intensity, its certainty, and especially its language.

Most Paulites I know, myself included, want out of the middle east and Paul campaigned heavily on that platform. How is not caring about foreign policy "Paulesque"?

The middle east is one of the few things Obama and the neocons seem to agree on. Why would they protest more war? Is he just confused?

pinkmandy
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
You know, he's basically saying that if there is any real patriot movement, if violence does break out, it won't be the mainstream conservative's fault. It will be our fault. He seems be saying that we are allied w/Fox news and are behind all the dissent? He's giving us a lot credit imo even though he is writing as if he's scared of us.

Circumstantial evidence also links protesters to Paulites.Michelle Goldberg notes that FOX News gives Paul allay Andrew Napolitano significant exposure (even if only online). Robert Broadus, who ran for Congress in Maryland's 4th District, is a Ron Paul tea partier who showed up to complain at a Ben Cardin town hall and was soon thereafter invited on Neil Cavuto's show.

Oh no...it's a conspiracy...

:D

Stary Hickory
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
The Ron Paul movement has had a huge impact on the tea parties. There is no denying it, which is a good thing. People cheer and yell when folks say "end the fed". This all the Ron Paul movement.

Also the right is coming around on the wars, they have tossed Bush aside in many cases. This was in large part due to libertarians helping to lead the charge. That is why it is important not to view the GoPers as the enemy but allies in a fight for freedom. If we get some liberty minded Democrats along the way that is great too.

I know there are some decent, law abiding Democrats who simply want social freedom on certain issues and a anti-war platform. These too are allies in the fight for freedom.

Deborah K
09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
They seem to be trying to figure out who the bulk of the protestors were on 9/12. And they seem to be wanting to blame the Paulers for protests against Obama - in general. They're grasping.....but hey.....

Primbs
09-16-2009, 02:00 PM
This is from the daily paul.

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/106891

Ron Paul Gets Credit for the March

An estimated 2 to 3 million people gathered on the Washington mall on Saturday, 9/12 to protest many things. A growing majority of people are very angry and very concerned about both parties in this country. Its true Fox news jumped on the bandwagon after Obama was elected and about one third of those people were there because of the 912 project put together by Glenn Beck but that isn’t what sparked Saturday’s event.

In 2007 a Republican Congressman from Texas named Ron Paul hit the scene. Through the internet his campaign took off and was largely ignored by the media including Fox news and Glenn Beck. When Ron Paul raised the most money from troops over seas than any other candidate republican or democrat and raised the most money in a single day on the internet the media had no choice but to cover him, then they tried to discredit him. Glenn Beck ripped on Ron Paul and made fun of his followers. They said Ron Paul was crazy for predicting the recession.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16500-Lake-County-Independent-Examiner~y2009m9d14-Two-million-man-march-in-Washington

Oyate
09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
The rift has begun. Now that Alex Jones has weighed in (the first major profile to do so with no thanks to our other scholars) it's inevitable.

Ideologically we can no longer reconcile being joined at the hip to the GOP through the CFL and FoxNews through the Judge, but don't fret too much, this is the same battle that started with Dr. Paul running republican as opposed to "3rd party" to begin with. If you look farther back, it's the same argument that split the "small l" from the LPUS: selling out the core ideology.

It will begin with accusations of who's a "real" libertarian (I hope) which will go right up to the top. Dr. Paul, Lew Rockwell, the Judge, Schiff, every single one will have to make a very public decision here. Which side are you on boys?

And then the nation will see us distinctly from our neocon pretenders once again. It will be bitter, it will divide former friends but it HAS to happen and it WILL happen. Because what we have here is an IRRECONCILABLE IDEOLOGICAL CONFLICT and it's not just going to go away.

Vessol
09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
But..but..according to Glenn Beck, Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists.

YouTube - Glenn Beck - Ron Paul - Terrorism? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8M2JBIoqo)

Deborah K
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
But..but..according to Glenn Beck, Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists.

YouTube - Glenn Beck - Ron Paul - Terrorism? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg8M2JBIoqo)

But...but...Ron Paul supporters are Angels and never threatened Glenn Beck's life....

YouTube - Pt 6 RON PAUL on Glenn Beck Show for a FULL HOUR Dec 18, '07 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13gK7EGWzg&feature=related)

justinc.1089
09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah Beck had Paul on for a full hour hit-piece if you ask me, because he spent at least ten minutes if I remember correctly implying Paul is a leader-figure of the 9/11 Truth movement to viewers watching. And of course that accusation, while false, certainly lost Paul votes. At the very least it implied to viewers that only crazy people support Paul.

I know I was thrilled when I heard Paul was going to be on Beck's show for an hour, but then I was disgusted with the way it turned out thanks to Beck's stupid 9/11 Truth questions. I loved Paul's response though, that he found it bizarre that he was being asked those questions.

Vessol
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah Beck had Paul on for a full hour hit-piece if you ask me, because he spent at least ten minutes if I remember correctly implying Paul is a leader-figure of the 9/11 Truth movement to viewers watching. And of course that accusation, while false, certainly lost Paul votes. At the very least it implied to viewers that only crazy people support Paul.

I know I was thrilled when I heard Paul was going to be on Beck's show for an hour, but then I was disgusted with the way it turned out thanks to Beck's stupid 9/11 Truth questions. I loved Paul's response though, that he found it bizarre that he was being asked those questions.

omg, but glenn beck is the leader of our movement

he is our VOICE!

Deborah K
09-16-2009, 06:01 PM

If anything, Beck's questions about RP and 9/11 helped clear things up for people - NOT discourage them from voting for him. His response was perfect. I disagree with you. I thought the interview was fair. Except for when Beck said if Dr. Paul was girl he'd french kiss him......ugghhhh....tasteless attempt at humor!http://i27.tinypic.com/2zox9p4.jpg

Deborah K
09-16-2009, 06:02 PM
omg, but glenn beck is the leader of our movement

he is our VOICE!

Seriously. You need to be spanked.