PDA

View Full Version : Pres. Obama: "It will be illegal for ins. companies to drop you if you get sick"

Knightskye
09-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm watching his speech. He said it would be illegal for insurance companies to drop your coverage "if you get sick". I'm guessing he meant some really expensive procedures.

Also, right after that, he said "insurance companies will be required, at no extra charge, to provide for routine procedures," like mammograms and check-ups.

And price controls -- though he phrased it differently.

Whoo boy, what do we do?

Kotin
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
also said he would require health coverage like auto insurance..

FUCK YOU OBAMA!

Epic
09-09-2009, 07:36 PM
the individual mandate is the most harmful thing....

it totally ruins the supply/demand situation...

cause now insurance companies can charge whatever they want.... and you aren't legally allowed not to have insurance

gls
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
the individual mandate is the most harmful thing....

it totally ruins the supply/demand situation...

cause now insurance companies can charge whatever they want.... and you aren't legally allowed not to have insurance

It is nothing more than modern day, in-your-face fascism (corporatism).

If this is allowed to happen I think it is safe to officially declare the U.S. Constitution dead. If they can force us to pay them for simply existing, then there is nothing they can not do.

ShowMeLiberty
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
It is nothing more than modern day, in-your-face fascism (corporatism).

If this is allowed to happen I think it is safe to officially declare the U.S. Constitution dead. If they can force us to pay them for simply existing, then there is nothing they can not do.

Hadn't thought of it in those terms before, but you are so right. :(

Liberty Jihad
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
There is no possible way that an individual mandate and fines for failing purchase any good -- insurance, Xboxes, wheat crackers, back massages, whatever -- can possibly stand up as Constitutional in the Supreme Court. On what grounds would it be justified? I think this type of thing could lead to open rebellion in the United States.

Insurance is a measure of risk, as Dr. Paul says. So if you start making all these rules about no pre-existing conditions, no dropping patients who get sick, whatever, then premiums are simply going to go up for everyone. Maybe it will be popular, and maybe these rules should be put in place, but they will raise premiums, guaranteed.

Also, I watched the GOP response, and it was pathetic. No mention of health savings accounts. No mention of higher deductibles and letting patients pay for their own care out of pocket, which would bring market forces into the system and lower costs. Why didn't Ron Paul give the GOP response?