PDA

View Full Version : Immigration activists urge census boycott

disorderlyvision
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/08/proposed_boycott_of_census_divides_immigrant_commu nity_in_massachusetts/

A small but vocal group of advocates is urging illegal immigrants and their supporters nationwide to boycott the 2010 Census to protest the government’s inaction on immigration legislation, a move that, if successful, could cost Massachusetts and other states millions of dollars.

The campaign is setting off alarms across the United States because census figures are crucial to determining how much federal funding cities and towns receive. A large-scale boycott, state officials and prominent pro-immigrant groups warn, could force Massachusetts to cut services from school lunch programs to highway construction, and heighten its chances of losing a seat in Congress.

PaulaGem
09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
If we have the illegals boycotting the census, why don't we get a movement for citizens to boycot the census too?

What would happen if 50% of the country decided the census was going too far?

acptulsa
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Hmmm...

Well, I could see a one state boycott being a wonderful thing because it would demonstrate where the Federal government's real power lies and how they skirt the letter and intent of the Constitution by playing middleman and controlling the money. That said, I think there needs to be a nationwide boycott of the enclosed survey. In any case, there'll be a survey in my trash can next year.

dave68
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
In 1990 mine went into the garbage. I am not doing anything to help liberal NY with getting more fed dollars, or retaining idiots in office.

slothman
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
In 1990 mine went into the garbage. I am not doing anything to help liberal NY with getting more fed dollars, or retaining idiots in office.

Unluckily for you I, a New Yorker, will keep my census and fill it out.

Hopefully if it does occur it will probably be on more red states.
I wouldn't mind of Texas loses a Congressional seat, or at least doesn't gain one.