PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich out of the running!

lynnf
09-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Gingrich says no to White House bid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070929/ap_po/gingrich2008

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich will not run for president in 2008 after determining he could not legally explore a bid and remain as head of his tax-exempt political organization, a spokesman said Saturday.

"Newt is not running," spokesman Rick Tyler said. "It is legally impermissible for him to continue on as chairman of American Solutions (for Winning the Future) and to explore a campaign for president."

end of excerpt...

You know, there is something fishy about how this happened -- maybe there were too few takers on the $30 million and he didn't want to get more embarrassed! He would have known about this long ago.

lynn

Tuck
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh so at the very least he tried and then found out he couldn't, I wonder ho w he would have affected the race?

lynnf
09-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh so at the very least he tried and then found out he couldn't, I wonder ho w he would have affected the race?

just another split of the vote -- although some think that he might emerge as
a front runner

lynn

stevedasbach
09-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Interesting that he "discovers" this just as his "Solutions" conferences are kicking off all around the country. Nice burst of extra publicity.

WASH DC
09-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Raising $30M in pedges was always preposterous. Who did he think he was kidding?

ronpaulitician
09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Good. Newt was a serious threat to Paul's campaign.

wgadget
09-29-2007, 06:11 PM
And the thought that this would be illegal never crossed his mind until his American Solutions conference?

Maybe the registration for his conferences was a dud, and he decided it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe he just realized that the $30million thing was totally ridiculous....

dircha
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Gingrich is a neo-conservative all the way. He does not support bringing our troops home from Iraq. And he wants to expand the war to Iran and Syria and Saudia Arabia.

But his NOT being in the race will have an impact. I know many religious conservatives who had been holding out for Gingrich, since Romney, Thompson, and Giuliani don't cut it for religious conservatives.

A lot are now looking at Huckabee as the only candidate who supports their values (national ban on abortion, national ban on gay marriage, national ban on stem cell research).

But Huckabee is not a competitive candidate at this point outside of Iowa.

I think we are going to see a real lack of enthusiasm among religious conservatives for the Republican nominee this year. They will turn out to vote "against" Hillary, more than to vote for their own candidate.

werdd
09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
haha gingrich sucks. what a fat should be wearing braces retarded son of a neo con.