PDA

View Full Version : Why is Obama allowed to call his opponents liars?

jmdrake
09-10-2009, 10:39 AM
For everyone concerned about Obama being called a liar, didn't he just say that he was clearing up "falsehoods" about his plan? So if you say something about his plan that he doesn't like he can call you a liar but you can't throw that back at him?

zach
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
This is racist talk.

yokna7
09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Hmmmmm Liar is a rather strong word, perharps "truth suppressor" is slightly more mellifluous. Keep in mind this accusation is nothing new in Washington. Earlier this year Pelosi (who was aghast apparently) called the CIA liars.....she should have said truth suppressor.

Harry Reid called then- president Bush a "loser" in 2005.........but it is truly ignorance, for they ignore their commonality - douchbaggery.

Krugerrand
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Most of it is timing. Outburst during a formal presentation is generally frowned upon. Yes, it's a one-sided platform. But, the presidency is a bully-pulpit. If you don't how it's used, elect somebody else.

jmdrake
09-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Most of it is timing. Outburst during a formal presentation is generally frowned upon. Yes, it's a one-sided platform. But, the presidency is a bully-pulpit. If you don't how it's used, elect somebody else.

Sure. But this double standard isn't written into the constitution. And Bush was occassionally boo'd (and I believe also called a liar) during speeches also.

Krugerrand
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Sure. But this double standard isn't written into the constitution. And Bush was occassionally boo'd (and I believe also called a liar) during speeches also.

I guess it depends on what you mean by asking "Why is Obama allowed to call his opponents liars?"

Nobody was carted away to prison for calling Obama a liar. So, I'm not sure where the "written into the constitution" applies.

Politics is what it is. People can get away with what they can get away with. If you heckle the Dear Leader during a speech, be prepared to take some slack in the media.

Bucjason
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
For everyone concerned about Obama being called a liar, didn't he just say that he was clearing up "falsehoods" about his plan? So if you say something about his plan that he doesn't like he can call you a liar but you can't throw that back at him?

It's also ok for Nancy Pelosi to call protestors "nazis".

Screw these crybabies. They can dish it out but they can't take it...

akforme
09-10-2009, 03:56 PM
If I look at this as a foreign policy issue, Wilson is a terrorist. According to our government.

Obama thru the first strike, when he struck back, Wilson was the terrorist. Obama was just trying to protect America.

If we could only beat that into the heads of the neocons.

penguin
09-10-2009, 04:14 PM

While I agree with you on the outburst but how many times was it disrupted by clapping and cheers by the dems? I can't call one outburst bad form without holding the others the same way.

andrewh817
09-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I guess it depends on what you mean by asking "Why is Obama allowed to call his opponents liars?"

Nobody was carted away to prison for calling Obama a liar. So, I'm not sure where the "written into the constitution" applies.

Politics is what it is. People can get away with what they can get away with. If you heckle the Dear Leader during a speech, be prepared to take some slack in the media.

He didn't really get away with it he apologized publicly......

mtj458
09-12-2009, 11:24 AM
The problem isn't that he called Obama a liar. Its that he did it one the floor of Congress while he was speaking. That's illegal.

Eric Arthur Blair
09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
The GOP should have stood up and walked out if they really believed in what they say, they just sat there and let Obama call them a bunch of liars, it was pathetic to watch. Thank God one man stood up to him. The left are doing the same thing here in Ireland with the Lisbon treaty, they don't argue facts because they will lose if they do and they know it so they just call you a liar instead.