PDA

View Full Version : According to Ancient Greeks, You're Not Free?

Reason
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
YouTube - According to Ancient Greeks, You're Not Free (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtF9ENe0ic)

thasre
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
So... I take it he ends his talk with a call for Greek-style "freedom"? I mean, assuming he's a Democrat.

Bucjason
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Mob rule is not freedom . This is why Ancient Greece fell.

Bman
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Nothing against the greeks, but I am not greek nor do I have any desire to be greek. Especially an ancient greek, because that would mean that I would be dead.

slothman
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
So... I take it he ends his talk with a call for Greek-style "freedom"? I mean, assuming he's a Democrat.
He must be a Democrat because he doesn't agree with you.

P.S. This ignores the fact that big-r Republicans and bid-d Democrats are the same.
Almost all of Congress is of those 2 parties.

Dreamofunity
09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I agree with his assessment, which is also why I disagree a lot with ancient Greeks. I respect the greats for their input on metaphysics, epistemology, and axiology, as well as for improvements in culture and other aspects that the Greeks brought; but as far as political philosophy goes, I'd much rather read Jefferson or Rothbard over Plato.

Vessol
09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Mob rule is not freedom . This is why Ancient Greece fell.

This.

Direct Democracy in the wide scale will never work.

RideTheDirt
09-08-2009, 11:21 PM
The greeks weren't "free" and neither are we.

TER
09-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Comparing Ancient Greece and the US is like comparing the initial strokes of a painting with the final finished masterpiece.
The reason Ancient Greece is revered as the 'cradle of civilization' is because it was there that the idea that power and voice should be spread amongst the people and where democracy was first born. Was it the perfect example of a free society? No. But it was history's first example of such a society and resulted in one of mankind's greatest leaps in the arts and sciences, showing all the world forever after wards that freedom breeds progress.
Of course, combating the desire for tyranny and greed amongst its members is the great struggle all such societies must endure, as we the American people are experiencing now.