PDA

View Full Version : Legislation introduced to require senate confirmation of czar's...

Reason
09-08-2009, 09:48 AM
YouTube - Rep. Kingston: To Put it in Perspective, Czarist Russia had 18 Czars. We're Up to 34 Now. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JtFo5AE_E)

awake
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
They will simply confirm all of them and validate the whole idea of Czars. This is not some sort of win, it is a loss, as they are just endorsing the idea of Czars as long as they can play.

InterestedParticipant
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
May I suggest that we stop using this term "Czar". There is nothing American about that term, and it symbolizes a Soviet regime.

SelfTaught
09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
May I suggest that we stop using this term "Czar". There is nothing American about that term, and it symbolizes a Soviet regime.

I think thats the point. We SHOULD keep using it so people (well, the informed ones) are reminded of the Soviet connection.

Dianne
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Why? Even the liberal CNN often referred to as the communist news network refers to these positions as Czars:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/07/obama.czars/index.html?iref=newssearch

Jones' resignation puts focus on criticism of Obama's 'czars'

Bruno
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I think thats the point. We SHOULD keep using it so people (well, the informed ones) are reminded of the Soviet connection.

Wasn't it Biden who suggested the first Drug Czar and use of the name?

Kbeaubs
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
The President . . . shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law. . . .

(Article II, Section 2, Clause 2)

Matt Collins
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Personal friend, DC attorney, and Campaign for Liberty member, Nicole Kardell, goes on Russian TV to discuss the new "anti-czar" bill :D

YouTube - Are Republicans trying to get rid of Obama appointees with an anti-czar bill? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_551HoBLhU)

tangent4ronpaul
09-15-2009, 01:14 PM
short and sweet:

HR 3226 IH

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 3226

To provide that appropriated funds may not be used to pay for any salaries or expenses of any task force, council, or similar office which is established by or at the direction of the President and headed by an individual who has been inappropriately appointed to such position (on other than an interim basis), without the advice and consent of the Senate.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

July 15, 2009

Mr. KINGSTON (for himself, Mr. CARTER, Mr. ALEXANDER, Mr. BRADY of Texas, Mr. BROUN of Georgia, Mr. LATTA, Mrs. BACHMANN, Mr. POE of Texas, Mr. PITTS, Mr. FLEMING, Mr. LINDER, Mr. CAMPBELL, Mr. CHAFFETZ, Mr. KING of Iowa, Mr. HOEKSTRA, Ms. FALLIN, Mr. SHADEGG, and Mr. LAMBORN) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform

A BILL

To provide that appropriated funds may not be used to pay for any salaries or expenses of any task force, council, or similar office which is established by or at the direction of the President and headed by an individual who has been inappropriately appointed to such position (on other than an interim basis), without the advice and consent of the Senate.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ‘Czar Accountability and Reform (CZAR) Act of 2009’.

SEC. 2. LIMITATION.

(a) In General- Appropriated funds may not be used to pay for any salaries or expenses of any task force, council, or similar office--

(1) which is established by or at the direction of the President; and

(2) the head of which--

(A) is appointed to such position (on other than an interim basis) without the advice and consent of the Senate;

(B) is excepted from the competitive service by reason of its confidential, policy-determining, the policy-making, or policy-advocating character; and

(C) performs or delegates functions which (but for the establishment of such task force, council, or similar office) would be performed or delegated by an individual in a position to which the President appoints an individual by and with the advice and consent of the Senate.

(b) Definition- For purposes of this section, the term ‘competitive service’ has the meaning given such term by section 2102 of title 5, United States Code.

ShowMeLiberty
09-15-2009, 01:26 PM

I guess that's true in the sense that a lot of people now associate the term "czar" with the Soviet Union, but actually, the early Soviets removed the last Czar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_II_of_Russia#Tsarevich) (also spelled "Tsar") when the Bolshevik Revolution overthrew the Russian monarchy and took control of the country.

InterestedParticipant
09-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I refuse to use that word when discussing the government of the United States of America. I will not let their semantics into my language.

tangent4ronpaul
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
99 Cosponsors, 98 Repubs and 1 Dem. The dem is William Clay D-MO
Dr. Paul is a co-sponsor.

-t