PDA

View Full Version : Bill to Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act

MsDoodahs
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
"Rep. Jerrold Nadler will introduce legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act next week."

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/10/DOMA_Repeal_Bill_Coming_Next_Week/

muzzled dogg
09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
privatize marriage

rp08orbust
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
"Rep. Jerrold Nadler will introduce legislation to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act next week."

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/10/DOMA_Repeal_Bill_Coming_Next_Week/

Nice--throw the religious right into a hissy-fit so that they forget about Obamacare and Obama's opponents can be dismissed as homophobes.

Imperial
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I only just figured out last week that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional based on the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the Constitution. It should be a pretty easy case for the SCOTUS to decide....

constituent
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
wow, single-handedly?

go bill.

PatriotOne
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
President Barack Obama supported full repeal of the legislation as a candidate and has reiterated that support in the White House. “I believe it's discriminatory, I think it interferes with states' rights, and we will work with Congress to overturn it,” Obama said of the 1996 law during an Oval Office signing ceremony in June.

I could care less if 2 men or 2 woman want to get married but find it quite hypocritcal how all administrations support states rights when it suits their agenda but disregards them when it doesn't.

Vessol
09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Government should have no control over marriage what-so-ever.

The government does not dictate morals.

Edit: Before someone brings up MURDER. Murder is illegal because it takes away someone elses rights and freedoms, not because it is wrong.

zach
09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I could care less if 2 men or 2 woman want to get married but find it quite hypocritical how all administrations support states rights when it suits their agenda but disregards them when it doesn't.

This.

Standing Like A Rock
09-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I ... find it quite hypocritcal how all administrations support states rights when it suits their agenda but disregards them when it doesn't.

My thinking exactly

SimpleName
09-14-2009, 12:28 AM
wow, single-handedly?

go bill.

LMAO!

A repeal is absolutely necessary, but surely this rep. is looking to replace it by forcing states to adhere to their pro-gay marriage agenda. We lose either way. In fact, we still lose if the states have the right to decide such matters. States shouldn't have authority over marriage either. Even under several State Constitutions (skimmed through so a while back) I haven't been able to find any clause allowing for the mandate of marriages. Alaska does have an amendment, but ehh...screw Alaska.

literatim
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress’s constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a “same sex” marriage license issued in another state.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul207.html