PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich Takes First Step Towards Run

Bradley in DC
09-29-2007, 06:49 AM
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/09/28/gingrich_takes_first_step_towards_run.html

Gingrich Takes First Step Towards Run

Newt Gingrich "will open a Web site by Monday in an effort to round up the $30 million in pledges that he says would be his ticket to entering the race for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination," The Politico reports.

During a recent breakfast with reporters, Gingrich "made it clear he has given a great deal of thought to how he would run, starting with a national television ad that would be heavy on his substantive ideas. That might be followed with DVDs of his agenda to households in early-voting states.

Cowlesy
09-29-2007, 07:16 AM
He's running. I've spoken with a couple heavy-hitter Bush guys who haven't donated a nickel yet to anyone as they are waiting for Newt to get in the race.

Corydoras
09-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Newt's glory days are ten years gone. I don't know how many people are nostalgic for him. This bears watching.

Richie
09-29-2007, 08:27 AM
They failed with Fred, now they're trying Newt. Getting awfully desperate. :cool:

Givemelibertyor.....
09-29-2007, 08:28 AM
C'mon Newt!

Divide that neocon vote some more. :p

Original_Intent
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Some have speculated that the $30 million is prohibitively high, I suspect he gave that number because he already has "assurances" that he can get that much.

Even Thompson's lousy 7 mill could help Newt appear that much more viable if he were to raise $30 mill.

Even though Newt is a lousy neo-con, he could debate circles around the other neo-cons and could probably hold his own against RP in a debate. So split the pro-war vote or not, I don't think Newt in the race helps us.

The best ammo we have, I think, is to go back to the contract with America and point out how much of that contract was breached.

Alabama Supporter
09-29-2007, 08:43 AM
What would happen if you make a pledge for the $30 mil, but don't pay up? He won't be taking contributions, only pledges for now.

Corydoras
09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
How he plans to run a campaign by January with nothing but pledges is a mystery. Maybe he'll create money out of thin air to do it!