PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Glenn Beck preaching non-interventionism

MRoCkEd
09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Starts at 3:40

YouTube - Glenn Beck, The 912 Project -09-12-09-D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUxP_br-zI)

I was just watching part of Glenn Beck's 9/12 special.

Patty Anne read a comment from the 9/12 message boards saying how we are attacked out of resentment of our global empire abroad. I was assuming Glenn Beck would call this comment unamerican or something, but he agreed with it!

He prefaced his statement by saying "I'm becoming more libertarian everyday"

Then he talked about how our empire-building began with Teddy Roosevelt and expanded under Woodrow Wilson. He said the progressives want to spread America through global, one-world government while Republicans want to make America great by installing our system around the world.

And then he said both systems are wrong. Instead we should "mind our own business" and spread our values by setting a good example here at home.

I was shocked to hear it.

phill4paul
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
:eek::eek::eek::cool:

brandon
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
wow.

This guy really confuses me

Epic
He's not always that good...

Austin
Yeah, I had to change my underpants.. I was truly shocked by his response to the comment... He may not be completely non-interventionist yet, but it looks like he is becoming at the very least against nation building and occupying countries like Germany, Japan, etc.

Shortly thereafter, he started talking about how people in both parties are the same...

Still don't trust him.. The real test will be in 2012.

Liberty Star
Looks like Obama medicine is working... if this is not just a fake change on his part for show. Question is how long treatment will yield best results, 4 or 8 years?

AuH20
Beck has voiced this opinion for several months. He's not a fan of empire building.

KramerDSP
wow.

This guy really confuses me

I think Glenn Beck confuses himself more than anybody! :D:D:D

Sandra
09-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Proof of Pandering. POP

HOLLYWOOD
09-12-2009, 12:02 PM
NOw BECK is talking about a NEW Whistle Blowers program for all... That has been mentioned by dozens numerous times on this board.

Well, they read the liberty/freedom forums and obviously, steal our ideas.

I would like to see a big rewards whistler blower program on the FEDERAL RESERVE

Austin
09-12-2009, 12:08 PM
A correspondent was in the crowd, asking people what they would like to say to Glenn Beck. I heard:

END THE FED!

:D

JeNNiF00F00
09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
A correspondent was in the crowd, asking people what they would like to say to Glenn Beck. I heard:

END THE FED!

:D

hahaha awesome!

Omphfullas Zamboni
09-12-2009, 12:11 PM
What you will now see from the media...

pacelli
Oh god, he's going to cry again.

max
Still don't trust him.. The real test will be in 2012.

yep.....if he endorses Ron or Schiff...then we'll know that Beck's conversion was sincere.

kahless
09-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Patty Anne read a comment from the 9/12 message boards saying how we are attacked out of resentment of our global empire abroad. I was assuming Glenn Beck would call this comment unamerican or something, but he agreed with it!

Then he talked about how our empire-building began with Teddy Roosevelt and expanded under Woodrow Wilson. He said the progressives want to spread America through global, one-world government while Republicans want to make America great by installing our system around the world.

And then he said both systems are wrong. Instead we should "mind our own business" and spread our values by setting a good example here at home.

Yeah, that first how was great. You could see him coming around to this view for awhile now. It is just hard to believe we are hearing this on the same channel that crucified Ron Paul for saying all the same things Beck said today.

I hope this attitude spreads to the rest of the network. But I am skeptical that Hannity would be sincere in that respect similiar to how Beck was questioning whether Republicans and Democrats that support the protesters are sincere or just paying lip service to it.

Sandra
09-12-2009, 12:12 PM
yep.....if he endorses Ron or Schiff...then we'll know that Beck's conversion was sincere.

He'll endorse Palin.

sunghoko
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm looking for consistency over a long period of time before I fully trust him. I'm not pulling out 2-3 year old youtube videos because I do believe people can do a 180 but right now he's a windsock blowing in a good direction.

Epic
09-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Palin is still his favorite. He thinks she's mavericky and goes against the Republican Party establishment.

pacelli
09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
This is the longest I've ever watched Beck, and I can't believe people take him seriously.

AuH20
09-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Beck's monologue is amazing. I'm impressed. Something is going to happen to him at this rate.

Dionysus
09-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I know there's "debate" about Glenn's allegiances and motivations, so I watched a whole episode on the Tube. Let me say that I was seriously perturbed by the obviously sophisticated mind manipulation program they have going. For instance, there were times when the sidebar text were simply commands about how to think about a situation, which had little to do with the content of his spoken words. Other times when the scrolling text associated meta-meanings to the story he was talking about.

He is masterfully exploiting the latent racism towards Obama with pictures of scary black people speaking ebonics, and he is assuredly a shill for the neo-con Republican party, end of story. He wants people to "revolt" by... watching more Glenn Beck and being mindless peons of the neo-Con big-biz Republicans.

Conclusion: Don't trust him. They're trying HARD to co-opt this movement. You should've seen the completely OVER THE TOP montage about colonial Americans and the Constitution/Revolution.

Glenn Beck is dangerous.

Matthew Zak
09-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I know there's "debate" about Glenn's allegiances and motivations, so I watched a whole episode on the Tube. Let me say that I was seriously perturbed by the obviously sophisticated mind manipulation program they have going. For instance, there were times when the sidebar text were simply commands about how to think about a situation, which had little to do with the content of his spoken words. Other times when the scrolling text associated meta-meanings to the story he was talking about.

He is masterfully exploiting the latent racism towards Obama with pictures of scary black people speaking ebonics, and he is assuredly a shill for the neo-con Republican party, end of story. He wants people to "revolt" by... watching more Glenn Beck and being mindless peons of the neo-Con big-biz Republicans.

Conclusion: Don't trust him. They're trying HARD to co-opt this movement. You should've seen the completely OVER THE TOP montage about colonial Americans and the Constitution/Revolution.

Glenn Beck is dangerous.

Right now he's more dangerous to the establishment than he is to the movement. We need to use him.

FrankRep
09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Lets see if Glenn Beck is still a non-interventionist when the Republicans are back in power.

KAYA
09-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Yes, he has said recently he has learned a lot and scales are being pulled back from his eyes.

Sandra
09-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, he has said recently he has learned a lot and scales are being pulled back from his eyes.

From two weeks ago? He was still in support of the war.

KAYA
09-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Well he is on air saying he supports Rand Paul and has had him on his show both radio and TV.

KAYA
09-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Actually, I first heard him talk about his move toward nonintervention about a month ago.

angelatc
09-12-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm cynical to the end. We can only hope that he's been having lunch with the Judge, I suppose.

The hubby said that Beck has said on the radio all week that he has an announcement today. Anybody know what that is?

MRoCkEd
09-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm cynical to the end. We can only hope that he's been having lunch with the Judge, I suppose.?
Well, he said he had dinner with the Judge a few nights ago. :p

The hubby said that Beck has said on the radio all week that he has an announcement today. Anybody know what that is
It might be his new thing to get 56 congressmen to sign a pledge to "re-found" America by criticizing their own party.

Vessol
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Meh, I still distrust Beck.

PatriotG
09-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I hate to be frank and blunt, but screw him.

He's a flip flopping talking head nothing more.

Son of Detroit
09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Is there anything bad that can come out of this?

Who cares if he isn't being sincere. He's still saying stuff that could convert people. Doesn't matter if he means what he's saying or not.

gb13
09-12-2009, 01:09 PM
He is still suspect. Don't forget who he works for: FOX. Not you. Not us.
I firmly believe that if FOX had "helped" Ron Paul in the way they helped Romney, Huckabee, et al, Ron Paul would have won the GOP nomination, and if that had happened, we would be living under a Ron Paul presidency today. Obama wouldn't have stood a chance against the truth. It's a lot easier to win as a liar, when your only opponent is another liar. If RP was in the general, he would have destroyed any opposition, just by telling the truth and being able to give fatucal evidence to back up his claims. Obama would have been left holding his dick in the rain.

Now our enemies at FOX realize that there is nothing to lose in the short run (i.e., an election) so they're happy to give Ron and his ideas their 15 minutes. It's a fucking charade; don't give them more credit than they deserve.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that I meant they wanted McCain (or the GOP) to win the general. Mark my words: They knew McCain would be a dismal failure. They wanted Obama to win. Then they could spend the next 4 years rallying all the conservative/libertarian/classical liberal voters with the principals of liberty, and then pawn them off to the next neo-con who will pose as a friend of liberty, and an ally of ours. It's the same dog and pony show every 4 years. The fact that so many here are buying into it is frightening.

I know it's nice to think that we have a friend in the old media. Well, I'm sorry, but we don't. Our ideas are too threatening to the power-elite who own the old media. We will most likely never have a friend, because at the end of the day their paychecks all say "NewsCorp", not "Liberty and Justice".

Get this straight:

We must not be too strongly associated with Beck, or any other pundit. We can use him as a mouthpiece for the time being. But, we can not allow him to parade around as the front-man for our cause. That is how we will lose. Again. We need to do to the old media what file-sharing has done to the record companies. That is how we will succeed.

amonasro
09-12-2009, 01:12 PM
He'll convert to neocon again once the GOP is back in power. If he's around for that long. He is a tool.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:15 PM
some of you are honestly IDIOTS. TONES

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I am convinced that controlled opposition is alive and well on this forum..TONES

amonasro
09-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Excuse us for not trusting FOX News. Do you remember how they treated Ron Paul?

akforme
09-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Lets see if Glenn Beck is still a non-interventionist when the Republicans are back in power.

everything changes when you don't "trust" the people in charge.

SelfTaught
09-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Do you remember how they treated Ron Paul?

No, please explain for the millionth time.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:23 PM
How long are you going to hold the grudge? So, you think it's ok to not support those who are being supportive of liberty? What I really think is that you hate republicans more than you love liberty. GET OVER IT ALREADY...we are going to have to work with those who don't see COMPLETELY EYE TO EYE WITH US ...whoever agrees with me 80% is my friend. What is more important...Ron Paul or RON PAUL's PHILOSOPHY...regardless of who kicks it in gear? tones

IPSecure
09-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Beck mentioned that he no longer has politicians on his program, because he does not know what to believe...

akforme
09-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I am convinced that controlled opposition is alive and well on this forum..TONES

Really? Like name calling and making accusations but not delivering any fact?

I'll keep my eye's pealed.

angelatc
09-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Can't argue that point, but some of us saw Glenn Beck say on television that he wanted to french kiss Ron Paul, only to hear Glenn Beck say on the radio that Ron Paul was a dangerous lunatic.

Those two events happened less than 24 hours apart.

Glenn Beck reminds me of my friend's cheating ex-boyfriend. Even if he does change, she'll never believe in him.

Dionysus
09-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Glenn Beck's Greatest Hits
YouTube - Glenn Beck is a Neocon (Not a Libertarian) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6C6E6ayh4U)

emazur
09-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Actually, I first heard him talk about his move toward nonintervention about a month ago.

It goes back earlier to spring '09:
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977659404

On foreign policy Beck is now showing a surprising willingness to criticize the current U.S. interventionist foreign policy in Ron Paul-like terms ("empire"), and to argue the merits of a non-interventionist policy.

"I've always been for a strong military. I've always been for protecting our interests abroad," he told the Miami Herald. "But we have moved into a whole new zone that doesn't make sense. We can't coddle dictators in Egypt and Saudi Arabia and say, 'Hey, do our dirty work for us,' and then expect to be respected around the world. It won't work.

"I think we've got to say to the world, `If you come after us like they did on 9/11, we will pound you into rubble. Otherwise, we're minding our own business.'

"The Founding Fathers wanted us to be [like] Switzerland, a friend to all and an enemy to none, and let everybody do their own thing. I'm becoming more like that in my thinking."

That's good, we just need him to call for a withdrawal from Iraq and Afghan. He never talks about those wars, for or against, on his show

angelatc
09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
That's good, we just need him to call for a withdrawal from Iraq and Afghan. He never talks about those wars, for or against, on his show

Perhaps he knows his audience isn't ready for that yet. Boiling frogs and all.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:43 PM
angelic..you did not tell the rest of the story about Beck saying Ron Paul was a lunatic...at the end of it he said RON PAUL WAS RIGHT..and that was addressing non interventionism. YOU know his point was Ron Paul sounds like a lunatic but take another look. I watched that whole clip. TONES

amonasro
09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
How long are you going to hold the grudge? So, you think it's ok to not support those who are being supportive of liberty? What I really think is that you hate republicans more than you love liberty. GET OVER IT ALREADY...we are going to have to work with those who don't see COMPLETELY EYE TO EYE WITH US ...whoever agrees with me 80% is my friend. What is more important...Ron Paul or RON PAUL's PHILOSOPHY...regardless of who kicks it in gear? tones

My point is that we should be watchful. The problem is Beck pulls an audience using RP's idealogy, then performs a bait & switch when the time is right. How much of a friend will he be then?

Glen gets big money to say what his producers tell him to say. He's a radio personality, an actor. It's not like he goes home and reads The Creature from Jekyll Island, pines about liberty and the Constitution, and writes principled shows about it.

If Glen was told to be a warhawk tomorrow, he would. If his producers decided he was revealing too much about the Central Bank, they'd reign him in. It's not like he ad libs and speaks from the heart. He reads from a teleprompter, just like Obama. They all do.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
amon I disagree with that...you could use the same logic on Judge Napolitano right? Is that what you think? FOX is also his boss...explain that one. tones

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I believe that due to ROn Paul Fox saw a market that was being missed...libertarians. They have given us a voice...and you folks are missing it ..because you hate FOX news...I'd say about half on these forums are the CNN/Huffington Post crowd. Those people are NOT your friends, they are not Ron Paul's friends and they are not friends of Liberty. TONES

angelatc
09-12-2009, 01:51 PM
angelic..you did not tell the rest of the story about Beck saying Ron Paul was a lunatic...at the end of it he said RON PAUL WAS RIGHT..and that was addressing non interventionism. YOU know his point was Ron Paul sounds like a lunatic but take another look. I watched that whole clip. TONES

It was not a TV clip. It was on the radio. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=673228&postcount=1

He broke hearts that day.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
tHere is a youtube of that...it was posted on this forum. TONES

kahless
09-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Too bad something like you said above is not part of the forum mission. Even though my blood boils when I come across content of what they did to RP and the message in the past, there comes a time when you strategically must put it aside.

I believe that due to ROn Paul Fox saw a market that was being missed...libertarians. They have given us a voice...and you folks are missing it ..because you hate FOX news...I'd say about half on these forums are the CNN/Huffington Post crowd. Those people are NOT your friends, they are not Ron Paul's friends and they are not friends of Liberty. TONES

Exactly.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-12-2009, 02:18 PM
If he ever starts seriously advocating for some RON-intervention I might tune in.

Liberty Star
09-12-2009, 02:20 PM
This is impressive. If just 9 months of Obama have made this impressive libertarian change happen, imagine what 4 years of Obama could do to his views and of many other in GOP/neocons- he may withdraw his support for Patriot Act, Bailouts and whole lot of other change. What Bush/Cheney couldn't accomplish in 8 years, Obama has made that possible in less than a year. Way to go.

MRoCkEd
09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
He may withdraw his support for Patriot Act, Bailouts and whole lot of other change.
I know there's a clip of Glenn saying "I fear the bailout may be necessary and not big enough!" This was quite strange, but it was the only time he said something like this. He did have Peter Schiff on right after to convince him that the bailout was terrible.

With regard to the Patriot Act - He supported it initially, but has since lost much of his support for it. On Fox and Friends a few days ago, he sounded like he is now completely against it.

Glenn has his problems, but I think he is serious when he says "I become more libertarian every day."

angelatc
09-12-2009, 02:27 PM
tHere is a youtube of that...it was posted on this forum. TONES

Link please?

s35wf
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Yes they have given us a small voice; but remember for them its all about Ratings/$$$ ; NOT the revolution. However; we must USE Beck and what we can get to further spread the message. do not trust beck; but USE what little publicity we can get. We Must Spread the message of END the WARS the war on terror, the war on drugs, the war for your mind! Peace :)

Liberty Star
09-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Glenn has his problems, but I think he is serious when he says "I become more libertarian every day."

This may have sounded more plausible LOL

Glenn has his problems, but I think he is serious when he says "I become more libertarian every day (under Obama) ."

Only question now is how many years of Obama treatment would transition him to a 100% Libertarian, 4 or 8.

itshappening
09-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Glenn Beck is an entertainer, honestly he changes his mind with the wind.

that is not to say he won't say some good stuff

TheConstitutionLives
09-12-2009, 03:24 PM

And then he'll have Karl Rove on his show Monday to talk bad about Democrats. The man is bi-polar.

Flash
09-12-2009, 03:30 PM
And then he'll have Karl Rove on his show Monday to talk bad about Democrats. The man is bi-polar.

Karl Rove is a pretty smart guy and he understands more than anyone what Obama & the people in power are thinking right now. It's wise to have him on.

BillyDkid
09-12-2009, 03:58 PM
When Glen Beck and ALL of Fox News does a mea culpa - about Ron Paul, about the liberty movement, about both wars, about everything the Bush administration was about - then there may be some reason to suspect they are not scum sucking mud dwellers. Yes, we are being co-opted and some of it is going on right in here. It has nothing to do with holding grudges. It has to do with being lied to.

nobody's_hero
09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Beck is a work in progress. He's a whole head and shoulders above pretty much everyone else (except for folks like Judge Napolitano) on T.V. when it comes to even mentioning the word "libertarian." Unfortunately, the Judge doesn't get his own live T.V. show; it's all on the web (though he deserves T.V. airtime more than Beck, for sure, since he has been pro-liberty through both republican and democratic power changes).

They often let the Judge cover for the Glenn Beck show whenever Glenn is taking time off, so hopefully with a little more encouragement, the Judge can convert Beck enough to satisfy folks here (if that's possible?).

Stary Hickory
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Nothing strange about it, it means he is open minded and looking for real answers. Most of America is in a phase of discovery about all of this. They have been shocked into it. We had a lot of fake and phony years that seemed good, but when you learn the truth it all becomes clear.

Glenn Beck is a good guy, he for sure had Neocon leanings before but he is coming around. He is a real asset to the liberty movement right now, he has done more to promote "our" "this" message than any of us on these boards. I am not saying he is 100% correct a 100% of the time, but I am glad he is on the air.

MRoCkEd
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Found the video:
Starts at 3:40

YouTube - Glenn Beck, The 912 Project -09-12-09-D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUxP_br-zI)

Thrashertm
09-12-2009, 06:38 PM
This is the first time I have heard Beck say these things. Does he disagree with any of RP's platform now?

KAYA
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Well said!;)

constituent
09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
lol.

want to know the key to understanding his angle? listen for his false-choices, they always betray his intentions.

(an example would be "either we legalize marijuana or we get serious and start throwing people in prison, to serve real time.")

Vessol
09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
This is the first time I have heard Beck say these things. Does he disagree with any of RP's platform now?

He doesn't want a new investigation of 9/11. Ron Paul is for a new investigation.

amy31416
09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Glad to see this message getting out there, hope it sticks.

Thrashertm
09-12-2009, 07:09 PM
He doesn't want a new investigation of 9/11. Ron Paul is for a new investigation.

Watch how quickly Glenn changes his mind on that anything can be pinned on Democrats :)

Flash
09-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Glenn Beck just came out again calling himself a Libertarian and saying he is against spreading democracy by force.

Griffith
09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah it was a great moment. He's becoming more and more like Ron Paul has been all along.

muzzled dogg
09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
hey i stole this for a meetup email thanks

paulitics
09-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Good job today Glenn Beck. May your ratings soar (as long as you remain this Glenn Beck, otherwise I hope they plummet lower than Chris Mathews).

Vessol
09-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Good job today Glenn Beck. May your ratings soar (as long as you remain this Glenn Beck, otherwise I hope they plummet lower than Chris Mathews).

He'll be a different Glenn Beck in a few months.

susano
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
OP, I'm so glad that you posted this (I haven't read the thread, yet). I just postsed the following at two other forums:

Okay, this subject comes up a lot, and rightfully so considering how Beck reacted to Ron Paul supporters (implied we were terrorists, or close to it), and his support for the war on terror. It has always been my contention that Beck is sincere and his support for the wars is based upon FEAR. IOW, he drank the foreign intervention Kool-Aid, which is NOT constitutional nor conservative (if you want to call the founders conservative), and is exactly where he found fault with Ron Paul. I've always thought that Beck was NEW to learning the principals that the founders created this country upon, and that he's been on a very steep learning curve. It takes time to become educated. He, obviously, gets it on issues like taxes, out of control gov't, and the communist infiltration in DC. If he continues the direction he's going, expect him to embrace many of the other issues near and dear to the hearts of patriots. It may take a while. Anyway, today, while covering the 9/12 tea parties, and takling with Pat Caddell, he said something nothing short of amazing, and it proves he really is doing his homework. In the video link, I've fixed it so it goes right to the time his comment starts. If I screw up, it's at 6 minutes and 18 seconds. Can't embed using this technique.

YouTube - GLENN BECK Hosting 9-12 Tea Party March 3 of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasR47NTARs#t=6m18s)

P.S Everyone - the way you go straight to the time in a Youtube is to add, at the end, the minute and time. For instance, this is 6 minutes and 18 seconds in, so I added #t=6m18s

http://www.dailyhack.net/2009/04/youtube-hack-link-to-exact.html

Woops, I see this forum won't let me cut straight to the salient part. Anyway, you can use this technique elsewhere.

Chieftain1776
09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow that was great. I really hope he comes around because even if he agrees with us 100% on everything else War and Militarism subordinates the rest of civil society. I'm worried that the neocons will go full throttle on him now. David Frum already hates him and the PC crowd is mostly neocon anyway so it will now be in their interests to turn on him. I wonder how Jonah Goldberg of National Review will react. He's actually defended Beck on a number of occasions. Should be interesting.

I thought he was a net positive before due to his guests and topic choice but I'm now slightly pro-Beck himself. That said the cynical part of me thinks that John Stossel coming over to Fox and being in the "bullpen" at FBN just might have sharpened his eye-sight a bit.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
well..you do realize that those at the top of the GOP are marxist..and fabian socialists also...Glenn Beck makes them writhe...tones

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
the grassroots GOP folks do NOT realize this or understand what a Fabian socialist is...we have to teach them...they are learning from Beck. I wish he would address the Fabians. tones

Cowlesy
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
You can almost see Beck wanting to take the next intellectual step, but he has a great deal to lose by doing so. This is why I do not think he will ever fully embrace non-interventionism.

What I think he weighs in private is the level of support he can get from the pro-intervention crew like Kagan, Kristol, Rove and Palin, versus us, everyday Americans. You have to add the ire he would draw from them, not to mention all the soldiers he has befriended who think they've been answering God's calling to defend freedom. Let's face it, Beck will never admit that the purpose these soldiers fought and died for, was flawed. He just won't do it.

I think Jack Hunter's (the Southern Avenger) post on the Campaign For Liberty site is EXTREMELY telling on the "conservative" reaction. Jack remarked on George Will's article which called for us to withdraw from Afghanistan, and the vitriol it drew from "conservative" circles.

Beck knows he will draw the same vitriol if he were to take Will's position. The neo-conservatives would reach their tentacles out to their followers around the nation pushing them to express how "hurt" they feel by this change in position --- the good old "guilt" play.

Read Jack's post here. (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=215)

A quick excerpt:

Talk radio host Mark Levin blasted Will, stating his explicit support for nation-building in Afghanistan. Columnist Bill Kristol wrote, "Will is urging retreat, and accepting defeat." Also joining the anti-Will chorus were Rich Lowry, Fred Kagan, Peter Wehner, and other neoconservatives.

It's my hope that in time, Beck will either see the reality, or not be afraid to speak about that which he already knows.

tonesforjonesbones
09-12-2009, 09:14 PM
That may be true, I also think he is treading lightly on it..he's taking baby steps , because the media has brainwashed the republican grass roots so deeply, they will have to be weaned off of interventionism..or he might lose them, and he's gaining too much ground to lose it all. tones

Chieftain1776
09-12-2009, 09:24 PM
You can almost see Beck wanting to take the next intellectual step, but he has a great deal to lose by doing so. This is why I do not think he will ever fully embrace non-interventionism.

It's my hope that in time, Beck will either see the reality, or not be afraid to speak about that which he already knows.

The War Drum is beating on Iran (http://original.antiwar.com/daniel-luban-jim-lobe/2009/09/11/iran-war-drums-begin-beating-in-washington/) and it will actually be a test of this. I just hope he either ignores it and sticks to domestic issues if he's not willing to speak up. At the very least he should bring on someone like Scheuer, Bacevich, or, gasp, Pat Buchanan to debate the plethora of neocons on the News Corp payroll/orbit (Weekly Standard, NY Post, Wall Street Journal, etc.)

We'll have to rely on the Left to fight in the mainstream media outlets but if we can get a decent debate on FNC that would be great.

susano
09-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Someone mentioned that Beck is open minded. What a concept! I'm afraid that many people here on this board are not. Taking the attitude that Glenn Beck can't learn and change his opinions is counter productive to our movement. We need people to learn and grow, and if one happens to be at Fox Snooze, so be it. If he's hanging out with the judge, you know he's getting an education. One thing Beck demonstrates is a thirst for knowledge.

Thrashertm
09-12-2009, 09:50 PM
OP, I'm so glad that you posted this (I haven't read the thread, yet). I just postsed the following at two other forums:

Okay, this subject comes up a lot, and rightfully so considering how Beck reacted to Ron Paul supporters (implied we were terrorists, or close to it), and his support for the war on terror. It has always been my contention that Beck is sincere and his support for the wars is based upon FEAR. IOW, he drank the foreign intervention Kool-Aid, which is NOT constitutional nor conservative (if you want to call the founders conservative), and is exactly where he found fault with Ron Paul. I've always thought that Beck was NEW to learning the principals that the founders created this country upon, and that he's been on a very steep learning curve. It takes time to become educated. He, obviously, gets it on issues like taxes, out of control gov't, and the communist infiltration in DC. If he continues the direction he's going, expect him to embrace many of the other issues near and dear to the hearts of patriots. It may take a while. Anyway, today, while covering the 9/12 tea parties, and takling with Pat Caddell, he said something nothing short of amazing, and it proves he really is doing his homework. In the video link, I've fixed it so it goes right to the time his comment starts. If I screw up, it's at 6 minutes and 18 seconds. Can't embed using this technique.

YouTube - GLENN BECK Hosting 9-12 Tea Party March 3 of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasR47NTARs#t=6m18s)

P.S Everyone - the way you go straight to the time in a Youtube is to add, at the end, the minute and time. For instance, this is 6 minutes and 18 seconds in, so I added #t=6m18s

http://www.dailyhack.net/2009/04/youtube-hack-link-to-exact.html

Woops, I see this forum won't let me cut straight to the salient part. Anyway, you can use this technique elsewhere.

You may be right, but I think what we need to really seal the deal is for Glenn Beck to issue a full-throated repudiation of his neocon past.

jmdrake
09-12-2009, 10:25 PM
amon I disagree with that...you could use the same logic on Judge Napolitano right? Is that what you think? FOX is also his boss...explain that one. tones

Did Judge Napolitano support the Patriot Act and the bailout? Hey I'm glad to hear Beck talk about non-interventionism. Maybe he's coming around. Maybe not. We'll see as time goes on. But I was very disturbed to see the clip where he said the 700 billion dollar bailout was "not nearly enough". :(

Athan
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Lol. Someone play "The world turned upside down" or something.

jmdrake
09-12-2009, 10:35 PM
What I think he weighs in private is the level of support he can get from the pro-intervention crew like Kagan, Kristol, Rove and Palin, versus us, everyday Americans. You have to add the ire he would draw from them, not to mention all the soldiers he has befriended who think they've been answering God's calling to defend freedom. Let's face it, Beck will never admit that the purpose these soldiers fought and died for, was flawed. He just won't do it.

Someone should remind Beck who got the most donations from soldiers.

Nothing wrong with hope.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
well..you do realize that those at the top of the GOP are marxist..and fabian socialists also...Glenn Beck makes them writhe...tones

I really doubt that.

HenryKnoxFineBooks
09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Did Judge Napolitano support the Patriot Act and the bailout? Hey I'm glad to hear Beck talk about non-interventionism. Maybe he's coming around. Maybe not. We'll see as time goes on. But I was very disturbed to see the clip where he said the 700 billion dollar bailout was "not nearly enough". :(

No offense, but if you dont know that Judge Napolitano STRONGLY opposed the Patriot Act, or that he daily points out the unconstitutional aspects of the bailouts, the cash for clunkers, and most of the legislation that congress produces, has written three books decrying a government that breaks its own rules....if you dont know these thing, you just arent watching the Judge, and you really should be. He has Ron Paul on his show every week as the first guest for pete's sake...

Anyone who is boycotting FOX is missing out on one of the most vocal advocates of liberty in our media. Just boycott the neocon shows...

RM918
09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
But will he ever mention Ron Paul?

I suppose he'd be kicked out if he did.

jake
09-13-2009, 12:29 AM
But will he ever mention Ron Paul?

I suppose he'd be kicked out if he did.

He mentions Paul on "Brian and the Judge" (Fox News Radio) from time to time.

rajibo
09-13-2009, 03:16 AM
We all know where Glen Beck has been getting his ideas:
http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/wearenotalonemosaic.jpghttp://www.neoperspectives.com/images/ron_paul_mosaic_3.jpg

TastyWheat
09-13-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Remember when he denounced every bailout and had tons of guests saying they were really bad ideas, then he finally says we need TARP to avoid a complete economic meltdown? If Palin runs in 2012 he'll definitely be backing her and that right there proves he's no libertarian.

Also, has Peter Schiff been on Glenn's show at all since he switched to FOX? Peter used to be on like every day when Glenn was on Headline News.

tonesforjonesbones
09-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I do'nt know if Beck will support Palin..he did last time..but I am not getting the feeling she is going to run. tones

catdd
09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
"We all know where Glen Beck has been getting his ideas:"

It's not right to take someone's ideas without giving them credit.

itshappening
09-13-2009, 08:15 AM
yeah Beck has definitely hijacked a lot of ideas from the RP movement but who cares, he was smart enough to understand what was going on and has modified the message and is reaching new people.

I was really surprised he took a shot at Boenher in his special and he keeps saying the Republicans have to change as well.

Bucjason
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
uh-oh !!! I've got something for all you Glen Beck haters that think he is a Neocon:

http://johncarmichaels.typepad.com/carmichaels_position/WindowsLiveWriter/Eat%20Crow.jpg

Sandra
09-13-2009, 08:50 AM
uh-oh !!! I've got something for all you Glen Beck haters that think he is a Neocon:

http://johncarmichaels.typepad.com/carmichaels_position/WindowsLiveWriter/Eat%20Crow.jpg

You're kidding, right? Save it for your dessert.

iddo
09-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Also, has Peter Schiff been on Glenn's show at all since he switched to FOX?

Yes, at least twice.

Liberty Star
09-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Now he wants US to get out of Iraq immediately?

If so, Glenn's flip flop on Iraq withdrawal would be facinating.

iddo
09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
These comments from Glenn Beck about libertarian foreign policy are great! And his comments about the flag were also very good. Especially since he's willing to say it during such a high-profile event, and that he didn't screen the negative comments on-air so that he would just need to respond to some softballs.

Glenn Beck has started to become non-interventionist while the Republicans were in power, all you guys here who claimed that Obama is pushing Beck to oppose the interventionist foreign policy are wrong, it was Ron Paul who pushed him:) But I do think that Obama will push many Republicans in Congress in the coming years, like they opposed Clinton's bombardment of Kosovo.
Here is Glenn Beck from August 2008 about noninterventionist foreign policy:

I think Ron Paul is right on the economy. I think Ron Paul is right on the Fed, he's right on gold. He's right on the size of government. He's also right on foreign affairs, to this extent: we should not be in the situation that we're in. But it wasn't the war in Iraq, it started long before, you can track this last course all the way back to World War I. [...] when you find a libertarian that will say: it has taken us over 200 years to put ourselves in this situation, what I think we need to do is turn the corner. We clearly can't cut all foreign alliances right now, we clearly can't just pull all of our troops back from all around the world. We can't do those things. But what we can do is set course to where America pulls back slowly, America does the right thing, and we bring our troops home and we say we're not the policeman for the world anymore. [...] the number one thing to get us to do that, is to be self-reliant on money, and self-reliant on energy. So that's what I want to hear from a libertarian, I want to hear: this is the 50 year plan. But unfortunately, everybody is looking at 2 years, 6 years, 4 years. And by doing that, you're never gonna get anything accomplished. (link (http://libertymaven.com/2008/08/08/glenn-beck-on-libertarianism-foreign-policy-and-ron-paul-08082008-audio/1386/))

No, he was not "in support of the war", he wants to scale back the nation-building and transform into noninterventionist foreign policy, see the quote above.

A month ago? He has been talking about it for more than a year...

Liberty Star
09-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Glenn Beck has started to become non-interventionist while the Republicans were in power, all you guys here who claimed that Obama is pushing Beck to oppose the interventionist foreign policy are wrong, it was Ron Paul who pushed him:)

Does that mean he has apologized to RP for calling him names?

iddo
09-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Does that mean he has apologized to RP for calling him names?

IIRC there are two issues here, one is that he called RP supporters terrorists because of some incident where they picked a fight with him, and the other is that he said that RP sounds crazy when talking about the founding fathers because it's so remote to most people currently.
Neither of these issues is a big deal, just let it go... It's not like RP is trying to glorify his name and become the American fuhrer, the real issues are about converting people to libertarian principles, not about endlessly discussing someone calling you a bad name in the past... And besides, many other people were/are so much worse than Glenn Beck, so it seems stupid to wait for apology from Beck in particular.
A much more interesting issue is how Glenn Beck would respond to Sarah Palin's aligning herself with Obama and the neocons on Afghanistan: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=209174

Dionysus
09-13-2009, 10:26 AM
It's one thing to play videos of men in tri-cornered hats, quite another to ENDORSE RAND PAUL FOR SENATE! I would expect nothing less from a true believer than to be yelling from his soapbox every night about kentuckyfight.com.

Of course they have to acknowledge and placate us by adopting some of our rhetoric, but actions that matter speak louder than empty platitudes.

Peace&Freedom
09-13-2009, 10:44 AM
IIRC there are two issues here, one is that he called RP supporters terrorists because of some incident where they picked a fight with him, and the other is that he said that RP sounds crazy when talking about the founding fathers because it's so remote to most people currently.
Neither of these issues is a big deal, just let it go... It's not like RP is trying to glorify his name and become the American fuhrer, the real issues are about converting people to libertarian principles, not about endlessly discussing someone calling you a bad name in the past...

If it's just a minor issue, then of course BECK should let it go by apologizing, right? Instead, he continues to play the game of emulating Paul positions in general, but defaulting back to neocon consensus on any specifics. As recently as this week, he was still going out of his way to attack people in the liberty movement who were 'beyond the pale' (using the Van Jones matter to bash truthers).

We all know what Paul will say about an attack on Iran, but will Beck apply his non-intervention rhetoric when a real act of aggression occurs? Or will he use his faux posturing to reel in would be liberty supporters to the hawkish side? Beck is not an interventionist when push comes to shove, he's a gatekeeper trying to steer pro-liberty people back to the GOP by slapping it with a libertarian veneer.

Dionysus
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
If it's just a minor issue, then of course BECK should let it go by apologizing, right? Instead, he continues to play the game of emulating Paul positions in general, but defaulting back to neocon consensus on any specifics. As recently as this week, he was still going out of his way to attack people in the liberty movement who were 'beyond the pale' (using the Van Jones matter to bash truthers).

We all know what Paul will say about an attack on Iran, but will Beck apply his non-intervention rhetoric when a real act of aggression occurs? Or will he use his faux posturing to reel in would be liberty supporters to the hawkish side? Beck is not an interventionist when push comes to shove, he's a gatekeeper trying to steer pro-liberty people back to the GOP by slapping it with a libertarian veneer.

Great post. And until we get evidence to the contrary, end of story.

iddo
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
As recently as this week, he was still going out of his way to attack people in the liberty movement who were 'beyond the pale' (using the Van Jones matter to bash truthers).

Attacking 9/11 truthers is not anything like attacking libertarians. The majority of 9/11 truthers are leftists who hated George W. Bush etc., not libertarians. You really shouldn't say that Glenn Beck is attacking the liberty movement just because he attacked 9/11 truthers.

angelatc
09-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I think that Glenn Beck is easily influenced. I believe that he honestly believes the things that he says when he says them, but there's no guarantee he is going to believe the same thing tomorrow.

I also think that right now he's the only person spreading the message.

It's quite probable that his, and Fox's, motives aren't pure. It's very likely they're courting the Goldwater wing of the party because they simply can't win an election without them.

It's also very probable that we'll be treated like the red-headed step-children in the party, but remember - that in-party scorn didn't stop the religious right from taking over the party for a while. (Of course, they had God on their side. :) )

Seriously, I don't think that the GOP is going to embrace our philosophy, and they'll fight it every step of the way. But again, right now Beck is the only person in the whole world that is spreading any significant portion of the message to a large receptive audience on a daily basis.

As Ron Paul followers, we jumped in hard. Some of us switched opinion on the war literally overnight. Not everybody is that reactive, and if Glenn is able to slowly rein in people that we couldn't get to budge because we yanked them too hard too fast, then it's a good thing.

Even if he is simply flat out lying, I don't see where we have anything to lose. We're not winning anything now. We don't have to embrace him, and I think we're smart to remember how he let us down in the past, but he is the only person getting the message out, no matter what the underlying motives are.

iddo
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Seriously, I don't think that the GOP is going to embrace our philosophy, and they'll fight it every step of the way.

I agree that the people who control the GOP now are beyond hope, so for example, say, John McCain will never embrace libertarian philosophy. But that doesn't mean that the GOP will never embrace libertarian philosophy. After 8 years of Obama squandering and spreading the wealth, who knows...:)

cheapseats
09-13-2009, 11:38 AM
About this you can be sure, a person's public diatribes will not countermand the Interests of the person or entity that issues the loudmouth's paycheck. Hence, the term Mouthpiece.

iddo
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
About this you can be sure, a person's public diatribes will not countermand the Interests of the person(s) who signs the loudmouth's paycheck. Hence, the term Mouthpiece.

The interest of Rupert Murdoch and foxnews is to spread the goodness of the American empire to places like Iraq and Afghanistan (i.e. same interest as the neocons), or the interest of Rupert Murdoch is to make money?
If the interest is to make money, maybe allowing libertarian voices on the air is a good idea?

cheapseats
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
The interest of Rupert Murdoch and foxnews is to spread the goodness of the American empire to places like Iraq and Afghanistan (i.e. same interest as the neocons), or the interest of Rupert Murdoch is to make money?

I cannot speak for Rupert Murdoch who has one foot in the grave, or his CHINESE wife, or FOX Brass.

But I know this much. The American Goodness Spreading that is trumpeted by neoconservatives and compelled by the brute force of Other People's Children ignites, fuels and flames stories for profit-based newsmen-I-use-the-term-lightly. Luckily for a needy world, this bull-in-a-china-shop approach is always accompanied by introduction of plenty of new and improved, if unnecessary, Product.

cheapseats
09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
If the interest is to make money, maybe allowing libertarian voices on the air is a good idea?

IF? Can there be any doubt in anyone's mind about this? News & Information, like Justice & Healthcare, are chiefly about makin' money.

Money trumps all in America, I am sorry to say.

Shareholders are exceedingly fond of their returns on investment. News corporations are publicly traded . . . what does THAT tell you?

If Libertarians want more airtime, they need messages and personalities that SELL.

Peace&Freedom
09-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Attacking 9/11 truthers is not anything like attacking libertarians. The majority of 9/11 truthers are leftists who hated George W. Bush etc., not libertarians. You really shouldn't say that Glenn Beck is attacking the liberty movement just because he attacked 9/11 truthers.

The truth movement started and expanded from the patriot side (Jones et al), not the left. Multiple polls on these boards (and elsewhere) have shown the majority of Paul supporters are truthers (MIHOP or LIPHOP). We know from Bill Doyle of the Coalition for 9-11 Families (and from my contacts with them in New York) the majority of them are also pro-truth or at least favor a new inquiry. Beck's criticism of them is consistently about the belief itself, not its political connections. You really shouldn't persist with an artificial divide between the truth and liberty.

erowe1
09-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Didn't you all get the memo? The day Obama was elected Beck and a whole bunch of Republicans decided to start advocating a smaller federal government confined to the functions enumerated in the Constitution. They fully intend to stay that way until we have a Republican president again.

iddo
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
The truth movement started and expanded from the patriot side

I find everything you said to be quite bizarre. And now you equate the liberty movement with patriots? What does loving your country have to do with being a libertarian?

iddo
09-13-2009, 01:43 PM
The day Obama was elected Beck and a whole bunch of Republicans decided to start advocating a smaller federal government confined to the functions enumerated in the Constitution.

You are right about the Republicans but wrong about Glenn Beck, he started advocating libertarian positions in 2008, see above.

constituent
09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
We all know what Paul will say about an attack on Iran, but will Beck apply his non-intervention rhetoric when a real act of aggression occurs? Or will he use his faux posturing to reel in would be liberty supporters to the hawkish side?

Yea, it'll sound a little something like this:

But it wasn't th[is war in Iran], it started long before, you can track this last course all the way back to World War I. [...] when you find a libertarian that will say: it has taken us over 200 years to put ourselves in this situation, what I think we need to do is turn the corner. We clearly can't cut all foreign alliances right now, we clearly can't just pull all of our troops back from [Iran, it will send the wrong message, and tell 'our boys' they died for nothing]. We can't do those things. But what we can do is set course to where America pulls back slowly, ... So that's what I want to hear from a libertarian, I want to hear: this is the 50 year plan. But unfortunately, everybody is looking at 2 years, 6 years, 4 years.

The Deacon
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Keith Olbermann show was very libertarian during the previous regime, as well. Now......:)

RedStripe
09-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Doesn't matter what Beck believes - lots of people hate him, and I'm not sure I want him to be the representative of libertarianism.

Ron Paul is the best mainstream representation of libertarianism. People respect him, not Beck.

Peace&Freedom
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I find everything you said to be quite bizarre. And now you equate the liberty movement with patriots? What does loving your country have to do with being a libertarian?

I find your parsing here to be bizarre. Is my omission of a single word (patriot MOVEMENT) that big a deal, and did anybody else not understand that movement is a big part of the liberty movement? The point is Jones promoted 911 truth, its steady and unifying momentum has come from the pro-liberty factions, while only scattered voices on the left have pushed the issue. Your position is disinformation.

iddo
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Doesn't matter what Beck believes - lots of people hate him, and I'm not sure I want him to be the representative of libertarianism.

Ron Paul is the best mainstream representation of libertarianism. People respect him, not Beck.

Lots of people hated George W. Bush but he still won the 2004 election.
Ron Paul got the libertarian agenda rolling, but he cannot do it all by himself, we need to reach more people in the mainstream.

iddo
09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Peace&Freedom, pardon my ignorance, would you be so kind and tell me what is the patriot movement?

Peace&Freedom
09-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Peace&Freedom, pardon my ignorance, would you be so kind and tell me what is the patriot movement?

http://www.originalintent.org/edu/patriotmovement.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Patriot_movement

http://www.americanpatriotmovement.com/

devil21
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Wait, so you mean Glenn Beck is starting to talk about the same things that GWB campaigned on when he was trying to beat a Democrat? OMG stop the presses! I can't believe it! Republicans talking about non-intervention when Democrats are in power? No way. That *never* happens.

Good lord I can't believe people still don't understand they're being played once again.

Dionysus
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Look, everyone, we can't all feel or believe the exact same thing about everything. Expecting that is just unrealistic.

Dr.3D
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I keep hearing we are being played, yet have I heard what people don't like about what Beck is doing on his current programming.

Annihilia
09-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Let's rely on TV personalities of dubious integrity to carry out our extremely important agenda!

The more they look like used car salesmen, the better.

JK/SEA
09-13-2009, 08:59 PM
I keep hearing we are being played, yet have I heard what people don't like about what Beck is doing on his current programming.

He isn't using his bully pulpit to express how wrong he was about our foreign policy, and asking me my forgivness on his error.

still waiting....tick tock...

Dr.3D
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
He isn't using his bully pulpit to express how wrong he was about our foreign policy, and asking me my forgivness on his error.

still waiting....tick tock...
Who would you like to be forgiven by when you changed your views about foreign policy? Have you asked for their forgiveness?

We were all converted at one time or another to what we believe here on the Liberty Forest forums.
Have we all asked those who already believed what we now believe, to forgive us yet?

JK/SEA
09-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Who would you like to be forgiven by when you changed your views about foreign policy? Have you asked for their forgiveness?

We were all converted at one time or another to what we believe here on the Liberty Forest forums.
Have we all asked those who already believed what we now believe, to forgive us yet?

Well, i am at least consistant with my views. I protested and took part in anti-war rallies. Vietnam, and all the crap in between, and i have always been a fiscal conservative on top of that.

I'd like to see Beck kick his desk over and throw a real tirade about being fooled, and using his MEDIA credentials to further this embarrasing foreign policy, and show me some real tears while doing so.

It would be nice if he could just mention Ron Paul at least once a month also...>sarc<

I'm not Glen Beck, but if i were, i would consider my advice...:D

iddo
09-14-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.originalintent.org/edu/patriotmovement.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Patriot_movement

http://www.americanpatriotmovement.com/

Thank you.
In the list of factions at 1st link everything seems cool, except the last one about opposing the separation of church and state. This separation was used to prevent the state from forcing you to profess that you believe in (the Christian) God if you want to be elected, so I'm not sure what this faction is complaining about, because nothing prevents anyone from exercising his conscience and believing in God.
It's a pity that the wikipedia link uses the term "far-right", because such a term pre-supposes where the center is.
Anyway, none of these links of the patriot movement mention anything at all regarding 9/11 truth, if you click on 9/11 on 3rd link it goes to gopusa, and I assume you don't claim that the GOP are a bunch of 9/11 truthers?:) I fail to understand why Glenn Beck attacking 9/11 truthers is supposed to imply that he's attacking the patriot movement or the liberty movement. Just look at the signatures on the petition that Van Jones signed, don't you recognize that the majority of 9/11 truthers are leftists who despise GWB?

lx43
09-14-2009, 12:42 AM
You know...who cares if beck is sincere or not about being non-interventionlist. Atleast he talked about it in some depth and possibly brought that point of view to millions of people. That is what is really important to me. It only takes a spark to get more people interested in the message of small govt, no income taxes, and bringing our troops home. I hope Beck continues to promote and discuss this type of philosphy.

The Deacon
09-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Another concern with Beck, besides the fact that he cannot be trusted, is that - let's face it, he comes across as a nut at times even when he is saying the right things. That style isn't going to work on a lot of people.

Schiff, Paul, Paul, Napolitano, Woods, etc. are just as important and exposing people to their real message is even more important to the cause. As a former progressive/neocon/not too libertarian mixture, I would have been tougher to convert in 07 if Glenn Beck was the only libertarian voice exposed to. If Beck is the face of the movement, not only could he turn heel but his style could put a lot of people off even when he is playing the face.

devil21
09-14-2009, 01:09 AM
You know...who cares if beck is sincere or not about being non-interventionlist. Atleast he talked about it in some depth and possibly brought that point of view to millions of people. That is what is really important to me. It only takes a spark to get more people interested in the message of small govt, no income taxes, and bringing our troops home. I hope Beck continues to promote and discuss this type of philosphy.

But but but but....9/11 changed everything!

iddo
09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
let's face it, he comes across as a nut at times even when he is saying the right things. That style isn't going to work on a lot of people.

The fact is that his ratings are very high for non-primetime slot, and also his book sales are high. Think of it as Glenn Beck delivering the message of libertarianism to a huge audience, even if you consider some of that audience to be nuts.
Besides, you could also say about any other person that his style isn't going to work on a lot of people. Can you name a single person for whom that's not true?

erowe1
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM
You are right about the Republicans but wrong about Glenn Beck, he started advocating libertarian positions in 2008, see above.

You mean two months before Obama was elected when Beck said he was all for TARP, and during the primaries when Ron Paul supporters were terrorists? He did a 180 on election day, just like all these establishment Republicans who are piggy backing on the tea parties.

tonesforjonesbones
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
erowe1 that is NOT TRUE. I'm gonna pull a Joe Wilson on ya. tones

erowe1
09-14-2009, 12:16 PM
erowe1 that is NOT TRUE. I'm gonna pull a Joe Wilson on ya. tones

Which part isn't true? I have videos that back up both parts. Beck was all for TARP, which was right before the election, and then right after the election he started injecting himself into this anti-TARP tea party movement. He went to sleep a Bushite one night and woke up a Paulite the next. And it just happens to be that that night was Nov. 4th, and it just happens to be that a whole bunch of other Republicans did the exact same thing at that exact same time.

iddo
09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Which part isn't true?

This part isn't true:

He went to sleep a Bushite one night and woke up a Paulite the next. And it just happens to be that that night was Nov. 4th

It didn't happen on Nov. 4th, it happened during 2007 and 2008, i'll quote from August 2008 again:
I think Ron Paul is right on the economy. I think Ron Paul is right on the Fed, he's right on gold. He's right on the size of government. He's also right on foreign affairs, to this extent: we should not be in the situation that we're in. But it wasn't the war in Iraq, it started long before, you can track this last course all the way back to World War I. [...] when you find a libertarian that will say: it has taken us over 200 years to put ourselves in this situation, what I think we need to do is turn the corner. We clearly can't cut all foreign alliances right now, we clearly can't just pull all of our troops back from all around the world. We can't do those things. But what we can do is set course to where America pulls back slowly, America does the right thing, and we bring our troops home and we say we're not the policeman for the world anymore. [...] the number one thing to get us to do that, is to be self-reliant on money, and self-reliant on energy. So that's what I want to hear from a libertarian, I want to hear: this is the 50 year plan. But unfortunately, everybody is looking at 2 years, 6 years, 4 years. And by doing that, you're never gonna get anything accomplished. (link (http://libertymaven.com/2008/08/08/glenn-beck-on-libertarianism-foreign-policy-and-ron-paul-08082008-audio/1386/))

You are right that Beck got it wrong about TARP, but he did have Peter Schiff on the air at the time saying why the bailout policy is a disaster, and Beck did talk about Weimar Republic and the hyperinflation risk at the time, so it wasn't so clear-cut.

tonesforjonesbones
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I have watched the metamorphasis of Glenn Beck..he's turning into a beautiful butterfly. tones

erowe1
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
You are right that Beck got it wrong about TARP,

That's a pretty big caveat.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-14-2009, 12:45 PM

I am going to take you up on this.

Dear fellow Ron Paul supporters,

Please forgive me in threads where my patience, wisdom, or logic has been lacking.

To all who read my words please take into consideration I have suggested none among you, unpatriotic or domestic terrorist. Such a thing would be detestable among great patriots and even more so if I were a personality with fame, fortune, and a national television show. Justice would demand the restitution be greater than a simple forum post.

-Live_Free_Or_Die

iddo
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
That's a pretty big caveat.

Well, if you're looking for someone who got it right on TARP and has a big audience, then your only choice is Rush Limbaugh, but with him you're stuck with neocon foreign policy :(
The point is that the positions that Glenn Beck advocates right now are usually good, did you watch the clip posted at the beginning of this thread?
Also Glenn Beck is a guest of freedomwatch today, so q.e.d. :)

Carole
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I would say that for all those here who are reticent about Beck, that is fine.

However, he is giving us a huge voice we would never have had without him--at least for now.

It also appears that the more he reads, the more he changes his clothing about neo-con ideas and sees through the lobbyist corruption, the political corruption in DC.

Let him help us wake up America as long as possible. People are listening to him for crying out loud. This is a good thing for now. At least for the tens of thousands who have been turning out for the teaparties and the DC 9-12 project.

Right now this fledgling movement is not big enough for a third party. It HAS to begin with taking both the parties back and then changing things from that point.

angelatc
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I would say that for all those here who are reticent about Beck, that is fine.

However, he is giving us a huge voice we would never have had without him--at least for now.

The people that can't figure this out care more about some sense of non-existent political entitlement, than they are the message. They won't change - it's just the way libertarians are.

Yes, I think Genn Beck is spreading a good message. Yes, I think he will lead his sheep astray during election season.

Unless we come up with a viable leader or candidate, he's the only real hope he have.

devil21
09-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I have watched the metamorphasis of Glenn Beck..he's turning into a beautiful butterfly. tones

Sold to you!

Excuse me while I throw up.

BenIsForRon
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Glen Beck does help us by getting parts of our message to Fox viewers... but jesus, I can't believe anybody on this forum is dumb enough to actually enjoy his show. He's a fucking bipolar jackass.

RyanRSheets
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
3 years ago I was a neo-con. I can understand why people want to believe Beck has changed. I myself changed. Slowly but surely I am converting my father, an interventionist since Vietnam. If I can do it and my dad can do it, why can't he? Maybe he really is changing.

It's easy to believe that this is all just a show. It's absolutely healthy for us to remain skeptical, but we should not be greeting the new and improved Beck with contempt and ill wishes. We should be thanking him for finally seeing the light. Even if it's an act, we aren't going to reach the mainstream without Beck. We need to use him as a vehicle but we need to be the most tireless of the bunch to ensure that we come out the leaders.

We do need to be careful, but we need to embrace the possibility that an enemy can become a friend.

Dr.3D
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
3 years ago I was a neo-con. I can understand why people want to believe Beck has changed. I myself changed. Slowly but surely I am converting my father, an interventionist since Vietnam. If I can do it and my dad can do it, why can't he? Maybe he really is changing.

It's easy to believe that this is all just a show. It's absolutely healthy for us to remain skeptical, but we should not be greeting the new and improved Beck with contempt and ill wishes. We should be thanking him for finally seeing the light. Even if it's an act, we aren't going to reach the mainstream without Beck. We need to use him as a vehicle but we need to be the most tireless of the bunch to ensure that we come out the leaders.

We do need to be careful, but we need to embrace the possibility that an enemy can become a friend.

I agree.
Don't judge the man till he in fact does turn on us.
What we need to do is really keep an eye on him and see what he does.

american.swan
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
People can change their minds. But people in media paid for my crooks must be watched.

Will Beck endorse Rand and Schiff or Palin? That will seal the deal. I'm telling you there are a lot of fools out there who will do whatever Beck says.

We need to call into his radio show and make it clear that WE LIBERTARIANS will never vote for PALIN over RAND or SCHIFF or RON. End of Story.

Flash
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
People can change their minds. But people in media paid for my crooks must be watched.

Will Beck endorse Rand and Schiff or Palin? That will seal the deal. I'm telling you there are a lot of fools out there who will do whatever Beck says.

We need to call into his radio show and make it clear that WE LIBERTARIANS will never vote for PALIN over RAND or SCHIFF or RON. End of Story.

He can't endorse candidates since he is under contract. But he does have Rand Paul & Peter Schiff on his show.