PDA

View Full Version : Saturday slim jim operations

Givemelibertyor.....
09-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I had to run a few errands today, so I put on my Ron Paul shirt and grabbed my slim jim's and hit the road.

I didn't blanket any areas, I would just stick slim jim's in the doors of 5 or 6 cars before I left. If I saw anyone I'd approach them. My "pickup line" varied, if they were younger people I would say, "Vote for Ron Paul. He wants to end the war and abolish the IRS." If they were older I'd say something like, "He wants to eliminate income taxes and protect our borders."

I only had one negative encounter, but I think they may have been bickering before I got there. Still though, they were looking at the slim jim for a long time afterward. :p

The most shocking thing, however, happened when I went to the big gun shop here in town. There weren't any customers inside. So I approached one of the employees. I handed him the slim jim and gave him my GOA spiel. He was like ,"Hell yeah, that sounds good to me."

I told him that I was just trying to get the word out because he wasn't getting the media coverage some of the others were. Amazingly, this guy had never heard of Ron Paul, and had NO IDEA that he was running for President!:eek The most pro-gun candidate of all, and they hadn't even heard of him!!

All in all, I feel good about my little adventure today. But we've got a lot of ground pounding still to go.

ronpaulyourmom
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
This goes to show you just how low our recogition numbers really are. Even in a state like New Hampshire, 44% of poll respondents list "Don't know" as their opinion of Ron Paul, which is another way of saying they know nothing about the man.

I have yet to get out there and canvass the way you have, but I'm probably going to order some materials in about a week once I get some more cash. Keep it up bro. In the meantime I'm doing the myspace thing and chatting up my friends.

Hope
09-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Yesterday I handed out about thirty liberty cards, and the most popular question I got was "He's running for president of WHAT?"

Which makes me really boggle because why would I be holding a sign saying "Ron Paul for President 2008" if he was just running for president of the local Fish and Game Club or whatever? :eek:

Givemelibertyor.....
09-29-2007, 12:11 PM
This goes to show you just how low our recogition numbers really are. Even in a state like New Hampshire, 44% of poll respondents list "Don't know" as their opinion of Ron Paul, which is another way of saying they know nothing about the man.

I have yet to get out there and canvass the way you have, but I'm probably going to order some materials in about a week once I get some more cash. Keep it up bro. In the meantime I'm doing the myspace thing and chatting up my friends.

Go for it! It's pretty easy to do, and people are generally nicer than you'd expect. That is once they figure out you aren't asking for money. :p

It's fun too. You get kind of a buzz from it.

Givemelibertyor.....
09-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Yesterday I handed out about thirty liberty cards, and the most popular question I got was "He's running for president of WHAT?"

Which makes me really boggle because why would I be holding a sign saying "Ron Paul for President 2008" if he was just running for president of the local Fish and Game Club or whatever? :eek:

The MSM has a power that is frightening. Several people have told me that the only people they have heard about are Hillary and Obama. :(

Hope
09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
The MSM has a power that is frightening. Several people have told me that the only people they have heard about are Hillary and Obama. :(

I blame public apathy. :(

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-29-2007, 01:23 PM
A handful of us in MN handed out slim jims at the fairgrounds gun show this morning. Very encouraging, although there were a small number of neocon naysayers. I'd guess we went through 600 or so.

I'd recommend gun shows to anyone who's interested in spending a few hours to do something truly substantial to get Ron Paul elected. If you don't have a gun show available, door-to-door or outside Home Depot is good too.

It's getting lit out one by one to real, live people that is going to get this thing won.