PDA

View Full Version : GA Poll: Obama LOSING SUPPORT AMONG BLACKS!

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Now can we quit continuing the media propagated myth that Obama is only losing support among white voters?

http://www.newsmax.com/matt_towery/obama_atlanta_georgia/2009/08/06/244911.html

Georgia Polls: Obama Losing Black Support

Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:12 PM

By: Matt Towery Article Font Size

It's just one state. But it’s one of the centers of African-American culture and influence in the nation. Atlanta, with nearly 6 million residents in its metro area, is home to hundreds of top black musicians and other entertainers, civil rights leaders, and business entrepreneurs. Janet Jackson, Usher, Tyler Perry, and Andrew Young are just a handful of the many big names that can be found moving about the Georgia city on a given day.

That's why I was startled when our firm, InsiderAdvantage, conducted this past week two separate surveys about various issues for corporate clients in the area. Both polls were conducted on the same night. To keep phone respondents on the line while the poll quizzed them on rather mundane subjects, they were told they'd be given a chance during the questioning to offer an opinion on the job performances of certain political leaders.

I was shocked when one survey showed President Barack Obama with a disapproval rating of 35 percent among African Americans in Georgia, while the second one had it at 38 percent. Those two results are statistically identical, as both polls had margins of error of plus or minus 4 percent.

Obama still shows relatively strong support coming from blacks in national surveys. So how do these two Georgia polls make sense?

At first blush, they don't. But I'm highly confident in our ability to gauge the opinions of black voters in Georgia and other Southern states. Our firm was the only one that indicated just how well Obama would fare in Georgia in the election last November. He got 47 percent of the vote, and might have done even better had he concentrated campaign resources here until Election Day.

Is Georgia an anomaly, or does it portend ominous things for the president? To answer that we first need a bit more background.

As I mentioned, Georgia has one of the highest African-American populations in the nation, and the state and Atlanta have had the fastest, or one of the fastest, black population spikes in America over the last decade or so. Until the current economic slide, this was a boom town, with recording studios, television production centers, high-end retail stores, real estate sales, and a host of high-paying jobs all helping to provide economic and other opportunities for those seeking it actively enough.

The housing market, fueled by easy credit for loans, was sonic-booming, and the effect of this was radiating to other regions of this ninth most-populated state.

The good times finally ended, and later than in many states. In Georgia, the crash came with a radical jolt, and it brought down many an upwardly mobile person.

Suddenly, the state started leading the nation in negative indicators, such as unemployment, foreclosures, bank failures, and bankruptcies. Reality struck quick and hard.

My best guess is that the current black polling numbers for Obama are somewhat unusual in Georgia because black professionals and the black middle class here have had to get in the unemployment line alongside younger workers who've only recently moved to the city and state; and many of them, too, have seen their houses foreclosed on.

To add to discontent, now blacks (and others) that have relocated to metro Atlanta are hearing that their drinking water supply could be in jeopardy. A recent federal court ruling has it that when the Lake Lanier reservoir was built decades ago, the state of Georgia waved its rights to tap the lake for drinking water. (It does so anyway, at least for now.) No one back then could have imagined a huge metropolitan area of nearly 6 million people so badly needing so much water.

In sum, what many blacks have long considered to be the nation's African-American capital is now a region that's suffering.

I believe this anxiety is filtering into public opinion polls, including ones that ask about the president. Now the question lingers: Will government's apparent inability to effect the promised positive "change" begin to fan discontent in other black communities across the nation? Or will this encroaching uneasiness with Obama stay limited to this one snapshot in time in this one Southern state? We can't yet know, but the early signs are there.

Matt Towery is author of the new book, "Paranoid Nation: The Real Story of the 2009 Fight for the Presidency." He heads the polling and political information firm InsiderAdvantage.

InterestedParticipant
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
yup... here's what I said in that other thread referring to the LAT article on the PEW Poll .....

I don't believe the results in this poll. I downloaded the Pew pdf file and they claim that 90% of blacks like this turkey? I call BS on that. Any African American that hasn't sold out know what this chump is.... a phony baloney.

This guy was never ever run as a candidate to appeal to blacks, he was run to appeal to politically correct whites. Blacks were coerced into voting for this chump by the Democratic machine.

Reason
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Posting polls every time they change and then circle-jerking all over them is amazingly enlightening, productive, intelligent and a completely worthwhile use of our time.

james1906
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I saw a black guy at Ikea today wearing a 'black Mount Rushmore's shirt. It had pictures of Frederick Douglass, Malcolm X, and Obama (I didn't see the 4th person). It made me upset.

Is it wrong that I as a white guy am more upset to see two great Americans demeaned?

speciallyblend
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I saw a black guy at Ikea today wearing a 'black Mount Rushmore's shirt. It had pictures of Frederick Douglass, Malcolm X, and Obama (I didn't see the 4th person). It made me upset.

Is it wrong that I as a white guy am more upset to see two great Americans demeaned?

personally i like the indian mt rushmore;) and the shirt that has 4 indians with guns/ fighting terrorism since 1492;) homeland security

as a white man i have no problem with the indian mt rushmore! or the indians fighting terrorism in our country:)

catdd
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
What did they expect anyway?
The position of POTUS isn't some kind of popularity contest. You actually have to vote for the person who's foreign and domestic POLICIES make the most sense.
The guy danced around and avoided every important topic during the primaries and Presidential campaign, and anyone could see he was clueless on the economy.
I'm not surprised one bit that once the thrill of "making history" has passed people are quickly becoming disillusioned with the guy.
Let it be a lesson.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Posting polls every time they change and then circle-jerking all over them is amazingly enlightening, productive, intelligent and a completely worthwhile use of our time.

:rolleyes: Except this isn't your run of the mill poll. It points to the fact that Obama isn't uniformly supported by African Americans. This is something you can use the next time someone calls you "racist" for not supporting Obamacare. Polls like this also show where new tactics might be warranted. Take the recent Rand for senate poll. It shows that he's doing great among young people, but he needs to make ground among the elderly. At the same time Obama is losing ground among elderly voters. That means that there votes could be in play in KY as well as the rest of the country. We can make use of that information and actual reach out to retirement centers, or we can sit around making crude remarks about "circle jerking".

Liberty Star
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Now can we quit continuing the media propagated myth that Obama is only losing support among white voters?

I think you're right, Obama has staretd to lose support among Dems/Indies across the board.

This has to be due to his badly bungled war violence policies. Last month was the deadliest month of for US in Afghanistan, today 4 US troops killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq. His change secret has started to get out even among Dems it seems, he is looking more and more like a puppet in the hands of same masters, only this time it's a more colorful act and showmanship.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
What did they expect anyway?
The position of POTUS isn't some kind of popularity contest. You actually have to vote for the person who's foreign and domestic POLICIES make the most sense.
The guy danced around and avoided every important topic during the primaries and Presidential campaign. Anyone could see he was clueless on the economy.
I'm not surprised one bit that once the thrill of "making history" has passed people are quickly becoming disillusioned with the guy.
Let it be a lesson.

They expected that he wasn't George Bush or John McCain. But alas you've missed the point of the entire thread. Those votes are in play and we should look for ways of winning them over instead of ways to look down on people! Think about it. Say if 50% of African Americans had voted for John McCain and McCain had won the presidency? (His numbers were so bad that I'm not sure he would have won even if he got 50% of the black vote, but let's just use that number for the sake of argument.) Would the country really be that much better off? Because, frankly, I didn't see that much difference between McCain and Obama.

The point is (as I said in another thread) people were giving a "choice" between elephant dung and donkey dung. We just had 8 years of elephant dung, so whites and blacks choose donkey dung. Most blacks might have chosen donkey dung regardless, but in the end does it really matter? It still comes up dung. We didn't do a good enough job getting the message out. And I'm including myself in the "we". And yes I worked my butt off, but not all of my work was productive. We can sit around and complain and say "I told you so" to this constituency that voted for donkey dung or that constituency that voted for elephant dung or we could come to the realization that both the elephant dung and donkey dung eaters want something else and try to show them a different menu.

catdd
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Well still, you can't discount the fact that no one was voting on policy and that they were consumed with superficiality.
You can say they didn't have a choice but that's just going backwards.
You have to vote on policies.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
personally i like the indian mt rushmore;) and the shirt that has 4 indians with guns/ fighting terrorism since 1492;) homeland security

as a white man i have no problem with the indian mt rushmore! or the indians fighting terrorism in our country:)

The Canadians venerate Tecumseh for defending their country in the war of 1812. One man's terrorist another man's freedom fighter.

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Well still, you can't discount the fact that no one was voting on policy and that they were consumed with superficiality.
You can say they didn't have a choice but that's just going backwards.
You have to vote on policies.

I think most who voted for Obama were voting against Bush policies like the Iraq war. Sure Obama never gave a firm answer about how he was going to end that war, but at least he didn't try to defend it. People also believed his stated policy that he would review the Bush executive orders and overturn the unconstitutional ones. Seems easy enough to do. I knew he was lying but I'm not your average "the politicians in my party of choice at least mean well" voters. Folks thought he was going to close Gitmo and end torture. I bet some folks still think that's actually happened because of the way the media has (mis)reported this story.

Anyway, until people become so jaded that they realize that any vote for the lesser of two evils is the real wasted vote we're sunk. I'm all ears on solutions for helping people black and white reach that point.

Epic
09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Blacks at 91% approval in gallup poll
http://www.gallup.com/poll/121199/Obama-Weekly-Job-Approval-Demographic-Groups.aspx

Grrrrrr......

If I were a collectivist, I'd harshly judge this collective for their political opinion....

Liberty Star
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM

You're right in that Obama's win was not about his leadership or accomplishments, it was more about a rebuke for Bush/Cheney and their necon cabal. Majority of Americans, not just white / black or any particular political ideological group, were so repulsed by what Bush/Cheney had accomplished that they wented to elect someone as different from them as possible. Obama's best "qualification" was that he had nothing in common with Bush/Cheney , or so did the marketing campaign told people. But turns out imuch of that was superficial as more and more people are finding out.

Looking for the silverlining, time will tell what corrective effect if any this Obama punishment would have on those who enabled Bush/Cheney, so far it's been looking like a collective punishment for everyone.

catdd
09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
"Anyway, until people become so jaded that they realize that any vote for the lesser of two evils is the real wasted vote we're sunk"

That's why I am being so harsh at this time. I'm not trying to beat people down for making a mistake, I would just like to see this be a hard lesson learned for the entire nation.
I would like to see the American people vote on polices and not personalities.
Had everyone done that Ron Paul would have won in a landslide - no doubt about it.

But McCain had neither personality or an intelligent strategy on foreign and domestics. How the hell did HE get so far???

WarDog
09-08-2009, 08:45 PM
They will just blame the Crackers so as to get us to fight among ourselves & each other.

When no man is safe when freedom fails the best men rout in filthy jails why those who cry appease appease are hung by those they tried to please

speciallyblend
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
"Anyway, until people become so jaded that they realize that any vote for the lesser of two evils is the real wasted vote we're sunk"

That's why I am being so harsh at this time. I'm not trying to beat people down for making a mistake, I would just like to see this be a hard lesson learned for the entire nation.
I would like to see the American people vote on polices and not personalities.
Had everyone done that Ron Paul would have won in a landslide - no doubt about it.

But McCain had neither personality or an intelligent strategy on foreign and domestics. How the hell did HE get so far???

easy answer 3 letters gop!

No1ButPaul08
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
But I'm highly confident in our ability to gauge the opinions of black voters in Georgia and other Southern states. Our firm was the only one that indicated just how well Obama would fare in Georgia in the election last November. He got 47 percent of the vote, and might have done even better had he concentrated campaign resources here until Election Day.

As well he should be. InsiderAdvantage, the firm who conducted this poll, was very accurate this election season, especially in Georgia as he notes. Not only were they the only ones predicting how well Obama would do in GA, they were also the only ones to predict Huckabee would win the Republican Primary.

Beyond this, Towery whose firm is non-partisan, is a conservative himself. He was very kind to Ron Paul during election season, even concluding that Ronald Reagan, if alive, would have voted for Ron Paul. I'm pretty confident Towery voted for Paul himself.

catdd
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I think disgruntled Democrats and Republicans will both be looking harder towards a 3rd party candidate next time.

speciallyblend
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I think most who voted for Obama were voting against Bush policies like the Iraq war. Sure Obama never gave a firm answer about how he was going to end that war, but at least he didn't try to defend it. People also believed his stated policy that he would review the Bush executive orders and overturn the unconstitutional ones. Seems easy enough to do. I knew he was lying but I'm not your average "the politicians in my party of choice at least mean well" voters. Folks thought he was going to close Gitmo and end torture. I bet some folks still think that's actually happened because of the way the media has (mis)reported this story.

Anyway, until people become so jaded that they realize that any vote for the lesser of two evils is the real wasted vote we're sunk. I'm all ears on solutions for helping people black and white reach that point.

i agree with you, most voted against mccain/bush policies not for obama! americans rejected bush policies by rejecting mccain!! as i keep telling folks the gop lost the election at their own conventions! when they alienated republicans at the republican state conventions by force feeding us the mccain/gop party line bs!!

speciallyblend
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I think disgruntled Democrats and Republicans will both be looking harder towards a 3rd party candidate next time.

they already have been;) more americans have voted 3rd party in the last 4 pres elections then before in election history:)

jmdrake
09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Blacks at 91% approval in gallup poll
http://www.gallup.com/poll/121199/Obama-Weekly-Job-Approval-Demographic-Groups.aspx

Grrrrrr......

If I were a collectivist, I'd harshly judge this collective for their political opinion....

My numbers were from a particular region (near Atlanta). But that area of the country is very influential in black circles. If his popularity there ever drops to near 50% he's toast.

That said the gallup numbers you posted showed a drop to 86% right before a bump to 91%. I'm no expert poll watcher, but that seems like a mighty big swing.

tangent4ronpaul
09-09-2009, 02:45 AM

I OWN THAT SHIRT!

TOTALLY COOL!

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-09-2009, 03:05 AM
This is a perfect storm! - look at the Dems dig their own grave!

We are in a down economy. 1 in 6 or 1 in 7 ppl do not have health insurance - many because they are unemployed. Many because they are just getting by. Now think mortgages and the effect of these people being forced at the point of a gun, so are barely hanging on right now, of being FORCED to hand over 12+ % of their income to buy insurance.... Can you say REVOLT! - I thought you could!

On top of this, it will hit the young and healthy hardest. Those that make the least.

Grab some popcorn and sit back to watch the fireworks! - Corporate greed and the gvmt nanny state is doing a tap dance on their penis - while wearing golf shoes!

And this is on top of "cap and trade" making allready high utility bills 60+ % higher!

-t

Objectivist
09-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Somebody PLEASE interview JC Watts.... PUUUUULLLEEEEEZZZEEE.

nobody's_hero
09-09-2009, 04:23 AM
We in Georgia have a black guy running for governor as a libertarian (www.votemonds.com).

As hard as it is to avoid breaking things down in to racial statistics, it is going to be interesting to see whether or not he draws the proportional black vote in the gubernatorial race, or if the blacks who supported Obama continue to support the democrats because they promise free stuff. Or, if we could ideally get people to recongize individuals as individuals and believe that freedom unites people, that'd be great too.

But, there will be polls, so there will be a study of race and categorization. It wouldn't be politics without it.

jmdrake
09-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Somebody PLEASE interview JC Watts.... PUUUUULLLEEEEEZZZEEE.

JC Watts is of limited help. He supported Bush. A better interview (which has already been done) is Cornell West. He campaigned for Obama and has now turned against him.

acptulsa
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM

That's what I tried to tell the nurses in the hospital who kept waking my mother up to check her vitals. Didn't convince them either.

Actually, we had better keep track of trends if we want to succeed, wouldn't you say?

I personally think Obama has done his job for the African Americans. He shattered the glass ceiling. Now, all of the "Yes We Did" shirts have been sold, well, the next question will be 'what have you done for me lately?' and the answer will be 'robbed you just like that cracker Bush'.

I think tptb miscalculated, myself. They figured Stormfront would be mad enough to wreak havoc, but I guess they know better. They seem content to let him go down in the history books as an abject failure. So, they tip their hands by calling everyone and his dog racist whether it's true or not, and the minorities say, gee, what have we got to be mad about now? And the answer to that is obvious--they're being used to help the powerful rob us all...

Major miscalculation. Now that the minorities know who the enemy isn't, it'll be easier to help them see who the enemy is.

jmdrake
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
We in Georgia have a black guy running for governor as a libertarian (www.votemonds.com).

As hard as it is to avoid breaking things down in to racial statistics, it is going to be interesting to see whether or not he draws the proportional black vote in the gubernatorial race, or if the blacks who supported Obama continue to support the democrats because they promise free stuff. Or, if we could ideally get people to recongize individuals as individuals and believe that freedom unites people, that'd be great too.

But, there will be polls, so there will be a study of race and categorization. It wouldn't be politics without it.

We need to do a money bomb for this guy! Seriously. One thing that voters in all demographics suffer from is the "I can't vote for this guy because even though I like him he's not a viable candidate". That and without money he won't be able to get his message out to the point were people can make an intelligent choice as to whether they like him or not. And even if the word does get out, old habits die hard. I remember in 2004 thinking to myself "I really don't want to vote for Kerry. But anything to get Bush out." I remember seeing one of Badnarik's debt billboards (in Atlanta) and thinking to myself "Wow! Someone actually talking about something important." But breaking the "I'll throwaway my vote if I vote third party" mindlock is tough. It wasn't until Kerry broke his promise to "make sure every vote is counted" that I realized the vote for the "lesser of two evils" is the REAL wasted vote.

Regards,

John M. Drake

BlackTerrel
09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
My numbers were from a particular region (near Atlanta). But that area of the country is very influential in black circles. If his popularity there ever drops to near 50% he's toast.

So you chose a very PARTICULAR REGION and used this show that Obama is losing support among blacks? Seems highly suspect. What were the numbers for Obama in this region previously? Why not just do a national poll?

I would be happy if this were true, but I'm also not an idiot. Newsmax and WND seem to go for the same demographic. WND's traffic went through the roof with the whole fake Obama birth certificate... guess fake news is good news.

Objectivist
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
JC Watts is of limited help. He supported Bush. A better interview (which has already been done) is Cornell West. He campaigned for Obama and has now turned against him.

The point with Watts is he had fallen from the limelight and then came out publicly and said he was voting for Obama. In the past he spouted off conservative ideals for the "party". I'd like to see him squirm in light of his previous political ideals.

How does a Man throw his ideals out the window so quickly? Very shallow and very weak.

lisajames96
09-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Hi jmdrake,
Where have you seen this? Do you have an article or video?

jmdrake
09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi jmdrake,
Where have you seen this? Do you have an article or video?

I've been meaning to turn this into a YouTube but I just haven't gotten around to it. But here is an online archive of the show.

http://www.tavissmileyradio.com/theshow_090327.html

He calls Obama a "newliberal" who is "controlled by Wall Street".

jmdrake
09-09-2009, 06:59 PM
The point with Watts is he had fallen from the limelight and then came out publicly and said he was voting for Obama. In the past he spouted off conservative ideals for the "party". I'd like to see him squirm in light of his previous political ideals.

How does a Man throw his ideals out the window so quickly? Very shallow and very weak.

:eek: Wow! I never would have believed that if you hadn't told me.

Hmmmm...

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=67247

Reading this it reminds me of Tony Brown. He joined the GOP (sometime in the 1980s if I remember right) because he was tired of the democrats taking the black vote for granted. But then he got sick of the hypocrisy in the GOP.