PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: 11 Accused Faking Voter's Registration

Dianne
09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/miami/sfl-acorn-fakes-bn090909,0,1394861.story

I suspect this took place in all cities.

11 accused of faking voter registration cards in Miami-Dade

Miami Herald

10:03 a.m. EDT, September 9, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text size

Eleven people hired to register potential voters in Miami-Dade County before last year's presidential election were being sought Wednesday for falsifying hundreds of voter registration cards.

The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office issued arrest warrants for each of the 11 suspects, all of whom worked for the local chapter of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, (ACORN).

By early Wednesday morning, five were in custody, authorities said.

ACORN came under fire during last year's presidential campaign when Republicans and other conservative groups accused the national organization of committing fraud in its aggressive voter registration efforts in various cities and counties nationwide, including Florida.

But ACORN officials said they had alerted authorities about the alleged illegal activity among some canvassers in Miami-Dade after finding ``numerous discrepancies'' on voter cards collected from the Homestead area.

The arrests are ``further evidence we've been policing our own folks and report people attempting to commit voter registration fraud,'' said ACORN spokesman Brian Kettenring. ``This was really some individuals who were trying to defraud their employer.''

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernández Rundle praised ACORN.

``We've been very aggressive about a lot of these cases,'' she said. ``But we would not have known about these workers unless ACORN brought it to us.

``It's really minor, ineffectual attempts to justify getting paid an hourly basis. It could not have impacted the voting process whatsoever. Nonetheless, we cannot turn a blind eye to this,'' Rundle added.

ACORN quality control workers found the discrepancies in the cards turned in by 10 canvassers and contacted authorities in June 2008, according to the arrest warrant in the case. The group turned in 1,400 cards, of which 888 were found to be fraudulent.

An analyst with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement later reviewed a random group of cards, searching databases to find a record of the voter.

The cards ``contained personal information that did not match an actual person,'' the warrant said.

The workers, who were paid between $8 and $10 an hour, registered names of nonexistent people -- in one case, Paul Newman and James Taylor appeared on cards -- or simply filled out several cards for the same real voter, authorities said.

Those arrested are charged with several counts of false swearing in connection with voting or elections and submission of false voter registration information, both third-degree felonies.

Miami Herald staff writer David Ovalle contributed to this report

catdd
09-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Democrats are shooting themselves in both feet.

Zippyjuan
09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
``But we would not have known about these workers unless ACORN brought it to us.

Paying people by the number of signatures they collect give them an incentive to even make them up to get more money. I think in one case somebody copied names out of a phone book. Any of those fake registrations actually show up to vote?
I think it was in Utah that there were Republicans running voter registration at places like outside grocery stores- and throwing out any who signed up as Democrats. Both parties play around with voter registration.

Deborah K
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
ACORN! It figures. Michael Scheuer told me he had coffee with an acquaintance of his who works for the census bureau. (and you may know that Obama gave ACORN control of the 2010 census). Mike told me this guy was very agitated about this, and said that they intend to put a question on the census asking people if they own guns. If people answer in the affirmative, then they have to list the guns with the census. Now if you go to the census, the question isn't there yet. I called and emailed everyone known to man on this issue and got no interest in it - INCLUDING NRA, GOA, etc.

I guess we'll see .......