PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried Joining the Media?

Feenix566
09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Everyone's talking about running for office, and joining the politicians, to change things. But what if we're looking in the wrong direction? It seems logical to join the most powerful organization in the country as a means of changing things. We've all just assumed that the most powerful organization in the country is the government. What if we're wrong? What if the most powerful organization in the country is really the media?

Think about it. Sure, the politicians propose the legislation and vote on it. But the media controls how the politicians are perceived by the people, and the people decide which politians stay in office. A lot of people join the media with the explicit intention of "changing" things.

We have plenty of people thinking of pursuing careers in politics to make our country more free. Does anyone know of anyone pursuing a career in journalism for the same reason?

I know Rand Paul and Peter Schiff could use some attention from liberty-minded journalists.

acptulsa
09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Hell, I was talking about getting control of G.E. when it was less than five bucks a share.

I read an interesting speech by a guy who worked for the New York Times in the early fifties recently. I didn't see it in my emails, so it was probably here. Can't find it, though. Essentially, you don't start at editor, and even when you do make editor there are still people above you who can and will fire you for telling too much truth.

That said, there are alternative news sources that we've been trying to get rolling. The Ladies4Liberty have some good ones on YouTube.

BuddyRey
09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I wish there were more opportunities for libertarians in the media. It's actually a career path I've seriously contemplated, but it seems we don't have enough friendly networks and outlets to really drench the public consciousness with the freedom message. If anyone needs a good libertarian Op-Ed columnist or on-air pundit without much experience who is willing to work for less, you know who to call! ;)

Feenix566
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
We could be journalists, and we don't need to ask permission from the media outlets. All we need to do is start doing some real journalistic research.

Take this article for example:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26890.html

In Kentucky, GOP Senate Contender Hits Obstacle on Path to Nomination
Rand Paul has crashed the party for Kentucky Secretary of State and establishment pick Trey Grayson
By ALEX ISENSTADT | 9/9/09 5:16 AM EDT

If Republicans thought their headaches in the Kentucky Senate race were over when Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.) announced his retirement, they were wrong.

Rand Paul, the son of former presidential candidate and Texas GOP Rep. Ron Paul, has crashed the party for Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who is widely regarded as the establishment pick to succeed the 77-year-old Bunning.

While Paul, an ophthalmologist, is a long shot, his presence in the contest all but guarantees that Grayson will be embroiled in an expensive and potentially damaging primary contest.

It’s not the scenario the GOP was hoping for. Party officials had been maneuvering behind the scenes for months to ease out Bunning, the irascible former Major League Baseball pitcher who was widely viewed as unlikely to hold his seat against a credible Democrat. The idea was to clear a path for Grayson, who has twice been elected statewide.

“From a larger tactical perspective, I think the fact that both Grayson and Paul will raise and spend a lot of money is something the party wanted to avoid,” said Scott Jennings, a Louisville-based GOP strategist who served as deputy political director in the George W. Bush White House.

“I think it is frustrating. There certainly is a dynamic where you’d rather [Paul] not be there,” said Ted Jackson, a top Republican strategist in the state who is supporting Grayson. “If you could wish it away, you would wish it away. [Grayson is] going to have to spend money in a primary campaign.”

The heart of the GOP establishment’s problem is Paul’s ability to generate campaign cash through the same channels as his father. A widely publicized Aug. 20 “money bomb” Internet outreach to his father’s grass-roots donor list raised about $800,000. Just as troubling for GOP officials, an August SurveyUSA automated poll showed Grayson leading Paul just 37 percent to 26 percent — putting the insurgent Paul within striking distance.

All the while, Paul has sought to rally the support of his father’s backers — libertarian-minded voters who are politically active, not firmly tethered to the GOP and willing to donate.

“The risk is underestimating [Paul] — not because he is such a great candidate but because he inherits a grass-roots organization from his father,” said one Washington-based strategist who is watching the race closely.

But even as Grayson gears up for a primary, there is considerable doubt among state Republicans about how much traction Paul can actually gain, regardless of how much he spends.

While Kentucky’s Republican primary electorate is conservative, party insiders say, it is traditionally conservative — not necessarily anti-government conservative.

It was written by a guy named Alex Isenstadt. All he did was call up a bunch of political strategists for opinions on the Kentucky race. Then he wrote his article and published it on Politico. He probably did the whole thing from his home office. His bias is blatantly obvious in the way he phrases things in the article.

Why is Alex Isenstadt beating us at this game?

Matt Collins
09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I work in talk radio in Nashville as a producer. I have influence in what makes makes it on the air.

BuddyRey
09-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Bump!