PDA

View Full Version : Obama Considering Shutting Off Flame at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

gls
09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Edit: On second thought, this is probably a piece of subtle satire. The blog cites zero actual evidence for its claims.

http://jumpinginpools.blogspot.com/2009/09/obama-considering-turning-off-flame-at.html

Obama Considering Turning off Flame at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for New "Green" Initiative

Peter Richardson
September 10, 2009

"Today we stand at a precipice." Then-Senator Barack Obama told an audience in Racine, Wisconsin last year, "If we are able to reduce carbon emissions and build a sustainable future, our children will benefit for generations."

The future President has stated that environmental policy will be one of the cornerstones of his tenure in the White House. In order to reduce pollution caused by carbon dioxide, President Obama has pushed for various pieces of legislation, including the Cash for Clunkers bill and the so-called Cap and Trade provisions.

Both candidate and President Obama has stated that a paramount goal would be to reduce American need for foreign sources of fuel.

Many of the efforts to reduce energy consumption are well-known to the American people. These include turning off lights when not in a room, insulating buildings, and raising mileage standards for automobiles. However, one small proviso has many within the Defense Department and in Congress infuriated.

According to two sentences posted on September 8 on the White House website, one initiative included turning off the 'eternal flame' at the Tomb of the Unknowns in the Arlington National Cemetery. The post, which was briefly cited by FoxNews, was then swiftly deleted.

When later asked about this by FoxNews' White House Correspondent Major Garrett during a flight with the President, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs stated that, "We have no comment on this policy at this time."

However, Defense officials have reportedly leaked part of the justification coming from the Administration. According to aides to Defense Secretary Robert Gates, the Administration may be implementing its policy for several reasons. One included fuel savings:

"...[with] ordinary Americans facing higher fuel prices, shutting off the Flame will save 20,000 gallons of kerosene a year."

While another passage stated that "two-hundred tons" of carbon emissions would be reduced by shutting off the flame.

In a statement later released by Jen Psaki, White House Deputy Press Secretary, much of the controversy regarding the possible change is overstated. Psaki stated that the flame would still be lit on important dates, such as Independence Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans' Day.

"The President remains committed to making the United States energy independent." the statement said, "This possible policy should remind all Americans of the noble sacrifices by our veterans, and how we can solve the energy crisis with sound planning and each doing our part."

InterestedParticipant
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM
More symbolic crushing of America, that is what this is about. That's okay, let them play their little childish games. It is crushing the American spirit, that is within each of us, that they cannot alter, and that is what matters.

gls
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
More symbolic crushing of America, that is what this is about. That's okay, let them play their little childish games. It is crushing the American spirit, that is within each of us, that they cannot alter, and that is what matters.

I think this one would backfire. Especially if they did this yet failed to turn off the Kennedy "eternal flame".

JK/SEA
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Always thought that flame was a waste of gas and energy, especially the Kennedy flame.

Found this:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792928558-solar-powered-flickering-lantern.html

problem solved.

InterestedParticipant
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I think this one would backfire. Especially if they did this yet failed to turn off the Kennedy "eternal flame".
I'd almost like to see these psychopaths try to turn off the JFK flame. I think this group is almost crazy enough to try it.

KCIndy
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
If Obama and company snuff the flame, it would be 100% GUARANTEED pure political suicide.

... :( .....

That's *almost* enough reason to make me hope they do it....

ScoutsHonor
09-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Will this be before or after he hoists the flag of the Red Chinese over the White House lawn?

You know, this may be a little thing, but there is that famous saying about
the Straw That Broke The Camel's Back..
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this became that straw...I almost hope he tries it!

;):D

Zippyjuan
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe he will start taking an electric train when he goes somewhere instead of flying to save energy and carbon emissions?

Sandman33
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
This asshole is talking about SAVING energy when he rolls around in a private jet followed by another one, then lands and rolls in an entire motorcade. All together one single trip will emit more "carbon" than the lifetime of that flame.

Liberty Star
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
How much energy will one light at home save for a country that is burning billions of dollars worth gas in Iraq?

Light
09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
This asshole is talking about SAVING energy when he rolls around in a private jet followed by another one, then lands and rolls in an entire motorcade. All together one single trip will emit more "carbon" than the lifetime of that flame.

Word.

I would even bet that the likes of Al Gore have made a bigger "carbon footprint" than most of us will make in our entire lives.

AdamT
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM
This just more mind blowing idiocy, which almost seems to be getting more bizarre by the day. Under Dubya we lived in a bizarro world. I'm not sure what you'd call it now, but it's surely not any more sane.

olehounddog
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Always thought that flame was a waste of gas and energy, especially the Kennedy flame.

Found this:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792928558-solar-powered-flickering-lantern.html

problem solved.

At $29 ea. I'll bet they could replace both flames for $1billion