PDA

View Full Version : John Stossel is Jumping to Fox

mello
09-10-2009, 02:28 PM
NEW YORK – ABC anchor John Stossel is jumping to Fox.

Stossel is a libertarian whose work won both headaches and viewers for ABC during his
28 years at the network. He'll anchor a weekly program on the Fox Business Network
and appear regularly on Fox News Channel.
His new show on the business network will explore consumer issues and libertarianism.
Stossel was known for his "Give Me a Break" stories on ABC, which he turned into a
best-selling book. He was an anchor at "20/20" for ABC. ABC says Elizabeth Vargas will
continue to anchor that show.

Matt Collins
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
This has been posted elsewhere already.

CasualApathy
09-10-2009, 02:59 PM
This has been posted elsewhere already.

Wow OMG! Say it isn't so! What are we going to do?! AAAAAAHHHH!

Knightskye
09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Holy crap. That's awesome. He'll actually get airtime. And if he does a special, it won't get delayed to a month later.

Way to go, Stossel!

He talked about it in his ABCNews.com blog:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel/2009/09/im-moving-to-fox.html

jkm1864
09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I wonder what the hell is going on at fox. I was watching Glen Beck yesterday and He was calling out both of the parties as being corrupt and evil. I can not believe this and I'm surprised Murdock is allowing this to happen. Is this movement larger than We know? Are We actually becoming main stream or is this controlled opposition?

Objectivist
09-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Good because he deserves a raise.

gls
09-10-2009, 03:23 PM
He talked about it in his ABCNews.com blog:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel/2009/09/im-moving-to-fox.html

Gotta laugh at all the liberal commentators; condescending yet clueless. I blame government schools.

clb09
09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,548989,00.html

"John Stossel is one of the most talented and thought-provoking journalists in the field and we are extremely excited to welcome him to the FOX Business team," FOX Business Network Executive Vice President Kevin Magee said. "His insights on consumer-related issues are unparalleled and will be a natural complement to our business programming."

http://www.foxnews.com/images/561425/0_61_stossel_320.jpg

Objectivist
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Second thread on the same topic.

MRoCkEd
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Should be good. Hopefully the neocons let him talk about legalizing drugs!

jclay2
09-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't care if this is a double thread, Stossel is just amazing. First Beck, then freedomwatch, and now stossel! Fox might be filled with neocons, but they sure do no how to make money. If they keep bringing these guys on, there won't be any more msnbc or cnn.

clb09
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Fox, based on its audience size, is now America's number one source of libertarian ideas!

http://thefastertimes.com/nonsensenews/files/2009/07/foxnews_alert_2002_a1.jpg

devil21
09-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Fox taking the next step in usurping the Liberty movement in order to try to mold it toward whatever the next incarnation the GOP takes for 2010 and 2012. Only a matter of time until Alex Jones is also hired.

Maybe Im just too cynical and jaded but Im eagerly awaiting the "no nation-building, no policing-the-world, small government" RINO that wins the 2012 nomination, then promptly bombs the shit out of some country full of brown people after the election. Fool me once...

SelfTaught
09-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Only a matter of time until Alex Jones is also hired.

Oh god!

They should put him on the morning show. There's nothing like waking up to a big ogre-ish looking white dude shouting, "WE'RE NOT YOUR SLAVES, YOU NEW WORLD ORDER SCUM!!! STOP RAPING US, WE'RE NOT YOUR CRACKWHORES, STOP KICKING US IN THE TEETH!!!"

CaseyJones
09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Fox taking the next step in usurping the Liberty movement in order to try to mold it toward whatever the next incarnation the GOP takes for 2010 and 2012. Only a matter of time until Alex Jones is also hired.

Maybe Im just too cynical and jaded but Im eagerly awaiting the "no nation-building, no policing-the-world, small government" RINO that wins the 2012 nomination, then promptly bombs the shit out of some country full of brown people after the election. Fool me once...

^ this

Epic
09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
The Pros:

- Stossel gets more airtime. The people who want to see him will be able to see him a lot more. Even the people who don't have Fox Business will be able to see the episodes online on Youtube or FoxNews.com

- Fox News watchers (mainstream republicans) will be exposed to his libertarianism when he appears on Fox News. Hopefully he'll have some 1 hour specials on Fox News.

The Cons:

- Libertarianism gets tied to Fox News. The vast differences between libertarianism and what passes for modern conservatism will be blurred.

- The limited time he got on ABC News is now gone. He probably convinced some independents/liberals/moderates with his reporting. And now that won't happen.

My verdict: This is slightly beneficial, because of the increased time he will be on TV. Hopefully, Fox can dump some neocons like Karl Rove to make room.

Edit: in order to be beneficial, he needs to be on Fox News a lot and promote some pro-libertarian anti-conservative (drug war, for example) talking points. Also, he better establish a good audience for Fox Business - they need him badly.

Fr3shjive
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Its easy to be cynical when a guy like Stossel goes to Fox news but I think he'll do a lot of good. I think the neo-con way of thinking and doing things in Washington is on it's way out. Hopefully Stossel can help to get up there quicker.

Thrashertm
09-10-2009, 05:08 PM
The Pros:

- The limited time he got on ABC News is now gone. He probably convinced some independents/liberals/moderates with his reporting. And now that won't happen.

This ^

I am afraid though it will be a net negative. He's preaching to the choir more or less on Fox News. We already have Andrew Napolitano on Fox as a consistent libertarian voice.

Time will tell.

Time for Change
09-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I have my concerns about Fox too.

Look at Beck's mission to expose Van Jones radical views for a second...
It was good he got the information out there; it needed to be done, but look at the fact that he exposed him as a truther nut job.

What he effectively did was tie the truther movement to communism, radical views and the desire to destroy America by associating it with Jones.

Disclaimer: I am not really into the truther thing, but I have to admit there are some compelling tidbits out there.

In some twisted way, I suspect this whole story was designed to:

to eliminate any possibility that truthers may be considered sane and
effectively add a diversion from the fact that a regulatory czar was being rushed through the senate who IS truly a dangerous man who will have inconceivable powers to regulate us into a world of higher cost for everything and reductions in our already diminished liberties.

I hope I am wrong...but I still DO NOT trust fox for a second

Time for Change
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
bump

mczerone
09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Second thread on the same topic.

Second post in the second thread about this.

Matt Collins
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Here's something else noteworthy: the universal use of the word "libertarian" to describe Stossel by news outlets reporting his move to Fox. This is another sign of the growing acceptance of libertarianism as a distinct, valid and growing part of the American political landscape. Just a few years ago the word "libertarian" was so little used and understood that it would either have been omitted or followed by a lengthy explanation. Now it is taken for granted that readers will understand it.