PDA

View Full Version : John Stossel Leaving ABC For Fox!

Gaius1981
09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
John Stossel Leaving ABC For Fox

John Stossel, the longtime ABC News correspondent and co-anchor of "20/20," is leaving ABC to join Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network. TVNewser has learned Stossel will host a weekly, one-hour program for the 2-year-old business channel. He's expected to signed a multi-year deal with Fox which will include regular appearances on Fox News Channel during daytime and primetime. He'll also host four, hour-long specials on Fox News, much like the business/consumer specials he'd hosted for years on ABC.

Read more here: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/john_stossel_leaving_abc_for_fox_130603.asp

I think this is fantastic news!

amy31416
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
The neocons at Fox are trying to reign in the libertarians, they know Stossel is a hero to them. If I hear one bit of neoconnery coming from his mouth, I'll vomit.

Now if it has the opposite effect and I hear more libertarian-type notions from O'Reilly, I'll just be tremendously confused for quite a while.

angelatc
09-10-2009, 12:49 PM
The neocons at Fox are trying to reign in the libertarians, they know Stossel is a hero to them. If I hear one bit of neoconnery coming from his mouth, I'll vomit.

Now if it has the opposite effect and I hear more libertarian-type notions from O'Reilly, I'll just be tremendously confused for quite a while.

I shall remain cynical until the end.

Matt Collins
09-10-2009, 12:51 PM
If they were smart they would bring Pat Buchanan over too.

JoshLowry
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Same here.

It's rather simple.

Fox/NewsCorp will support the constitution and liberty until the neocons make a come back.

pinkmandy
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Same here. :D

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Blood is going to shoot out of Kludge's eyes.

acptulsa
09-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Fox will support the constitution and liberty until the neocons make a come back.

There it is. Nice nutshell, too.

amy31416
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Blood is going to shoot out of Kludge's eyes.

I will always think of Kludge whenever a mention of Stossel is made.

Chieftain1776
09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
First on TVNewser: John Stossel, the longtime ABC News correspondent and co-anchor of "20/20," is leaving ABC to join Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network. TVNewser has learned Stossel will host a weekly, one-hour program for the 2-year-old business channel. He's expected to signed a multi-year deal with Fox which will include regular appearances on Fox News Channel during daytime and primetime. He'll also host four, hour-long specials on Fox News, much like the business/consumer specials he'd hosted for years on ABC.

Stossel, a libertarian, has been appearing on Fox News for years as a guest on shows including "The O'Reilly Factor," "Hannity & Colmes" and "The Big Story."

The one-hour FOX Business program, entitled Stossel, will debut during the fourth quarter of 2009 on FBN's primetime line-up, featuring in-depth reports and discussions surrounding libertarian issues in the United States and abroad. Each week Stossel will be joined by experts to explore consumer-focused topics such as free-market economies, civil liberties, the business of health care, social security, and free trade.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/john_stossel_leaving_abc_for_fox_130603.asp

I don't know how this will turn out. I figured there was a chance that he would go to FNC primetime. He's going to the low-rated FBN. I really hope it works out ratings wise. I think the show will be better and probably the best thing on TV. I don't know how it will go with the ratings...

Unfortunately, right now, millions of independents will miss out on his pro-liberty perspective. I hope it works out.

yokna7
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Fox affiliation undermines almost everything. This is a bad move, we were even better off with him at abc. Now he will dismissed as "gimmicky" like Glenn Beck.

gls
09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I think this is fantastic news!

I don't know; it seems like a downgrade to me. He had a much bigger reach on network television than he'll have on cable television. Of course it will be nice having a long time, consistent, principled defender of freedom on Fox as a libertarian standard bearer, as opposed to those talking heads who have only cared about limiting government since Obama’s inauguration.

Chieftain1776
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
The problem is that FBN is notoriously low rated (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/what-if-they-held-a-network-and-nobody-came/). If Stossel makes the network boom he'll own it.

AdamT
09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
same here.

It's rather simple.

Fox/newscorp will support the constitution and liberty until the neocons make a come back.

+100

surf
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
maybe i'm dreaming, but perhaps he can convert neocons to freedom lovers.

perhaps i should pass the bong.

yokna7
09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
The problem is that FBN is notoriously low rated (http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/what-if-they-held-a-network-and-nobody-came/). If Stossel makes the network boom he'll own it.

No that's not the problem. The problem is the Fox affiliation. It's laughable now, he will now be easily dismissed by affiliation.

JoshLowry
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
maybe i'm dreaming, but perhaps he can convert neocons to freedom lovers.

If anything he will bring people who lean libertarian back into their audience.

Trust us. Trust us. Trust us. Ah, fooled ya! Trust us. Trust us. Trust Us.

Wash Rinse Repeat

Chieftain1776
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Honestly, I think there is support for my theory that the Ron Paul campaign made Glenn Beck get on Fox. They saw Dr. Paul pull in $30 million and the enthusiasm surrounding him and they brought Beck over. Beck has been calling himself a libertarian for a while (even before Fox) and so Fox saw a market and brought him on. I don't know if it's about dollars and cents or co-opting (or both) but I think there's a genuine "market" for the perspective.

I also think Beck sees Ron Paul as the guy who made his career on FNC possible and is thus a competitor to his libertarian bona fides so he rarely has him on.

The question of whether Rupert Murdoch will put profits over politics remains. If it's the latter we're screwed on foreign policy (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1237392665709&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull)(as usual).

MsDoodahs
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Stossel and the Judge?

I would like to see an hour every day...in Beck's current time slot....move Beck to Hannity's time slot and send Hannity back to the radio dial...

Chieftain1776
09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
At least with Stossel we know if he abandons his foreign policy views then we can prove once and for all Fox is simply a neoconservative ideological/political enterprise as opposed to a profit-making one. With Beck we already know/suspect he's acting.

YouTube - Ron Paul on "John Stossel Goes To Washington" (2001) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VyCrs-QoY)

haaaylee
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
good and bad.

bad that he left ABC and no more 20/20 specials for people to see without cable (although, since the conversion can you even get basic cable alone?)

but good as in more Stossel for us! I hated that he only got so much coverage on 20/20. With his own show and multiple appearances the exposure of our ideas will increase.

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Why is there a GothScene dating ad on for this thread???

Matt Collins
09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Stossel and the Judge?Don't get me excited! It's not fair.... :D

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/MattandtheJudge-ee.jpg

SelfTaught
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Stossel and the Judge?

I would like to see an hour every day...in Beck's current time slot....move Beck to Hannity's time slot and send Hannity back to the radio dial...

I think on Freedom Watch, the Judge mentioned that he and Stossel were college buddies. It surprised me at first because judging from appearance, the Judge looked a lot older than Stossel.

By the way, I love how Stossel has been rocking the mustache for decades.

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
<waits on a hysterical Amy comment>

amy31416
09-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Don't get me excited! It's not fair.... :D

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/MattandtheJudge-ee.jpg

That's a nice perm.

georgiaboy
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Maybe the GOP will get the clue and begin to show this same type of inclusion & willingness to give these views a try?

and yeah, every time I see the name Stossel, I think Kludge. heh.

amy31416
09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
<waits on a hysterical Amy comment>

The fact that you posted that at the same exact time as I commented is far more hysterical than my actual comment. :p

angelatc
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
good and bad.

bad that he left ABC and no more 20/20 specials for people to see without cable (although, since the conversion can you even get basic cable alone?)

I have basic cable but FBN is ony available in premium packages.

I had not thought of it, but now his pieces won't be seen by anybody who refuses to watch Fox. Including me, I guess, but more importantly the mainstream viewer.

Cowlesy
09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
The fact that you posted that at the same exact time as I commented is far more hysterical than my actual comment. :p

Honestly that could not have worked out any better than it did --- call me a mindreader.

I have basic cable but FBN is ony available in premium packages.

I had not thought of it, but now his pieces won't be seen by anybody who refuses to watch Fox. Including me, I guess, but more importantly the mainstream viewer.

FBN is doing a major push right now after going sideways essentially since it started. They're bringing Stossel over, and also Don Imus is going to simulcast his show instead of Money for Breakfast with Alexis Glick.

georgiaboy
09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
just like people will refuse to listen to Ron Paul because he's a Republican.

I don't watch Fox anymore, and I used to be a diehard Foxwatcher until I saw Ron ridiculed by them during the 2008 prez debates. They exposed themselves to me then in a way I may never get over.

Of course with me, Stossel is just preaching to the choir. Those already tuning in to Fox are the ones I want him to be evangelizing. Go Johnny!

BTW, I think we have RP to thank for even getting Stossel noticed for their network! This is due to this movement's influence -- no doubt in my mind.

Elwar
09-10-2009, 02:36 PM
It's all because of the folks over at The Obama Forum going after him. They were the ones who started the boycott on Glenn Beck too...

WHEREAS John Stossel is the biggest racist in the news media.
Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel...-a-racist.html

WHEREAS John Stossel ignores the facts posted in his own article such as:
-The Boston Globe: "Obama shows an ability to transcend race”
-The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “Obama's success suggests we can transcend race”
-(Oscar award winning) actress Janeane Garofalo summed up the tea parties thusly: “This is about hating a black man in the White House. This is racism straight up.”
-ABC News story (says) racist white militias are somehow connected to town-hall protests...Obama has “triggered fears among fairly large numbers of white people in this country that they are somehow losing their country.”

WHEREAS John Stossel has criticized the wonderful Communist leader, Fidel Castro who acknowledges the truth stating “the extreme right hates him for being African-American…"

LET IT BE RESOLVED THAT WE, the working class (and un-employed), non-racist, citizens of the free world, do vow to BOYCOTT all advertisers for ABC's show 20/20 until the RACIST John Stossel is summarily fired from the show or prosecuted for hate speech.
http://theobamaforum.com/showthread.php?t=12745

It's sad that ABC bowed under such pressure.

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/e107_images/banners/garyjohnsonbanner.jpg (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com)

Mini-Me
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Why is there a GothScene dating ad on for this thread???

Well, you did say the word "blood" earlier...?

purplechoe
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/e/e3/StosselTZH.jpg

purplechoe
09-10-2009, 02:47 PM
http://www.theyoungturks.com/images/BitchSlap.jpg

sunghoko
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Good for Stossel personally. I was upset when they put the interview with Ron Paul as an online exclusive only and apparently he was upset that his special on Canadian health care was delayed due to Michael Jackson death.

He'll get more viewers with his Fox News Specials than on ABC on Friday nights. I bet most people watch his specials through Youtube

LibertyEagle
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
It's all because of the folks over at The Obama Forum going after him. They were the ones who started the boycott on Glenn Beck too...

http://theobamaforum.com/showthread.php?t=12745

It's sad that ABC bowed under such pressure.

Is that, or is that not, a satire site?

jclay2
09-10-2009, 04:18 PM

That would be awesome if they did. He is also one of my favorites in the msm.

Imperial
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM

This. I actually like FBN. The people there actually think, something I don't see very often on the big three news channels.

Stossel should prove a great addition to the channel. Whether it is worth or not is still to be seen. But its worth a shot I suppose.

TastyWheat
09-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Man I love Pat so much [in a totally non-gay way].

I think John knows what he's doing. I think for the time being they'll let John have carte blanche, but as soon as a Republican is back in the White House we'll see how much dissent Fox will stomach.

heavenlyboy34
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't know how this will turn out. I figured there was a chance that he would go to FNC primetime. He's going to the low-rated FBN. I really hope it works out ratings wise. I think the show will be better and probably the best thing on TV. I don't know how it will go with the ratings...

Unfortunately, right now, millions of independents will miss out on his pro-liberty perspective. I hope it works out.

I suspect the libertarians will youtube it and continue avoiding Faux and TV in general. :cool:

Andrew-Austin
09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Is that, or is that not, a satire site?

The admin posted on this forum not too long ago that it wasn't a satire site, and bashed us as racist Hannity worshipers. Think it was last week.

He also owns the website randpaulsucks.com

BenIsForRon
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
ABC is seen as a more legitimate channel by the majority of Americans. Stossel has more influence on ABC than on FOX. Therefore, this is a terrible move.

0zzy
09-11-2009, 12:26 AM
ABC is seen as a more legitimate channel by the majority of Americans. Stossel has more influence on ABC than on FOX. Therefore, this is a terrible move.

That is, of course, if ABC ever let him air his specials more than once every 3 months.

Matt Collins
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I suspect the libertarians will youtube it and continue avoiding Faux and TV in general. :cool:Pretty much. After the way they treated Ron, I am not going to give them my money no matter how much good they do from here on out. I don't trust the networks, and I REFUSE to feed the beast!

But that being said I do support Buchanan, Napolitano, Stossell, and to a lesser extent, Tucker and to an even much lesser extent, Beck. But I'll just watch their clips on the Web where I don't have to pay for it ;-)

BenIsForRon
09-11-2009, 12:55 AM
That is, of course, if ABC ever let him air his specials more than once every 3 months.

Good point. I hope Fox goes easy on the censorship. I'd like to get some Fox viewers behind drug legalization ;)

SimpleName
09-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Of course I don't trust Fox, but shit! I think this is great. I wish it was daily, but that probably just wouldn't fit his style. I can't wait for October to roll around. 20/20 is just too damn cluttered to bother watching for his 6 minute pieces here and there.

GunnyFreedom
09-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Maybe the GOP will get the clue and begin to show this same type of inclusion & willingness to give these views a try?

This is already happening in NC because the NC Paulers entered the GOP en-masse and began agitating for change -- LOUDLY -- from January 2008 through this very day. At first we met intense resistance, but now we are welcomed everywhere but 3 or 4 out of out 100 counties, and in some places such as my own Franklin County, we are actually pushed ahead of the GOP establishment.

I am convinced that the reason for this is because all the NC Paulers got together around late 2007 early 2008 and made a conscious decision to follow Dr Paul's advice and pour in to the State GOP and take the most active roles we could grasp.

And hallelujah, it worked!!!

BenIsForRon
09-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I am convinced that the reason for this is because all the NC Paulers got together around late 2007 early 2008 and made a conscious decision to follow Dr Paul's advice and pour in to the State GOP and take the most active roles we could grasp.

And hallelujah, it worked!!!

Yeah, and if Sarah Palin and Bobby Jindahl is the best they can come up with, then we've got this thing in the bag!

muh_roads
09-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Bad.

Liberals would've been more open to listening to him on ABC. Now they'll just label him as crazy on Fox.

We need a new station composed of nothing but libertarians. Where are the billionaire libertarians to start this venture up?

AutoDas
09-11-2009, 01:52 AM
He's said ABC hasn't been allowing to him do as much investigative reporting since Obama has taken office compared to GWB in a ReasonTV interview so that must be the reason for him leaving.

muh_roads
09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
He's said ABC hasn't been allowing to him do as much investigative reporting since Obama has taken office compared to GWB in a ReasonTV interview so that must be the reason for him leaving.

The question is, will Stossel be free to criticize Bush just as equally as he'll be free to criticize Obama?

That is what Fox News viewers need to see. Will Stossel be allowed to criticize the wars? This is probably why he is going to be on the less watched Business channel more often.

angelatc
09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Honestly that could not have worked out any better than it did --- call me a mindreader.

FBN is doing a major push right now after going sideways essentially since it started. They're bringing Stossel over, and also Don Imus is going to simulcast his show instead of Money for Breakfast with Alexis Glick.

That was funny.

I thought you ditched cable.

The thing is that Stossel will no longer reach the voters who really don't care - the type of people who turned on 20/20 to see 25 minutes of Phil Specter's 20-something wife and just happened to overhear 7 minutes of health care discussion.

angelatc
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
The admin posted on this forum not too long ago that it wasn't a satire site, and bashed us as racist Hannity worshipers. Think it was last week.

He also owns the website randpaulsucks.com

Performance art.

Feenix566
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
The media managers only care about one thing: ratings. If Stossel's program gets a couple million viewers, they'll move him to a prominent time slot. Most of us don't get fox business. If a lot of us call up our cable providers and complain about it, and tell them it's because we want to see Stossel's show, the media managers will take notice.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
just gives the mainstream an excuse to dismiss everything he says

MRoCkEd
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Judge Napolitano finds another friend

evilfunnystuff
09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
The thing is that Stossel will no longer reach the voters who really don't care - the type of people who turned on 20/20 to see 25 minutes of Phil Specter's 20-something wife and just happened to overhear 7 minutes of health care discussion.

ya i guess that kinda sux but on the bright side

we now get at least 56 new hours of stossel a year

and a chance to pull the the republican base closer to our side

i see it as a positive overall hell maybey we will get stossel and the judge back to back on fox as our influence grows

i feel kinda greasy sayin this but i may have to find a way to show my apriciation to fox if this trend continues but i dont want to subscribe to cable again so i hope they set up a good streaming video section on their site as it currently sucks ass

Matt Collins
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Here's something else noteworthy: the universal use of the word "libertarian" to describe Stossel by news outlets reporting his move to Fox. This is another sign of the growing acceptance of libertarianism as a distinct, valid and growing part of the American political landscape. Just a few years ago the word "libertarian" was so little used and understood that it would either have been omitted or followed by a lengthy explanation. Now it is taken for granted that readers will understand it.

yokna7
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Here's something else noteworthy: the universal use of the word "libertarian" to describe Stossel by news outlets reporting his move to Fox. This is another sign of the growing acceptance of libertarianism as a distinct, valid and growing part of the American political landscape. Just a few years ago the word "libertarian" was so little used and understood that it would either have been omitted or followed by a lengthy explanation. Now it is taken for granted that readers will understand it.

That's true; however, with the reputation that fox news and glenn beck have, the association may be detrimental to the movement. Now MSM can dismiss stossel as a fringe icon like that have with beck. The greatest vehicle for libertarianism is not pundits or commentators, but Ron Paul. He still delivers and is taken seriously by all the networks, but ironically taken the least seriously by Foxnews.:o

Melissa
09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I am trying to get a seat at a luncheon Mr. Stossel will be talking at here in my state if I do will come back with a report can't wait to meet him love his news reports