ronpaulfollower999
09-12-2009, 10:51 AM
beach erosion?

Stop building on the beach....

Anti Federalist
09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Stop building on the beach....

That.

Trying to "stop" beach erosion is like giving orders to the tide or the wind.

Matt Collins
09-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Well, whoever owns the beach (should be private property) should be responsible for their own land. However if someone a few miles out builds a jetty or something that shifts wave patterns to now cause erosion (and you can prove this in court), then they have infringed upon your rights to enjoy your land; seek restitution.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-12-2009, 02:26 PM
State owns the coastline, which is authorized under the constitution of the state.

1. Stop building

Do you add to that
2. Restore the natural landscape, sand dunes, and vegetation?

What about existing coastal structures that are not set back far enough and current erosion?

Since the beach is never going to be private property (in the present real world anyway), do you privatize management of the coastline? Would the profit motive be provided by the state or use? What competition incentives would exist if provided by the state?

brandon
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Why is beach erosion a bad thing again?

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Why is beach erosion a bad thing again?

It's politicized.

Deborah K
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
It's politicized.

That too, but erosion threatens homes and businesses built near it. Back in the good ol' days in New Orleans, the landowners were responsible for the upkeep of any jetty or erosion. As soon as gov't took things over, they became responsible for it, and well, you know what happens next.

If I had a business or a home near a beach, I'd probably try to get the community involved in taking it out of the gov'ts hands and back into private ownership.

That would be my answer to the OP's question.

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-12-2009, 07:25 PM
not looking for a specific answer. but given a scenario of state owned coastline just stopping building does not present a solid solution to a problem the public demands attention.

muzzled dogg
09-12-2009, 07:41 PM
protect your own property

Dunedain
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
The people that own all the beach front property have the most to lose from global warming. I suppose this is why I have to hear about it all the time.

Vessol
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Beach Erosion?

QQ when the waves wash away your precious beach house.

Then maybe build inland next time idiot.

Objectivist
09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
beach erosion?

Do you have some way of making the planet stop doing what it has been doing for billions of years?

No solution for a non-existent problem.
YouTube - The Early Earth and Plate Tectonics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDqskltCixA&feature=PlayList&p=A490BAF87A6AF829&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10)