View Full Version : We are a go for HR1207

awake
09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Let the fireworks begin....

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=24999

dr. hfn
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Master Chief says: Finish the Fight!

Use my letter to the editor: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=24574

dannno
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
This was a good excuse for me to email my meetup group and also mention Peter Schiff's second money bomb..

devil21
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Email just received from C4L:

September 9, 2009

Dear Friend of Liberty,

Your hard work in this historic movement to Audit the Fed continues to pay off!

Thanks to the thousands of Campaign for Liberty members who have tirelessly dedicated themselves to spreading the word, gathering petitions, and putting continuous pressure on Congress by calling, writing, and faxing, Congressman Ron Paul informed C4L today that House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank has officially agreed to hold hearings on HR 1207! The hearings are tentatively scheduled for Friday, September 25 at 9:00 am.

Your efforts have resulted in Washington's most secretive institution having to defend itself before the media, the American people, and now at a House hearing specifically focused on transparency.

This exciting victory is only one more achievement in a battle that we must see through until the end.

Contact your representative and senators and urge them to cosponsor HR 1207/S 604 if they have not yet done so. If they have already signed on, tell them it is imperative that Audit the Fed receive a standalone, up or down vote on its own merits. Full transparency in our nation's monetary system is too important to be a minor footnote in yet another massive Washington bill, and C4L will vigorously oppose any attempts to include HR 1207 in a regulatory reform package that increases the Fed's power over our economy and lives.

Less than a year ago, a thorough audit of the Federal Reserve wasn't on anyone's radar. Now, we have the support of seventy five percent of the American people, almost two thirds of the House of Representatives, nearly a quarter of the Senate, and an official hearing before the House Financial Services Committee!

There will be more exciting information to follow soon, but I wanted you to know right away. Now is the time to turn the heat up even more.

Together, we will finish this fight!

In Liberty,

John Tate

President

anaconda
09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
What good does it do to have "hearings in committee?" I thought that it already has been knocked around in committee for 6 months...

Can someone please enlighten me. I need to go take Poli Sci 1 again.

And, how is this different from a floor debate? Or, is this a "floor debate?"

Can they bring in expert testimony from economists?

malkusm
09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
What good does it do to have "hearings in committee?" I thought that it already has been knocked around in committee for 6 months...

Can someone please enlighten me. I need to go take Poli Sci 1 again.

And, how is this different from a floor debate? Or, is this a "floor debate?"

Can they bring in expert testimony from economists?

The bill has never been brought in front of the committee for a hearing, which is the necessary step that must occur in order for the committee to approve a full House vote. Basically, this is the result of the committee chair (Barney Frank) sitting on his hands for months while the opposition grew to the point where he could hardly ignore it.

Not sure who will be brought in for the hearing, but anyone is fair game as I understand the process. I'd assume Bernanke and/or Geithner will testify that an audit would seriously undermine the independence of the Fed, as they have in every interview they've given for the past two months. Despite that, the bill has more than half of the committee co-sponsoring (39 of the 71 members, or about 55%), so it should pass and be brought to the House floor in due time.

I think the Senate is where the pressure needs to be at this point - unless House leadership seriously breaks convention on the bill (which isn't beneath them, but would be suspicious), this will more than likely go to the Senate Banking Committee....the fight needs to be brought to them.

In case you haven't seen them, subscribe to my H.R. 1207 / S.604 threads below to stay up to date on the status of these bills.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=186525

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=195632