PDA

View Full Version : Running for Congress

Elwar
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Ok...so let's say Ron Paul support takes off all across the country and he looks good for winning the primary...that's a lot of support for the idea of liberty.

Most Libertarians I've seen run for president say this about how they would get anything done as a Libertarian president while the Congress is controlled by Reps or Dems. They say, well...if I'm elected then that would mean that there's been a groundswell of support for my ideas and they'll most likely also elect free thinking individuals to Congress as well.

My question is...do we have Congressional candidates preparing to ride Ron Paul's coattails and win with him so that they can support his presidency? I ran as the LP candidate for the House a few years back but I've since moved and haven't checked up on the residency requirements here for how long you have to be here before you can run for office. But perhaps that's something some of us Ron Paul supporters should start considering.

Would you be willing to throw your hat in the ring?

fsk
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I think this is important. We should find other people with similar views to run for the House or Senate and support them.

I think that, instead of running as a 3rd party, it would be better to run either as a democrat or republican. For example, if you're in a district that usually goes democratic, it shouldn't be too hard to get the republican nomination. Even better, try to find someone to run as a democrat and someone else to run as a republican!

USPatriot36
06-09-2007, 05:02 AM
As far as party selection, I think the first issue is that since Ron Paul is running as a republican, his supporters will only be able to vote in the Republican party so in most states it would be unproductive to run as a Democrat.

Instead of running for office, if you have a current congressman with strong liberty ideals or an existing candidate of either party you might try to put some pressure on them to endorse Ron Paul. This probably needs to wait until Ron Paul has a lot more poplular support and the politicians can start to see the writing on the wall.

Put no faith in politicians though, only Statesmen like Ron Paul deserve your active support

Syren123
07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
My question is...do we have Congressional candidates preparing to ride Ron Paul's coattails and win with him so that they can support his presidency? I ran as the LP candidate for the House a few years back but I've since moved and haven't checked up on the residency requirements here for how long you have to be here before you can run for office. But perhaps that's something some of us Ron Paul supporters should start considering.

Would you be willing to throw your hat in the ring?

Absolutely. Have been considering that very thing.

torchbearer
07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
We have a thread dedicated to people running for congress as Ron Paul-like candidates. we need your support! :)
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=7993