PDA

View Full Version : Greta Van Susteren Interviews James Traficant: 1st Interview Since Release

amy31416
09-13-2009, 08:39 AM
He's certainly a character, and that's certainly a hairpiece, but he's got some interesting things to say.

It sounds like the interview went on a bit longer, I'll try to find part II. Edit: found it, and part 3.

YouTube - Greta Van Susteren James Traficant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im7nUSLY_hk&feature=email)

YouTube - Greta Van Susteren - James Traficant (2 of 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g6a9re563Y)

YouTube - Greta Van Susteren - James Traficant (3 of 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AV4NnojbWI&feature=related)

the count
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Lock him up again, please! What a loser.

s35wf
09-13-2009, 02:31 PM
It was a good interview; however i know nothing about his case or him; i did find however this video on youtube:
YouTube - James Traficant ; Railroaded out of Congress 1 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kNpHapPY68&NR=1)

Kotin
09-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd be interested as to what Ron thinks on the subject..

Cowlesy
09-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd like to know why Ron Paul voted "Present" on the Vote to Expel Traficant from Congress.

Also, the lone No vote was Gary Condit of California (remember that guy?).

Something doesn't seem right about that guy (Traficant).

sluggo
09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Count me as a fan of Traficant. He's got guts.

Cowlesy
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
In 2002, Traficant was indicted on federal corruption charges for taking campaign funds for personal use. Again, he opted to represent himself, insisting that the trial was part of a vendetta against him dating to his 1983 trial. On April 15, he was convicted of 10 felony counts including bribery, racketeering, and tax evasion.

Sounds like he was doing something wrong, but who knows.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd like to know why Ron Paul voted "Present" on the Vote to Expel Traficant from Congress.

Also, the lone No vote was Gary Condit of California (remember that guy?).

Something doesn't seem right about that guy (Traficant).

Here's Ron's speech:

Statement on Expulsion of Congressman Jim Traficant

Mr. Speaker, many of Congressman Traficant’s actions are impossible to defend. Mr. Traficant likely engaged in unethical behavior. I hope all my colleagues would join me in condemning any member who abused his office by requiring staff to pay kick-backs to him and/or do personal work as a condition of employment. I also condemn in the strongest terms possible using one’s office to obtain personal favors from constituents, the people we are sent here to represent. Such behavior should never be tolerated.

However, before expelling a member we must consider more than eccentric behavior and ethical standards. We must first consider whether Mr. Traficant’s received a fair trial and a fair ethics hearing. His constitutional right to a fair trial, and the right to be judged by those who elected him to office, are every bit as important. .....

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=683

sluggo
09-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Traficant claims that he was railroaded. I have no way of knowing for certain whether or not this is the case. If there is such a thing as equal justice, Charlie Rangle will soon find himself doing an eight year stretch in some hardassed prison, rather than a Federal country club.

What I do know, however, is that Traficant is on record as being critical of his own party, going after Janet Reno and the Clintons, speaking out against AIPAC and other entities with dubious loyalties, and was an aggressive opponent of the IRS.

I think the good outweighs that bad in his case. Besides, if they investigated the Congress there'd only be a dozen or so of them to show up on Monday morning. I don't think Traficant did anything that most of them aren't doing. He just didn't kiss the right people's asses.

Cowlesy
09-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Here's Ron's speech:

Mr. Speaker, many of Congressman Traficant’s actions are impossible to defend. Mr. Traficant likely engaged in unethical behavior. I hope all my colleagues would join me in condemning any member who abused his office by requiring staff to pay kick-backs to him and/or do personal work as a condition of employment. I also condemn in the strongest terms possible using one’s office to obtain personal favors from constituents, the people we are sent here to represent. Such behavior should never be tolerated.

However, before expelling a member we must consider more than eccentric behavior and ethical standards. We must first consider whether Mr. Traficant’s received a fair trial and a fair ethics hearing. His constitutional right to a fair trial, and the right to be judged by those who elected him to office, are every bit as important. .....

Wow. I think everyone should read the whole thing at the link. It sounds like the guy was a dirtbag, but was railroaded hard in the courts. They moved his trial for the benefit of the State so that he wasn't tried by a jury of his peers. Then, he wasn't allowed to present all his witnesses, and one of the jurors even said they would have voted against conviction had they heard his testimony.

Sounds pretty messed up. If all that gets out in his hometown where apparently everyone likes him, I doubt we have heard the last of this guy.

STRATIOTES
09-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Speaker-Rep. James Traficant, Jr. (Ohio) addressing the House:

"Mr. Speaker, we are here now in chapter 11.. Members of Congress are official trustees presiding over the greatest reorganization of any Bankrupt entity in world history, the U.S. Government. We are setting forth hopefully, a blueprint for our future. There are some who say it is a coroner's report that will lead to our demise.

It is an established fact that the United States Federal Government has been dissolved by the Emergency Banking Act, March 9, 1933, 48 Stat. 1, Public Law 89-719; declared by President Roosevelt, being bankrupt and insolvent. H.J.R. 192, 73rd Congress m session June 5, 1933 - Joint Resolution To Suspend The Gold Standard and Abrogate The Gold Clause dissolved the Sovereign Authority of the United States and the official capacities of all United States Governmental Offices, Officers, and Departments and is further evidence that the United States Federal Government exists today in name only.

http://www.hjrbonds.com/

BuddyRey
09-13-2009, 06:16 PM
He seems like a really good guy and a total straight-shooter. It's no wonder he had to do a bid.

amy31416
09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Here's Ron's speech:

Good find, I didn't even think to look up whether or not Ron Paul had commented.

I read the full text, and he makes some excellent points. Aren't people like Jane Harman still in office, with barely a dust-up, while he served 7 years. I'm not really trying to defend the guy, I just think it's a very interesting case and he's a pretty interesting character. Plus, I have family in his former district, so it's curious to me.