PDA

View Full Version : Are most liberals from families of immigrants to the United States?

Patriot123
09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Serious question - not trying to be offensive at all, here. The title of the topic sounds a little racist, I know - and I apologize. Can't think of a better way to phrase it.

Now here's my theory for why liberalism is so big in this country, compared to way back when. Conservatives are probably conservative because, well... they're probably (my guess?) "pure American," for lack of a better word, and by that I mean their ancestors were living in the US at the time of its inception and Revolutionary War. Thus, stories were passed down through their families, principles and beliefs were passed on, and thus pure-American families are probably more likely to be and probably are conservative because of that.
Now liberals are probably (again, possibly? If my theory is correct?) immigrants. Now there's nothing wrong with immigrants, and that's not the point of this topic whatsoever. But my thinking here is that immigrants brought different ideas with them. They didn't go through the same things "pure-Americans" went through and thus probably didn't believe the same things they did. They brought different ideas from their own countries. And because most countries were monarchies, dictatorships or what have you, they brought ideas that were just different from the ideas of American Revolutionaries. Simply because they had different lives, different experiences, etcetera.

So here's my question. Is there any data to back this up? That most people who identify themselves as liberal are not "pure-American" -- for lack of a better term? Are most conservatives descendent's of American Revolutionaries?

pcosmar
09-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Nope, I doubt it.
Most of my family is immigrant. In fact most of Americans are from is immigrant families.

The only "Pure" Americans are Native Americans. I have just a little in me.

tremendoustie
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Nope, I doubt it.
Most of my family is immigrant. In fact most of Americans are from is immigrant families.

Agreed.

Elwar
09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
My grandfather came here from Poland, fleeing WWII. My dad was raised by him and went into business for himself. I think he's a Republican. My mother was raised by parents that had been here for many generations. She's a big Ron Paul supporter. They had 6 kids...we're all over the spectrum, believing things based on how it affects their day to day lives (my family's made up of a lot of Chiropractors so they tend to judge a candidate based on his views on Chiropractic).

We are all individuals. Try not to involve yourself in collectivist thinking.

Cowlesy
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I suppose I could ask at a SAR Meeting but I try to avoid politics. I think all our descendents were immigrants at one time or another. I doubt there is a higher likelihood of being in a pro-liberty position given one's ancestors and what time their boat hit the shore.

Not sure though.

Liberty Star
09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Interesting question and I think there is some truth to assumption behind it, even if we all are ultimately descendants of immigrants coming in at different times. An American conservative is therefore not like a European conserv and would tend to be more "libertarian" relatively.

Answer seems to be yes, more recent immgrants ( african americans, jews, muslims and other minorities tend to vote liberal/Dem vs Republican by 75% to 25% margin roughy). Hispanic vote pattern I'm not certain about, they tend not be as strong Dem constituents. But it's oversimplification though to just consider one aspect.

It can also be argued that are warmer temps in the South more likely to produce "conservs" than colder temps in the North?

Mobility vs localism, exposure to world/travel, education level, income level , religious affiliation, race are some of the key factotrs that can help determine or rather guess probablity of a person being "liberal" or conservative".

Now was Teddy Kennedy an immigrant or local? It's very interesting phenomenon.

Patriot123
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Well is there any data that categorizes conservatives versus liberals? Wealth? Age? Anything?

Justin D
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Serious question - not trying to be offensive at all, here. The title of the topic sounds a little racist, I know - and I apologize. Can't think of a better way to phrase it.

Now here's my theory for why liberalism is so big in this country, compared to way back when. Conservatives are probably conservative because, well... they're probably (my guess?) "pure American," for lack of a better word, and by that I mean their ancestors were living in the US at the time of its inception and Revolutionary War. Thus, stories were passed down through their families, principles and beliefs were passed on, and thus pure-American families are probably more likely to be and probably are conservative because of that.
Now liberals are probably (again, possibly? If my theory is correct?) immigrants. Now there's nothing wrong with immigrants, and that's not the point of this topic whatsoever. But my thinking here is that immigrants brought different ideas with them. They didn't go through the same things "pure-Americans" went through and thus probably didn't believe the same things they did. They brought different ideas from their own countries. And because most countries were monarchies, dictatorships or what have you, they brought ideas that were just different from the ideas of American Revolutionaries. Simply because they had different lives, different experiences, etcetera.

So here's my question. Is there any data to back this up? That most people who identify themselves as liberal are not "pure-American" -- for lack of a better term? Are most conservatives descendent's of American Revolutionaries?

I see what you're saying. My parents have ancestors from eastern, central, and southern Europe. They are liberal. My brother is too. Our family is liberally cultured, except for me (once I learned about Ron Paul). People of British and celtic (Irish) ancestry probably had their ancestors around at the time of the Revolutionary War. Thier culture is probably different because they have a different understanding of thier history as American people.

The problem with thinking about it this way is that you are labeled a "collectivist" if you say this. I guess we shouldn't emphasize this point too much.

Flash
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
My ancestors were in North America probably around late 1600s or early 1700s. I think they came to America in the 1800s or something like that. I'm very Libertarian. Although I would notice it's usually descendents of these Catholic migrants who tend to sway considerably to the Left. And now with the recent increase in Hispanic, Jews, blacks (not immigrants though :P), etc.. in the last few decades, we have become more liberalized since these groups tend to vote for big-government candidates. Which is why educating these people is so important, even though it seems impossible at times.

dannno
09-14-2009, 04:47 PM
A lot of immigrants are so enthralled with the American ideal that they try to live it. The American ideal has changed over time.

Freedom 4 all
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Most Blackfoot/Sioux/Commanches etc are more or less apolitical. I'd say most liberals AND conservaties are from families of immigrants.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
This is an interesting question to me.

My dad is a citizen of Ireland and he's a liberal and catholic. My mom is from Virginia and her family goes all the way back to Jamestown, and we've pretty much stayed in Southside Virginia ever since (I live less then a mile from Jamestown), , and my ancestors on her side (she's into geneology) have all been revolutionaries/classical liberals/libertarian/Confederates/Anti-Federalists and protestant. One of our ancestors was even involved in Bacons' Rebellion, and I live a few miles up the road from Bacon's Castle. So I have to say that I do think that her side of my family has had the greatest affect on my political ideology. Not to say that my dads side isn't into freedom or anything, I just think the transition from one country to another may change your political views if your not careful, because on my dads side I'm a direct decendent on the man who inspired the IRA, and it wasn't until recently that my family would even be allowed into England, so they're no fan of tyranny.

But we should mostly remember that we have had statists ever since our founding and they were not immigrants. It started with Hamilton and the Federalists, and they got their views from their commercial economy.

That's why the anti-federalists under Jefferson favored free trade and liberty. Because it favored their agrarian economy, unlike the protectionist tariffs the Northeast has always tended to favor.

Oh and I should note that my mom's not entirely English. My grandfather is pure Cherokee and he moved from the mountains of Georgia to meet my grandma here in Virginia, but we don't know much about them. My grandfathers family had to have their last name changed (only slightly) in the 20's to hide their ethnicity, because of the Racial Integrity Act of 1924 that was passed in Virginia. He's a hardcore republican/southerner though, and I think most native americans are, because they've been through alot just like everyone else who's been here for so long.

But that's my history pretty much. But I could go all the way back to the end of the Anglo-Saxon Age if you let me :D

literatim
09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Nope, I doubt it.

Sorry, but these "native Americans" did not establish the United States of America.

Most Blackfoot/Sioux/Commanches etc are more or less apolitical. I'd say most liberals AND conservaties are from families of immigrants.

He is talking about descendants of the founders, not so called "native Americans".

amy31416
09-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Sorry, but these "native Americans" did not establish the United States of America.

He is talking about descendants of the founders, not so called "native Americans".

Oh, so he means the descendants of our founders such as Thomas Jefferson:

http://hollyandbrandon.com/brandon2114/Woodson_Family_files/shapeimage_2.jpg

pacelli
09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
My mother was born in Poland under communism, legally acquired US citizenship at age 16, and is a hardcore conservative today. Scared to hell because the US is reminding her of what life was like under communism.

I think the political slant of immigrants & family members of immigrants really depends on individual experience with previous government, amount of time they resided in their country of origin, and initial experiences with the US immigration process.

KenInMontiMN
09-15-2009, 08:40 AM
The native americans are, interestingly enough, good examples of the meaninglessness of the liberal/conservative false dichotomy. They are very liberal/libertarian while at the same time among the nation's staunchest opponents of centralized dictates from afar, and among the strongest supporters of localized self-govt. Just as we do, they understand the value of spinning the false left-right thing ninety degrees to get at the true struggle - centralized authority vs. individualized liberty.

For the moment they still vote strongly Dem, but that can change should the GOP truly become about liberty & limited govt.